The Complete Guide To Scouting Skills book

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mang

Settler
Anyone got a copy yet? I've only had a flick through having been away all day but it does seem, on first impressions, rather good. It covers a lot of different topics but I also purchased Living Wild-The Ultimate Guide To Scouting and Bushcraft by Bear Grylls which is also good but it inevitably covers a lot of the same stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Scouting-Skil...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267650153&sr=1-1

Last edited:

Fizzlebang

Tenderfoot
Jul 26, 2009
Surrey
I Have the Bear Grylls one so wouldn't have thought there was much more in that one to make it worth getting.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
mrs sargey recently bought a copy. tbh, i wouldn't bother with it as a leader. in terms of language and reading level it is pitched nicely at a younger age, so might be useful for scouts themselves. the one or two gems of worthwhile info are offset by a few bits that are just plain wrong. please don't ask me to go back and read it again so i can cite actual examples.

always a worry when the credits read "compiled by" rather than written by....

the lady that "compiled" this'un needs to get out and try more of the skills for herself.

cheers, and.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
i wouldn't bother with it as a leader. in terms of language and reading level it is pitched nicely at a younger age, so might be useful for scouts themselves. the one or two gems of worthwhile info are offset by a few bits that are just plain wrong. please don't ask me to go back and read it again so i can cite actual examples.

The book is far from perfect but I would recomend it to leaders who are lacking in the kind of skills shown.
Remember Scout Leaders need to learn this stuff too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE