Swanndri Ranger shirt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Another of my birthday presents has arrived!

My wife bought me a Swanndri Ranger shirt with a zip front, two large breast pockets and button up cuffs. It is a lovely shade of 'Bushcraft' green and so far fits very nicely! I had to send the first one back as the missus got it in large, and if anyone here owns any swanni kit, you'll know that large is just that!

The shirt is cut to fit very loosely as it is designed to be worn over the top of other clothes. The hem of the shirt comes down to below my butt, so at least that won't get cold, or the small of my back by the shirt riding up.

As the sleeves have a buttoned cuff, the sleeves can be rolled up to vent off if required. Although it is winter and I won't need to do that for a while, come spring I may need to. The zip is a brass YKK type and very well made so I shouldn't have any problems with that. It comes about halfway down the front of the shirt to the centre of my sternum, so will also be good for venting off when I get too warm. The collar can be flipped up for a bit more warmth aswell. A button hole and button on either lapel respectively would have been a good idea, so that the collar can be secured around the neck for even more warmth, but it should be OK as it is.

The pockets are rather big, and they are quite low down on the shirt. The top is below the level of my armpits and the bottom of the pockets draw level with the bottom of my ribcage, I imagine this will make it easier to get things out of the pockets without having to lift my arms above my head to get into the pockets!

The wool is slightly itchy against bare skin, but not too uncomfortable. Again, it will have layers underneath, when it is really cold i will have one of my dockers shirts on underneath, and once I get my swedish snow smock on top I will be toasty.

So far, that is pretty much all I can tell you, I have yet to use it outside and i may go out tomorrow to start getting the bits I need for my bush saw!! Again, if you are thinking of getting one of these, make sure you get your sizing correct, the medium is quite big and the large is massive!

Ranger Shirt bought from Survival School for under £60.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Haha, not only do we share the same birthday Spamel, but the same gifts as well - my parents got me a Ranger shirt for my birthday as well, they're great aren't they?

Wore mine the whole of the last weekend at the xmas moot, with a Howies merino base layer underneath and a down body warmer over the top and was toasty warm.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
dommyracer said:
Haha, not only do we share the same birthday Spamel, but the same gifts as well - my parents got me a Ranger shirt for my birthday as well, they're great aren't they?

Wore mine the whole of the last weekend at the xmas moot, with a Howies merino base layer underneath and a down body warmer over the top and was toasty warm.

What a strange coincidence!! I have a woolen dockers shirt that were touted as being great bits of it on here a while ago, and they really are good. It is a woolen shirt with nylon reinforcements on the pockets and colar, and is lovely and warm. I think with the ranger shirt on top and my swedish snow smock over that, Lowe Alpine mountain cap on my head and my new American army mittens with woolen inners, I should be ready to face the cold, bleak german winter without any worries!!

And all in bushcraft green! :lmao:

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
falling rain said:
So what is the advantages/disadvantages over a ranger extreme and just a ranger.?
The difference is that the extreme has a 'hydrotec' drop lining which is waterproof and windproof (something the regular Swannis really are not). The Extreme's are very snug and really do benefit from being windproof, however, the downside is that the lining is quite 'noisy' at first, so not ideal for stalking or such like.

Patrick

davef

Forager
Mar 6, 2006
North Lancashire
Does the extreme's liner get less noisy then? currently mine sounds like wearing a bin liner but i've only worn it half a dozen times..

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
davef said:
Does the extreme's liner get less noisy then? currently mine sounds like wearing a bin liner but i've only worn it half a dozen times..
I've got a Mosgiel Extreme and yes, the lining does get quieter as it softens. I don't think it will ever be silent, but it's a marked improvement from when it was new :rolleyes:

Having said that, I'm very grateful to the lining when that cold wind comes whipping across the top of the North Downs... :D

The other advantage of the lining is it's not itchy against the skin ;)

Patrick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE