Tents

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I have a couple of very similar tents and I use them quite a bit. They're cheap but perfectly competent single skin tents. You often see similar tents sold as 'festival tents' or somesuch. I think I paid 17 quid for my first one (it's green) and a fiver for the second one (it's blue) which was on display at a show and the seller couldn't be bothered to take it down and back to his store so I bargained with him a bit.

My green one has the opening on the longer side, so it's great for two,three or even four people sheltering from the rain if they want to look at the race track. It was quite a squeeze with Dave, John, Lynne and me at Donnington circuit when we were hit by unexpected bad weather because Lynne's the only one under six foot, but we'd have been pretty miserable without it. There was still room for me to get the little stove going to make tea and coffee for everyone. My blue one has the opening on the shorter side, and if I'm not especially planning to camp on a journey I usually take hat one just in case. Both of these tents have a flyscreen. The zip closure fully closes only the flyscreen, the tent fabric 'door' has a single vertical zipper but is not fixed to anything at its lower edge. At night I usually guy it out with a tent peg and a bit of string to get more ventilation As far as waterproofing goes the groundsheets are very good, the tent fabric itself is average. I've been in some hefty downpours in these tents and very little rain gets through. If it's extremely windy then you can expect a bit of mist to come in through the top vent as the cover over it cannot be completely closed so wind can drive spray in through the vent.

These two-pole tents are very easy to pitch and can be used with no guys in calm weather. You can (with care) even pick them up and move them around. The poles are fairly fragile but easily repaired or replaced.

The main problem with single skin tents is condensation. If you take a few absorbent rags or use face flannels or something to wipe it off in the morning it isn't a big deal.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE