Terra Nova troubles!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Right chaps and chapettes some advice needed.

I'm looking to purchase a Terra Nova Jupiter bivi bag, the mean reason being it's getting towards midge season up here in Scotland and these bags have an integral midge net. However I have become slightly confuzzeled by the different models out there.

If you look on the Terra Nova website they have one type which I'll call version 1.

If you visit Field and Treks website they have a different version which I'll call version 2.

Ok.

Version 1 opens around the top (zip is around the hoop under the black flap) and the midge net is on the outside of the door (hence the slightly different colour) meaning you can open the gortex door whilst the midge net is still up. The black flap also provides an overhang so you can vent the bivi bag at night and prevent condensation build up.

Version 2 opens around the bottom in a "crocodile mouth style" and the midge net appears to be on the inside of the door?

Right.

Now, I know that in 2004 Terra Nova updated the Jupiter bivi bag by changing the type of gortex fabric used (newer version more breathable?) and by making a few modifications. The question is which one is the newest version and what is so good about it?

I phoned Terra Nova and they assured me that the one on their website (version 1) was the newest but when I asked further questions about the bag the person on the line said that they weren’t too sure as they hadn’t actually seen one yet! I phoned back again but the same problem. Not too impressed with Terra Nova customer information ……. though I know their products and build quality are fantastic (made in UK too)!

So not convinced I phoned Field and Trek and they said they would look in to it for me. They phoned back a day later and said that they had phoned “their man” at Terra Nova and that the one on their website (Version 2) is the most up to date! They also said that they don’t hold them in stock and that theirs are made to order by Terra Nova so it has to be the most up to date version! Fair enough.

So I thought it must be down to price …… the older one will be cheaper! ……. till I discovered that both versions come in 2 prices! Version 1 is £190 on this website but £150 on this one. Version 2 is £190 on the Field and Trek website but its only £150 here! :confused: Confused!?!

Now I’ve been into a few camping shops up here and the only type I can find is version 1. It seems like a very nice bit of kit and in design everything makes sense i.e. you can open the door whilst the net stays up and the keeps the midges out (though it maybe a little more prone to damage as you'll have sit on it to get in and out of the bag). The zip is around the hoop so the vent will be at the top of the bag …… hot air rises ….. makes sense ….. and the black flap will provide some storm protection. With version 2 the midge net is internal so to open the door you’ll have to open the net first letting the wee blood thirsty menaces in and the door opens around the bottom ….. surely this means that if you have the bottom open for venting in the rain the water will come in …… unless it’s made of the new gortex fabric that allows you to completely seal the bag up and not suffocate (gortex exchange fabric?)?

Soooooo does anyone out there have one (either version)? If so can you help? If no one has one then which one would you guys go for? I’ll be using it under a tarp during bushcrafting activities but will be using it on the open moors (often with no tarp) etc doing my army bit with the TA so it has to stand up to some pretty severe weather!

Cheers :)

BM

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
I reckon the one on the terra ova site is the 2005 version and the F&T one is the 2004 version ? The TN site one is slightly heavier and a different ali for the poles ?

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
you may find that the diference is that the newer one is siliconised and the old one has a bog standard hot taped fly.

This has a small diference to the weight but they can't hot tape the silicon one so it may not be AS "waterproof".

I would recommend you check the weights and then go for the cheaper one anyway :p

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Not a clue, but I do have a terra nova tent that's near 20 years old which I wouldn't trade for anything new from todays market. Superb quality and great design.

My tent has fabric and mozzie net doors on the inner tent. These are fixed at the bottom with a two way zip around the curve. This is good. Allows you to leave a small vent at the top, open a small gap at either side to reach out and grab stuff, and lifts the ground tray nicely at the front even if half unzipped. Sitting on the door is not a problem because they're fitted with 3 elastic loops and matching toggles that allow you to roll up either or both doors and secure them neatly across the tent entrance.

Mozzie net outside should be better at keeping the beggars out - I think that's how ours is made and it certainly works OK

Cheers

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Yup likewise Alick, they are fantastic little tents.
Er with regards to the mozzy net - fine for mozzies, but it doesn't keep those dang Scottish midges out ! even when we've taped over that tiny gap between the 2 zips with sticky plasters. They just wriggle through that net somehow.
I'm off to Scotland on a canoeing expedition next month, and intending to take the tent with me, so i'll need to find some better midge proof netting.

Cheers
Rich

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE