TH blade Puukko

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sieddy

Nov 12, 2016
Oxford uk
Hi lads here's some pics of the latest knife I've made. The blade was made by Teemu Hakkila to my specs (95x24x 3.5mm) he's really great to deal with and got the blade to me really quickly.
I'm really pleased with this one as it cuts like a razor and the handle is amazingly comfy. I still need to improve my leather work though- especially the stitching! :rolleyes:IMG_20201031_095729_1~2.jpgIMG_20201031_095751_6~2.jpgIMG_20201031_095804_6.jpgIMG_20201031_101454_1.jpg:O_O:

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Very nice knife let down just a little by an untidy sheath but it looks like a good usable sheath
You may be able to burnish the marks of the leather still though

Reactions: Sieddy

Sieddy

Nov 12, 2016
Oxford uk
Very nice knife let down just a little by an untidy sheath but it looks like a good usable sheath
You may be able to burnish the marks of the leather still though
Thanks for your comment bud. I have really sweated over my sheathcraft but it continues to be a torture for me. This does the business but I hope to improve!

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Do you wax the thread and do you have a stitch wheel?
Do you use an awl or drill for your stitch holes.
The other issue can be if you have long nails it marks the leather.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Sieddy

Nov 12, 2016
Oxford uk
Do you wax the thread and do you have a stitch wheel?
Do you use an awl or drill for your stitch holes.
The other issue can be if you have long nails it marks the leather.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
Hi Brancho I tried with a stitch wheel but it didn't left much impression on the lower side which contributed to the mess. The thread I used was waxed and I punched holes with an awl. My two main problems are that the needle doesn't go through the second hole and pops through the leather next to it or it goes through both holes and pierces the leading thread at which point I have to cut a fibre or two or start the stitch again. I'm getting better but I keep having these issues.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Hi Brancho I tried with a stitch wheel but it didn't left much impression on the lower side which contributed to the mess. The thread I used was waxed and I punched holes with an awl. My two main problems are that the needle doesn't go through the second hole and pops through the leather next to it or it goes through both holes and pierces the leading thread at which point I have to cut a fibre or two or start the stitch again. I'm getting better but I keep having these issues.

What type of leather have you used?
Did you mark and make all the holes before starting stitching?
Are you using a blunt needle
It looks like it was soft a pre dyed which may be why the needle is going through the wrong place.

PM me your email address and I can send you a good tutorial

Last edited:

Sieddy

Nov 12, 2016
Oxford uk
What type of leather have you used?
Did you mark and make all the holes before starting stitching?
Are you using a blunt needle
It looks like it was soft a pre dyed which may be why the needle is going through the wrong place.

PM me your email address and I can send you a good tutorial
Cheers Brancho I'm making holes before hand but using a regular sharp needle. I'd appreciate the tutorial and will PM you!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE