The blade of my Opinel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hi Daniel,
That looks pretty good, the handle sets of the new blade shape very well - it might even prompt me into doing something to my No 8.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
You should give it a try! The way I thought about it was if i completely mess it up, I can always buy another for a fiver (there abouts).

jack29g

Forager
Sep 17, 2004
Leicester
i got an opinal 6 from a french market, they are cheap as chips and are good knives, however the thing i don't like is the folding blade. i brother got the smallest opinal you can get, it's absolutely pointless, (not literally) It's tiny and would't cut a blade of grass!

.... .. I liked the way you reshaped your handel so much I tryed it myself came out well(had a good pic. to work from).
Over the past 20 years or so I've had two/three opinal's and found them fine,sharp & light!.
But today was the first time I've ever got mine wet :((wet).
Just thought you might like to know this before your:eek: in the field, league's from everwhere.... BECAUSE IT JAMMED UP!
I still think its a good knife tho!

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Hey VS, i'm glad your knife turned out well! I know what you mean about the 'getting the opinel wet' thing. Whilst reshaping the blade I got the handle very wet (actually dunked in a bowl of water), and after that I couldn't close or open the blade because the handle had expanded.

It does shrink back to normal after a few hours of sitting in the dry though!! I'm now half way through the process of oiling the handle, at the end of it it will have 5 coats of linseed oil, so hopefully that may make it a little bit waterproof..... maybe.

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Brilliant, I really like it! You must be pleased with it! :D

Pitty about the rust, but maybe some wet and dry on that might take it off?

Once I reshaped my first opinel I loved the fealing of making it my own, and couldn't resist doing it again, so now I have 3 :rolleyes: .. and probably more to come. Good thing is therem so cheap!

Hope you do some more! :)

Dan

yes am a little, but it being a carbon steel blade (I think) the rust factor is a bit off putting, yet life is full of swings and roundabouts it seems to stay sharp like others have said around the forum.

I like the way you did your point to.It leaves the blade functional without so much of a threatening look.
its thanks to you posting that I started mine though cheers.

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
VIRULENT SALAMANDER said:
I like the way you did your point too. It leaves the blade functional without so much of a threatening look.

Its thanks to you posting that I started mine though cheers.

I do find the blade better that way, and as someone else mentioned it makes the point a bit tougher.

Don't thank me, I started doing mine because of someone else on this forum... Glad you enjoyed doing it! :)

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
But today was the first time I've ever got mine wet :((wet).
Just thought you might like to know this before your:eek: in the field, league's from everwhere.... BECAUSE IT JAMMED UP!
still think its a good knife!

There's an old French trick to get round that:

Hold the folded knife by the collar, blade downwards, and rap the butt on a table or other solid flat surface.

The blade will pop out just far enough to get a grip to open the knife.

HTH,

Jim.

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
yes am a little, but it being a carbon steel blade (I think) the rust factor is a bit off putting, yet life is full of swings and roundabouts it seems to stay sharp like others have said around the forum.

Opinel do stainless models, too.

Carbon is a better compromise on ease of sharpening and edge retention, generally, though I've never had a stainless Opi. A thin smear of 3 in 1 oil on the blade once a flood does the trick preventing rust for me.

Jim.

.... .. Many thanks JimH I never know they made them in s/steel.
JimH said:
Opinel do stainless models, too.
Carbon is a better compromise on ease of sharpening and edge retention, generally, though I've never had a stainless Opi. A thin smear of 3 in 1 oil on the blade once a flood does the trick preventing rust for me.

Jim.
As for the french trick, it makes sense. Only I think I could have hit mine with a sledgehammer and it would have still been stuck. It was very water logged from washing it to remove some blood(which seemed to be in the same place as the rust now!) after cutting up some meat. Bearing in mind I had just reshaped handle without waterproofing it(it was my own thought I know at the time in the back of my mind it would).its been working all since the 5/7/05 till I get it wet again. LOl.

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Hi,

Just finished the Opinel today, very please with it!! :D

It just finished a week of drying, and then I just polished up the blade with some wet and dry, and then sharpened it. Blimey can those things get sharp :eek: !

Anywho, here's the finished result.

Dan

Attachments

• 10 Finished 11.jpg
    10 Finished 11.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 94

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
As for the french trick, it makes sense. Only I think I could have hit mine with a sledgehammer and it would have still been stuck.
Bearing in mind I had just reshaped handle without waterproofing it(it was my own thought I know at the of my mind it would).its been working all since the 5/7/05 till I get it wet again. LOl.

I worked a load of candlewax dissolved in 3 in 1 oil into the lock area, by smearing it at the base of the blade and opening/closing repeatedly. This *seems* (reserving judgement in case of monsoons) to leave it just about workable regardless.

HTH,

Jim.

.... .. Hi well you just beat me to it, I've just skined a wabbit and washed to end up with same problem.But noticed that there was rust on/in the hinge area from last time which maybe hard to clean/meaning a posible weak spot forming!
JimH said:
I worked a load of candlewax dissolved in 3 in 1 oil into the lock area, by smearing it at the base of the blade and opening/closing repeatedly. This *seems* (reserving judgement in case of monsoons) to leave it just about workable regardless.HTH,Jim.
I keep thinking I want a little 2"blade with good handle this maybe a good excuss to buy or make one!...Lol.
watch out for the wet poeple!.... ..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE