Swazi Thar Anorak Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
I thought I would have a go at doing my first review.

I have had my Swazi Tahr for about a year now and through out that time it has performed well,and is my first choice when the weather is bad, I have owned Gore-Tex Jackets from other manufactures and have found the Thar to perform as well if not better than these jackets.

The Anorak

Size tested 3xl
Price £250.00
http://www.swazi.co.nz/

The Tahr Anorak ( my one was proudly crafted by Trish) is an over the head design and comes from a shooting background, this shows in its clean lines and generous cut allowing good freedom of movement.
It is of a three layer Gore- Tex construction with fully taped seams making it very waterproof the soft outer fabric also makes it quiet in use.
The hood design allows good side vision and fits the face well with the draw cords drawn up ,and the hood moves well with your head.There is a good size peak which keeps the rain of your face and this is soft stiffened and has a a wire at the front edge.
The front zip is about 40cm long and has a beard guard,and is covered on the front with a single flap to protect the zip and is held in place with Velcro. this zip also allows you to vent the anorak.
On the front left side there is a pocket which is large enough to take a pair of binoculars,this has a flap which is secured by two press studs the top of the sides of the pocket is elasticated and on the right hand side of the pocket there is a bullet holder which can take two bullets if required or a couple of pens or pencils,there is a waist draw cord which enables you to adjust the fit of the anorak.
The sleeves allow a good freedom of movement and the design of the soft cuff fits the wrist well and are Velcro adjustable.

Tahr001.jpg

Tahr002.jpg

Tahr003.jpg

Tahr004.jpg

Tahr005.jpg

Conclusion

The Tahr is a hard wearing Gore-Tex waterproof coat with good fit, freedom of movement,and will keep you dry in the worst weather.

There some minus points like all Gore-tex coats it will melt if a spark goes on it and the membrane can be punctured by sharp points.It can also get a bit warm as well but this can be vented with the zip. the outer fabric can hold water in a really heavy downpour and make the jacket heavy and take a while to dry out
Some people might prefer more pockets as well ,I tend to find pockets on Gore-tex jackets do not tend keep their contents dry.

All in all I have to say I do like the Swazi Tahr and is the jacket I reach for when I'm going out and about.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I also have a Tahr, and its compares very well to the other goretex jackets that I have tried.

I often have to sit around outside waiting for D o E groups to come past and it, coupled with the matching overtrousers, has always served me well in that capacity.

The down side to the Tahr, is that you always have the look of a mad monk when you are wearing it!

To be honest tho, it is not my jacket of choice. That distinction falls on my
Tamarack/Westwinds ventile smock. Of a similar design to the Tahr, it has a few advantages IMHO:
  • 2 chest pockets as opposed to 1 on the Tahr. (Mine have been modded to include "D" rings under the flap.)
  • A "tunnel" type though pocket at waist level that contains the waist adjusting cords.
  • Made of Ventile, so I'm not afraid of sitting around the fire wearing it.

Having said all that, if I know the weather is going to be very wet I reach for the Tahr!

Hope that makes sense?

Simon

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Good, to the point, post Nodd.

I also have a Swazi, mine being the "Tough Brutha" version of the Tahr and if the weather's going to be soggy, it's the one I reach for. It's basically the same design as the Tahr, but made of a slightly heavier grade fabric, without the soft "anti-rustle" outer coating. I went for it because I don't hunt, so didn't need the anti-rustle coating (although it's not exactly noisy anyway) and it came in a nice dark olive green. It was also a bit cheaper than the Tahr!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good stuff Nodd

I tried to squeeze myself into a Small over at Tamarack but it wasn`t happening, I`m always on the lookout for one which will fit though.

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
Nice litle review there Nodd. Thanks!
I really am VERY tempted to get me one of these. torn between this or getting a fjallraven jacket and a new swannie:rolleyes: :dunno:

im now concerned about looking like a "mad monk". What is the drawstring like in the middle coz i am very slim and would like a tighter fit around the waist.

Thanks again!

Dan

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
Nice litle review there Nodd. Thanks!
I really am VERY tempted to get me one of these. torn between this or getting a fjallraven jacket and a new swannie:rolleyes: :dunno:

im now concerned about looking like a "mad monk". What is the drawstring like in the middle coz i am very slim and would like a tighter fit around the waist.

Thanks again!

Dan

Dan PM sent

Nice review Nodd.

I've got a dark green version of the Tahr and I'm pretty pleased with it. I got it secondhand from a guy that did many hunting trips in it and it's still in very good shape. He replaced it with a similar garment from Stoney Creek, who also make excellent stuff. Have a look:

http://www.stoneycreekshop.co.nz/stoney-creek-hunting-gear-c-216.html

I use quite a bit of Swazi gear and it's all good, hard-wearing stuff and I pretty much live in my windstopper 4WD pants and windstopper coat. Well worth the money.
If any of you are worried about the "Mad Monk" look of the thing, you could always go for the Wapiti coat instead.

Cheers,
Jamie

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
It's more an LOTR look! since I own one I'm not confortable with the mad monk look:)

Nice review and my only point of criticism towards the Tahr (besides the obvious sparky bits) regards the cuffs. In very wet circumstances or when I use the Tahr while fishing I noticed a tendency of the cuffs to suck in water, making the lower parts of the sleeves wet. The cuffs are also slow drying and thus give a permanent chill to my wrists.:eek:

Besides that a great smock.

Alex78

Hello guys!

I have just bought one Tahr Anorak from Ray Mears web page. It seems that they upgraded the materials. The outer layer looks more like some sort of ripstop material and the cuffs are now made from neoprene (will keep warm in cold wet conditions). I'm very happy about my aquisition. I would say that the new material si more spark and abrasion resistant but a little more noisy (pay attention hunters).

You can see pictures with the new version on my blog here: http://bushcraft-romania.blogspot.com/2009/09/swaziray-mears-tahr-anorak.html

Just ignore the text :)

If you click the pictures you can see a bigger picture with more detail.

I hope this info will help you.

Regards
Alex

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hello guys!

I have just bought one Tahr Anorak from Ray Mears web page. It seems that they upgraded the materials. The outer layer looks more like some sort of ripstop material and the cuffs are now made from neoprene (will keep warm in cold wet conditions). I'm very happy about my aquisition. I would say that the new material si more spark and abrasion resistant but a little more noisy (pay attention hunters).

You can see pictures with the new version on my blog here: http://bushcraft-romania.blogspot.com/2009/09/swaziray-mears-tahr-anorak.html

Just ignore the text :)

If you click the pictures you can see a bigger picture with more detail.

I hope this info will help you.

Regards
Alex

I didn't know they'd changed the outer material, it'll be interesting to hear how you get on with it. I've got the older model and love it, especially when I didn't have to pay for it :)

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Love my RM Tahr, and yes the material looks a little different from your pictures. The second pocket on the RM version is really useful. Agreed with the 'mad monk' description, but was wearing mine in a storm at the top of Helvellyn a few weeks back, and was getting a lot of envious questions about where I got it from (all from people who were wearing the most hopelessly inadequate jackets...)

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi Nice Jacket,

Interestingly enough, With the current XR it's cheaper to buy a RM spec Swazi Tahr Jacket from Woodlore and have it posted to NZ than to buy one here in NZ...

Go figure...

John

Alex78

After more research it seems that has ththe original Tahr Anorake same materials. Only Swazi/RM Tahr Anorak has a different outer material.

I don't know what I wanted to write here :)) Sorry! I was in a hurry and it seems that my hands wrote without my head and I didn't check my spelling.

So:
"After more research, it seems that the original Tahr Anorak (sold by Swazi) has the same materials. Only Swazi/RM Tahr Anorak (sold by Woodlore) has a different outer material witch seems much stronger and the cuffs are better for wet conditions"

I know it might sound weird but I really enjoy the mad monk look :) I really love this anorak.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Don't you miss pockets to keep your hands warm ?

NS

I did at first, but then just started wearing gloves instead. I think the anorak is designed for hunters who spend most of their time laid on their belly, I think the pockets were never included so you wouldn't lie on stuff. It wouldn't be too hard to add something but who wants to take a pair of scissors to a $300 jacket :eek:

kram245

Tenderfoot
Aug 4, 2006
suffolk
After more research it seems that has ththe original Tahr Anorake same materials. Only Swazi/RM Tahr Anorak has a different outer material.

Had a Tahr a few years ago, and liked it, but found it a bit limiting with the one pocket. Just bought an RM vesion, and my thoughts are the same, change of material, noisier , better cuffs. I sent an e-mail to Swazi NZ asking about the materials used, but no answer.. Interesting Alex that you have found out that the material is exclusive to RM Tahrs. Not sure if its an improvement, to be honest. haven't had any rain yet to see if it resists 'wetting out' better than the old , original material. . the old stuff certainly was soft and quiet, and very distinctive, with a kind of suede-like nap to it.Pleased with the Tahr, but would like to check that RMs aren't built with a less expensive material to cover the mods to the extended waist cord (not an issue unless you are a humungous pie-eater), :D better neoprene cuffs and a more weather resistant zip closure ( although did'nt have an isue with this before with the older version) and that added pocket is a definite improvement in use and looks.

kram245

Tenderfoot
Aug 4, 2006
suffolk
Looks like you have the old style fabric, Nodd.from info i have now, that looks a good thing. Had no reply by e-mailing Swazi direct to find out about the new material being used in the RM Tahr. Yesterday i contacted Woodlore and today received a reply. Apparantly the material is used across the Swazi range now, as it was the closest they could get to the old stuff after Gore discontinued the old fabric. Woodlore acknowledged that the new material was not as soft, and noisier! Didn't seem to be any plus points over the old ones, but needs must, i supose. Its still soft by normal gore-tex hardshell standards , but is definately noisier, sort of swishes as you walk. I stalk deer, so it may be an issue. The mods on the RM Tahr are a definate improvement for me, but would prefer the old style material.

kizzer35

Forager
Dec 22, 2007
Devon
Thanks for the review, enjoyed it. I've had one of these for a couple of years. Got it off the RM site. I think it must be the old style material as it's very soft and noiseless. I tend to pull the waist in and let some of the material from the body fold back over the draw string / or my rucksack waist strap. This makes it end mid thigh, which means I can put my hands in trouser pockets if need be. To be honest I don't find walking on the moor with hands in pockets a good idea as I usually fall over a few times a trip though I appreciate it's nice when you stop if it's chilly. The first few times I wore it I found my hands instinctively reaching for pockets which weren't there, though you get used to it. The two chest pockets can take the essentials. When I stop in the rain I usually let it down again so I can sit without getting my backside wet, looks like a sort of activity nightgown. By this point I'm usually in the middle of nowhere so who cares what the look is. It does wet out in real heavy sustained rain though I've always been dry underneath and feel nicely cocooned from the elements in it. I really like this jacket which is a relief as it cost a bomb. Cheers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE