Swazi Wapiti or Tahr XP

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RobbieD

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2013
East Anglia
Hi all. This is my first post, so I hope I don't get shot down in flames, for posting something that might come up on a regular basis.

I seem to be lingering for far too long on the Swazi website, trying to determine the merits of the Swazi Wapiti over the Tahr XP, and vice versa. I know that it would seem that they are differing jackets for differing purposes maybe.

I am use to regular zipped jackets, having experienced a plethora of goretex, wax cotton etc. I have also seen that some people have traded the Tahr for a Wapiti, and that there seems to be the colour choice of Tussock over Olive.

I am also interested to know whether the Wapiti is a shell jacket as the Tahr, and whether the Tahr is easier to wear with rucsacs due to lack of bellows pockets.

I would be interested to hear peoples thoughts. Thanks.

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
Wapiti. The full length zip is just so much more practical. (I have one). If you are spending a lot of time outside in a very wet environment, then the tahr could be better, but if you are going to have a coat that covers a multitude of uses incl the pub, then the Wapiti. The over the head tahr will possibly get a few funny looks in UK (but less so in NZ!) and the Wapiti is basically a space age Barbour, if slightly longer. A smart looking coat, and very practical and hard wearing.

RobbieD

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2013
East Anglia
Wapiti. The full length zip is just so much more practical. (I have one). If you are spending a lot of time outside in a very wet environment, then the tahr could be better, but if you are going to have a coat that covers a multitude of uses incl the pub, then the Wapiti. The over the head tahr will possibly get a few funny looks in UK (but less so in NZ!) and the Wapiti is basically a space age Barbour, if slightly longer. A smart looking coat, and very practical and hard wearing.

Many thanks. Have you used the Wapiti with rucsacs as well, just wondering about this due to position of front pockets. There is also that issue of trying to cover all bases with one jacket, which the Wapiti could well do. The tahr looks great, dont think I have ever seen it is olive though, but there is the "pub issue" and I am not sure about that "Friar Tuck" look with a pint. Maybe 6 pints later who gives a ****!!!! ;) Thanks again.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I have been humming and hawing over a Tahr for a while, still undecided, this has also taken my fancy...

http://www.bushwear.co.uk/product/151418

Swedteam+Anorak+Titan+Pro.jpg

:)

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
Hello again.... I have worn it many times with rucksacks of different sizes, and I haven't experienced any problems with the pockets. As I said it is a longer coat, so the waist belt on a rucksack doesn't get in the way, but it would cover the handwarmer pockets, but I don't think you'd be using them strolling along with a rucksack on your back.
I like the ventilatation the full length zip gives you, as well as the " easy on and off ability. " I wear mine hunting in the hills, so lots of tramping with a pack or deer, as well as going out for pheasants in the winter, which is lots of walking but with only a day pack, as well as a rainy dash to the supermarket and it is the biz. Definitely the best coat you can buy here.
i have had problems with condensation like many people report with gore tex BUT there is a reason for that. It's NOT WASHING it so the pores clog up. So whenever mine gets grubby it goes in the wash. It's not like your traditional hunting Swannie that never ever gets a wash and no problems with delamination either, like my father in law's Ridgeline.
The main disadvantage is the price, which is pretty damn steep, and to be honest I will never be able to afford one again. Fire away if you have any more questions!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE