Tell me about Trangia Stoves!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
I'm thinking of buying a Trangia stove. Normally I'd be cooking over fires, but I thought it would be worthwhile to have a small stove in my kit for when I'm in areas where fires aren't allowed or areas with limited/no firewood.
I've never seen one, and I don't really know anything about them, apart from the fact they're small & tough.

What can you put in them? Is it just meths, or can you put in any flammable liquid - petrol etc. (Not that I'd want to cook over petrol :D )

Can you just build a stand out of rocks and a windscreen out of debris?

Do they ever leak/evaporate fuel?

Would they only be effective for cooking in small pots (e.g. a crusader cup) or would they be effective on something larger (e.g. a 14cm billy can)?

Any other thoughts?

Many thanks,
Will :theyareon

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Just meths/methanol/ethanol NO PETROL Take a look at the trangia site, for 1 or two people the 27 is fine for two or three you want the model 25.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
A big NO to petrol... they're designed for alcohol based spirits like meths, ethanol, whisky, vodka etc :)

You can build a stand for them if you want but most folks use them in conjunction with something like a click stand, honey stove, hobo stove etc.

They can leak fuel over time, it's best to keep the fuel separate and fill them each time you need them. Note that if you need to fill them after using once make sure it is cool before refilling and lighting.

You can use them from a crusader up to a large billy like the 14cm zebra, obviously it takes longer for the larger sizes to get to boiling temperature.

They are good, and I love mine, however lately I prefer isobutane type stoves similar to this. I have the trangia gas burner that fits in my honey stove as my secondary cook source.

Camping-Stove-Gas-powered-Stove-Cookout-Butane-Burner.jpg

For doing up a brew, trangia is great. For cooking anything in wind or very cold temps, they are no where near as good as a liquid/gas stove.

IMHO.

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
I have this one:
10430b_orig.jpg

Suits well for more than a day trip or feeding +1. Pretty heavy and takes a lot of space in a rucksack. Swedish Army issue.

Also have this one:
trangia-mini-stove-system-2T.jpg

Best for solo day trips during cold weather. Hot meal and drink to be had.

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
Are you looking for just the burner or the whole cook set Will?
Only really looking for the burner as I'd rarely use it.
It would only be for times when I couldn't have a fire because of restrictions or a lack of fire wood.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Especially the heads up on the petrol! Does petrol burn too hot/impure or something?

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
Knock up a pop can stove. They are super light and do the same job. Then if you like using it and want something sturdier you can get yourself a trangia.

Personally I stick with a pop can stove as it's so light I can leave it in the bottom of my billy with a small bottle of meths and it's there if I need it. Doesn't need a stand either.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Everything you will ever want to know about alcohol stoves

http://zenstoves.net/

Any stove, gas cartridge or Alcohol, will need proper windscreening when used outdoors. Try, as suggested below, making your own. It will not turn into an obsession,really it won't. "hey, don;t throw that can away, I have an idea...."

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Windproof, reliable, does exactly what it says on the tin. Complete compact package including pots, pans and kettle. Just don't forget to pack your meths!

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Only really looking for the burner as I'd rarely use it.
It would only be for times when I couldn't have a fire because of restrictions or a lack of fire wood.

The burner on it's own would be next to useless for heating food I reckon. Even a folding Hexi stove would be easier to use (if you don't mind waiting half an hour for a brew that tastes vaguely fishy ;)). I'd consider a small gas stove and a 100g cartridge. This is a pic of my cheapo Vango alongside the Trangia burner. Ok, it's more to carry, but lighter, smaller stoves are available and they're very quick and adaptable should you need something fast.

imagejpg1_zps6f2a7962.jpg

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I've got two... a clone of a 25 and a Swedish Army Trangia. The burner in the SAT is a lot better than the clone 25, larger too. The cookset is better with the 25 though and includes two frying pans which double as lids for the two saucepans and a kettle complete with whistle and tea strainer.

The 25 I've used as a camp cookset for up to a week, the SAT is fine for days out but would be a bit limited for longer trips unless you really like noodles or hotdogs.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Oh aye... don't attempt to blow out the burner of either with the windshield in place unless you're less than fond of your eyebrows, they're both really effective and if you're close enough when you try the blow back is quite impressive.

The SAT I have didn't come with a simmer ring for the burner, whereas the 25 did.

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
I love mine , but tend to use a gas burner with it for speed with the meths as a back up or if time does not matter

Great classic bit of kit IMO

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
If you just want a burner, look up 'lynx can stove'. I made one in about 5 min. Works pretty well as long as you have a windshield. All alcohol stoves are pans without windshields.

Trangia's are good if you have the whole cookset. The burner sucks, tbh. However the combination of the windshield and the pans makes for a set that works in any weather, never clogs and always lights. It is heavy and very bulky compared to alternatives. Reliability is the main strength.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
From what I can gather, the OP is only interested in the burner, not the stove set.

Holding or balancing a Crusader mug over it will be nigh on impossible.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE