The Feathery Tengu; Washing a feather/down duvet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
(Yes, I know you are looking at me odd like; Of course we Tengu have feathers...)

Pulled an interesting bag out of the bin. Havent investigated its full potential but the top item is a feather/down quilt.

Evidently chucked as its a bit stale. But still a find with potential.

Washing instructions on it say wash and tumble dry but I dislike taking risks.

What do you do?

I want to get this done ASAP as Dad is comming and he will no doubt get cold in my central heating free nesting box...a warm quilt will improve his nights no end.

(Memo; Must apply to RSPB for better nesting box...)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Just what it says on the label. Wash it gently and tumble it dry cool, but put in a couple of tennis balls or similar, with the quilt. It rummels it around and stops the feathers clumping. Don't use something too heavy though, you don't want broken feathers either.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Truthfully, I wouldn't be at all surprised at the things you might have to hand :)

Anything like that though, a plastic cup, foam soled flip flops, just something firm but soft enough and not terribly heavy.
Hollow practice golf balls, anything like that will do.

You're clever, think outside the box a bit for something that'll do the job :D

M

ph5172

Forager
Feb 13, 2010
Coventry
I find that the commercial type dryers work fine as the paddles seem to give it a bit of a bash around - it may take a few hours though.

If it is still slightly clumped a whack with a tennis racket while it is hanging on the line will help

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hours ?
Last one I dried took twenty minutes in the one at a laundrette. I reckoned my home tumble drier would be too neat for it and the weather was awful so I couldn't hang the quilt out on the washing line to blow dry.

M

ph5172

Forager
Feb 13, 2010
Coventry
Yep, a kingsize one on a low heat, if i recall to be fully dry took about 2 - 2.5 hours

Hours ?
Last one I dried took twenty minutes in the one at a laundrette. I reckoned my home tumble drier would be too neat for it and the weather was awful so I couldn't hang the quilt out on the washing line to blow dry.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The one I did was a single bed sized one. Honestly, twenty minutes and it was as dry as it was going to get.
I was quietly impressed, I know how long they can take on the line.

M

ph5172

Forager
Feb 13, 2010
Coventry
Unless my lack of full spin caused it to retain a fair amount of water - I didnt want to risk a 1400 spin with all that weight

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Might be. Mine was just done entirely at the launderette. I didn't even try it in one at home. That said, I have done feather pillows and jackets in it and they were fine.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE