The Care and Feeding of a Swiss Army Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I found this today and I think it's quite a useful reference for anyone owning SAK's or thinking of purchasing one. It might actually be worth stickying, but that's up to the Mods. Also, if you're looking at that site, please click on "image gallery" and in the top right corner you'll see a small photo of the standard SAK can opener. But there's a twist, a slight modification that can be done with a file. I won't go into more details suffice to say that I've modified the can openers on all my SAK's and the results are spectacular!

Cheers,

Adam

Feral

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 7, 2006
Victoria
I use the can opener on my SAK all the time, because these are the only can openers we use and own

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
addyb said:
... a slight modification that can be done with a file. I won't go into more details suffice to say that I've modified the can openers on all my SAK's and the results are spectacular!

Cheers,

Adam
Addyb,
Hope you don't mind me asking, in what way is the modification "spectacular"?
Does it improve the screwdriver point, as in the article - or the performance of the can opener? I regularly use the can opener and think it is fine as it is, but being an engineering type, prefer to use a purpose made screwdriver when I need one, keeping the SAK screwdrivers for dire emergencies. I have at least 4 SAK's and I wouldn't want to sacrifice any of them without masses of deliberation.

Cheers

Ogri the trog

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Ogri,

That's a valid question so I'll give you a valid answer. The filing modification improves the screwdriver but doesn't do any harm to the can opener. I can't speak for others, but I admit that I've often had trouble using the small screw driver bit on SAK, especially on shorter screws. The bit would slip out too often. After modifying all my SAK's I haven't had any trouble since.

Cheers,

Adam

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
addyb said:
Ogri,

That's a valid question so I'll give you a valid answer. The filing modification improves the screwdriver but doesn't do any harm to the can opener. I can't speak for others, but I admit that I've often had trouble using the small screw driver bit on SAK, especially on shorter screws. The bit would slip out too often. After modifying all my SAK's I haven't had any trouble since.

Cheers,

Adam
Thanks Adam, as I mentioned I realy don't use the screwdriver that often so I might do a trial by copying the profile onto a strip of steel and modifying it "off" the SAK. I'd rather keep the functionality of the can opener - heck I might even try the oposite and do away with the driver and see if the can opener can be improved at all.

Thanks for your time.

Ogri the trog

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
Just a few comments on the article:

1. SAK's aren't hard to sharpen. Lot of carbon steel blades are harder to sharpen

2. 180 grit sandpaper won't keep your knife sharp enough. At least go for 800

3. SAK's aren't that expensive. €20 isn't much for such a tool

4. The knife he has, isn't camper as he says. A camper has 2 blades, a screwdriver, a bottle opener, a can opener, reamer, AND A SAW.
The knife he has is a spartan.

Besides these things, i think it's a good article.

Michiel

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
Just to add my 2 cents worth,

In my opinion the best thing you can do to your favorite SAK is to change the standard V grind cutting edge to a nice convex cutting edge. I have owned many SAK's over the years and never was really happy with the cutting edge/cutting efficiency. After convexing them WOW what a difference :D

Its not hard to do at all.

Here are some pics showing two of my convexed SAK's

Hope you like them, and give this a try I think you will like it :)

Geoffrey.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE