Thankful to be out and about again

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

richardw

Tenderfoot
Sep 1, 2005
Kent
I have just returned from taking my dogs for a walk.

Why is he posting about that you may ask?

Well it is the first time I have been out with them after breaking two bones in my ankle rather badly seven weeks ago.

Although I am still using one stick I was delighted to be outdoors again. Up until now I have been ferried from hospital to home to work etc. I set out at 7.30am for a short walk and living on the North Downs I am lucky enough to be in open countryside within 50yds of my door.

The heavy frost of last night was still thick on the ground although the low winter sun has melted it in a few places. The sky was a brilliant blue and looking up I could see the usual crows, starlings and magpies above. I startled a green woodpecker along the edge of the wood and a little further on the bright plumage of a jay caught my eye. Rabbits bolted into the hedgerows, on spying the dogs.

The wood on the downs was alive with colour and the sun showed up myriad shades of brown, yellow, red and green – too may to count.

The wind was in the north and burnt my nose and ears, but it was a feeling that made me feel alive and part of the cold landscape.

After a shortish walk, so as not to tax the ankle too much, I turned for home ready for a warm cup of tea and a bowl of porridge, but thankful and more appreciative of the area we live in.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Richard............Glad you are on the mend. Sounds lovely where you are. I bet the dogs were pleased to be out again too................Jon

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Good to hear it Richard and a nice time of year to be out too. I like going for a walk when it's a bit fresh :)

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
richardw said:
I have just returned from taking my dogs for a walk.

The heavy frost of last night was still thick on the ground although the low winter sun has melted it in a few places. The sky was a brilliant blue and looking up I could see the usual crows, starlings and magpies above. I startled a green woodpecker along the edge of the wood and a little further on the bright plumage of a jay caught my eye. Rabbits bolted into the hedgerows, on spying the dogs.

The wood on the downs was alive with colour and the sun showed up myriad shades of brown, yellow, red and green – too may to count.

The wind was in the north and burnt my nose and ears, but it was a feeling that made me feel alive and part of the cold landscape.

After a shortish walk, so as not to tax the ankle too much, I turned for home ready for a warm cup of tea and a bowl of porridge, but thankful and more appreciative of the area we live in.

Great to be out eh Richard ? I know where you're at as I crushed my ankle in a farm accident 20 years ago and spent 4 weeks on my back apart from hospital trips. Your joy comes through so take it steady now you're through the worst.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE