The bcuk disease: A treatise of symptoms, consequences and treatment.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Quick overview

A very high daily posting ratio is the first symptom of this ever growing disease. It seems yet mostly confined to the British Isles of which it seems to be endemic, but there have been occational outbreaks in the surrounding lands as well in recent years. Even in Scandinavia and the US.

Symptoms:
- High post count. There are indications that a high post count on it's own may be misleading. It seems like the daily posting ratio is of greater importance, though on early cases this may not be indicative of long term ill effects.
- Long posts. It is however worth mentioning that people who exhibit this behaviour may still post a lot of: :lmao:, :You_Rock_ and other short, emotionally motivated posts. It is still unclear whether posters who almost exclusively posts like this are to be considered infected or belonging to a seperate phenomenon.
- Lots of online time. They often, though not always is to be found in the who's online list. There are indications of this being a non-conclusive symptom, since high online time may also be seen in correlation with general sloth (they don't bother exiting the browser) or a slow computer.
- Fixation of gear. Names like Trangia, Hammocks and Swandri seems to uncontrollably appear in the vocabulary. Hoarding is not uncommon.
- Fixation of spoon carving. Theories are that this symptom usually correlates with a English or Welsh residence, thus being a result of a very limited opportunity to practise other skills. Legislation is often blamed for this.
- An urge towards tracking animals. Animals commonly thought of as unintresting outside the UK, suddenly become extremely interesting. Foxes seems to have a particular facination, though the reason of this has not been laid out. Cases in Scandinavia are not known to show this facination.
- An extreme love of alcohol. Sloe, elderflowers... Everything seems to have prospects of being turned into alcohol. As with the other fixational symptoms, this one reaches clearly abnormal and compulsive levels as a cause of the disease. This symptom seems to either exist apart or alongside common British alcoholism without any clear differentiation.
- Delusional. The person believes that so called "wild camping" is better than the most commonly seen manifestation of this disease: Long hours at the computer.

Consequences:
- The only harm this disease has demonstrated to have on the body is in some cases an increased tendency towards a larger beer belly, mostly due to the numerous "moots", which is a place where the diseased meet to discuss their fixations.
- Though controversial, some believe that this disease can lead to more cuts on fingers. One diseased even almost stabbed it's eye. The majority does however seem to believe that this is only due to dull knives, a phenomenon with an allegedly negative correlation with the bcuk disease.
- Social problems is one of the more dangerous consequences of this illness. Particulary in respect to family, which often find the fixations unpleasant and encumbering on their relationships. The fixations seems like obsessions and fantasies of life in the wild can be disturbing. The diseased also spends a lot of time on the fixations.
- The hoarding of gear can lead to money problems. The diseased usually doesn't see this as a problem, but especially the closest relatives (often a wife) does not approve of the allocation of resources away from the food and clothes shopping budget over on knives, travels and gear.

Treatment:
While there is no currently known cure for the bcuk disease, there are several known treatments of which patients have responded positively to. They do not remove the problem as whole, but treats certain aspects of the disease. None of the treatments are without negative sideeffects.
- Getting out and really doing it. Removes the patient from the main source of the disease, but seems to only have a short term effect, which will revert once exposed again. It also isn't considered an attractive option of wives (or husbands in some cases) already struggeling with reestablishing a connection. The temporary value may be great though, since the disease forces the patient to constantly reinfect oneself on the computer.
- Primitive skills. Though this one to a great degree removes the money problems, it greatly adds to the time problem. Only recommended in severe cases of hoarding.
- Re-integrating the diseased. By accepting the side effects of time and money, you go into his element and try to live with the disease. More outdoors time will help the patient lead a more fulfilling life, dispite the problems associated with the disease. Though this disease isn't very contagious in nature, there are a few cases where this pracise may cause spreading of it.

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
I better seek professional help as I have observed at least 3 symptomes.

How long do I have left, doctor ? :twak:

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Good evening. My name is Eric and I am a BCUK addict.:sulkoff:

Hmmm... This phenomenon is only diagnosed as a disease if it interferes with my daily life. This phenomenon doesn't interfere with my daily life, it IS my daily life. No interference, no problem.

Eric

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
A famous philosopher once said ''...a man can only be funny when there are other people around him who find him funny, thus confirming his ability to make them laugh. Without other people his sense of humour is irrelevant. If there are no other people around to laugh when a joke is told it ceases to be funny and the teller of the joke ceases to have a good sense of humour...''

I wonder if the same principle applies to the BCUK disease?

The disease is defined by people recognising the symptoms and confirming that there is something wrong.

With no one around to compare oneself to, and no one to witness any behavioural anomolies, then the disease ceases to exist. :D

The cure, therefore, is simple - shut yourself away, alienate everyone you know and live in a blissfull state of ignorance.

It's working for me ;)

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
high online time may also be seen in correlation with general sloth (they don't bother exiting the browser) or a slow computer.

Or a job in the IT industry... ;) I mean, seriously, whaddaya expect me to do, work? :D

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
I better seek professional help as I have observed at least 3 symptomes.

How long do I have left, doctor ? :twak:

The sad thing about this disease is that it is for life. No known cure. Though no deaths have been reported to have been caused by it, the suffering from the consequences alone. It is known during periods of very high levels of "bcukism" that close ones exhibit behaviour bordering towards the murderous. Whether this is from the wish of relieving the patient of it's pain or just in sheer frustration seems to vary from case to case.

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
The sad thing about this disease is that it is for life. No known cure. Though no deaths have been reported to have been caused by it, the suffering from the consequences alone. It is known during periods of very high levels of "bcukism" that close ones exhibit behaviour bordering towards the murderous. Whether this is from the wish of relieving the patient of it's pain or just in sheer frustration seems to vary from case to case.

Great... I'm it appears my fate is sealed already :yikes:

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I think there are several recorded cases of successful treatment for BCUK disease. There are many people who have moved from frequent posting to rare or no posting. A lot of them have however subsituted equally dangerous diseases such as SOTP or ATLATL.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE