TBS Boar WIP

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Braidsta

Forager
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
500px.com
Afternoon all,

I got home last night to find my freshly delivered TBS Boar knife kit. I opted for Turkish Walnut handle and firesteel add-on.

I took a quick pic to demo the contents, with a mind to post further pictures as the project progresses.

I'm no knife maker and although I'm never shy of getting stuck in on any work going on, I'm amateur at best and unskilled in tools - I'm just not an idiot, so should be able to manage this!

Straight away I'm not sure on these loveless bolts - heard good things about them but then saw the end result once filed down etc - no guv. I'm currently browsing mosaic pins to use instead, if not then it'll be plain brass pins - I love brass, so this is all good. I'm looking at mosaic pins as I understand they work in the same manner as the plain ones.

I won't go into the blade - I'm sure you've all compared your first decent knife to your "starter" one and marvelled. I'm very happy and looking forward to building it.

Everything will be done by hand, I'm using my Mora Companion knife to shape the handle. It won't be great, but as with my pictures and my music production, there'll be a lot of "me" in it.

I'll post up the next milestone picture when I'm there.

Have a goodun

Brady

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Looks like a great knife kit,enjoy the making and if you get stuck at any point ask away........we're here to help.
Good luck!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
The threshold of an adventure, eh? There's no feeling quite like having it all there in front of you ready to go!
I hope you really enjoy the build :)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Few tips if I may, from a guy who has only made a few knives so its still fresh and not professional.
Make sure you protect the exposed blade well or its easy to scratch it whilst working on the handle.
Get the scales as close as you can in particular the ends of the scales closes to the tip of the knife. This bit is a pain to get finished up without again scratching the blade. Scratches certainly wont ruin a knife but they will ruin the look of you new although short lived shiny knife.

Enjoy, It wont be your last.

Braidsta

Forager
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
500px.com
Well, I've just finished my knife and I'm well pleased with it. I took pictures along the way and if anyone wants to have a look they're here -

http://photo.net/photodb/folder.tcl?folder_id=1069234

As I said before, I'm fairly new to tools and very new to working with wood. I've never made a knife before and it's not going to be the last!

I hope the pictures are enjoyed, have a good one all

Brady

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE