The Girl shows how to blow your fire to a blaze from the comfort of your sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
A fantastic use of the Venturi effect allows you to blow a very focussed and fast moving blast of air into your fire from afar.

Try it. You'll like it. See how far back you can sit and still have the effect

[video=youtube_share;SoJWFtBZpWU]http://youtu.be/SoJWFtBZpWU[/video]

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I carry a blow poker , I'll try the knife and hand techniques tonight.

Imho this isn't the venturi effect. .

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
That's not a venturi effect though. A venturi effect is when air or liquid passes over a ...eg. tube.....the passing over of the air or fluid.....'draws' the air or fluid upwards into the flow.

A few examples.....a spray gun , shot blasting gun , carburetor.....

What your describing is a 'choke' like that of a gun , hose pipe nozzle .
With good lung power I can blow just as far with pursed lips as I can with your technique.

I'm not knocking your technique.....it's just the wording is a misinterpretation of 'venturi' imho 😜

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
handy tips, i've got asthma and it is a hassle when i have to get too close to the fire to blow air into it and get the accidental lungful, i carry a piece of 5mm bore airhose in my kit so i can direct it into the fire and blow air through it whilst sitting well enough away

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Oooh nice one. Of course it would. I'll try that.

Half my face is paralysed and I cannot purse my lips well , without using one hand to squeeze my lips, so adaptation is the name of the game. I also use a length of Elder, de-pithed, as a blow pipe. I have long ones and a short one that lives in my fire pouch .

That's not a venturi effect though. A venturi effect is when air or liquid passes over a ...eg. tube.....the passing over of the air or fluid.....'draws' the air or fluid upwards into the flow.

A few examples.....a spray gun , shot blasting gun , carburetor.....

What your describing is a 'choke' like that of a gun , hose pipe nozzle .
With good lung power I can blow just as far with pursed lips as I can with your technique.

I'm not knocking your technique.....it's just the wording is a misinterpretation of 'venturi' imho 

Glad you like the technique...

To be pendantic....(..and since I am the one who stated it to be a Venturi effect in the first place, I will indeed permit myself this bit of pendantry.)

:)

The Venturi effect is defined simply as:

The Venturi effect is a phenomenon that occurs when fluid going through a pipe is forced through a narrow section. This results in a pressure decrease and a velocity increase. It was named for an Italian physicist, Giovanni Battista Venturi.

We are using the velocity increase.

An example is also the taper inside a modern clarinet which increases airspeed and improves the sound of the instrument.

Pursed lips, if strong enough, and able to be held long enough, would have the same effect. So does the lanyard hole.

Here is the definition: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venturi_effect

Last edited:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I was wondering how long it would take for this thread to become an argument. All of Susanne's threads do, somehow :) (no criticism, just an observation)

Nice tip. I always carry a blow poker as well, as it makes such a difference to firelighting and especially fire establishment.

I was wondering how long it would take for this thread to become an argument. All of Susanne's threads do, somehow :) (no criticism, just an observation)

Nice tip. I always carry a blow poker as well, as it makes such a difference to firelighting and especially fire establishment.
Oh this one isn't too bad really. Always good to be clear on definitions.

Yeah I wonder about that too. Oh well. I'll just keep on doing my thing and presenting the results. Everyone is free to form their own opinion. And of course, to use the techinques or not.

I will generally respond to factual incorrectness or (loud) opinion portrayed as The Truth, because it's a shame to have loud opinion override thoughtful experimental judgement, and coming to ones own conclusions. (And yeah sometimes I can't be bothered if the matter is trivial). Generally, if I post something, I will have researched it pretty well beforehand. Always glad to be corrected, but not just talked over.

Anyway...

I like blow pokers too, especially since they have many other uses.

But it is one more thing to carry... Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

Peace bros and sisters

S

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
When I saw Susanne use this technique, I though of the straw that we carry could be used in this manner. Replace straw with a metal tube, and now have one end in an internal hex fitting and could fit 6mm/1/4" screw driver fittings of shape and size that would be the most useful to each. A hole drilled at the other end would allow for a nail or such to be used as a driver for such torquing screw fittings. Should have other posters also imputing their own variation.

When I saw Susanne use this technique, I though of the straw that we carry could be used in this manner. Replace straw with a metal tube, and now have one end in an internal hex fitting and could fit 6mm/1/4" screw driver fittings of shape and size that would be the most useful to each. A hole drilled at the other end would allow for a nail or such to be used as a driver for such torquing screw fittings. Should have other posters also imputing their own variation.

Yeah as many variations as poss. That way we all can experiment and learn.

That's what it's all about.

Cool idea

S

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've copied Teepee's idea with the telescopic shaft from an inspection mirror, much he same as a radio aerial but a little bit wider. Packs down to nothing, about the size of a biro pen and slips easily into a fire kit or pack pocket.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE