Swags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 12, 2007
Canada
Good day from Canada. I have been recently researching Australian Swags as a new shelter choice for myself and my daughter. My almost 20 year old Eureka A frame tent has about had it(I can't repatch and reseal it much more...many good years of service).
I was wondering if any of you folks have had any experience with them, as I find that to me at least, they are a good shelter choice. My old tent was a hefty 9 Ibs, so I'll be use to the idea of a heavier swag.
I'd be particularily interested in anyone from Australia on this forum who has had experience with them, adding their opinion. I was thinking of constructing my own, but not sure if I'm that talented to pull it off. And I'm not particularily interested in a synthetic bivy sack, as an alternative. Right now the Canadian dollar is very good against the Australian dollar so ordering one from Oz would be financially feasable.
Anyway, looking forward to your thoughts, before I go 'Waltzing Matilda' :D
Cheers
Alex

seamonkey

Forager
Sep 11, 2004
Scotland - Angus
I like swags, i've just spent a couple of years over in the part of the world and borrowed a couple now and again.
- timeless design and they just work, typically canvas and built to last so they are heavy however: - usually thrown on the back of the ute.

A mate of mine still uses his great uncles, a bit like the akubra a good one is designed to last a lifetime.

If you can order one without the matress should save you a wee bit on shipping,

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Can Tho, Vietnam (Australian)
Hi Alex,

A typical modern swag is made up of canvas, with a micro mesh insect barrier and a high density foam mattress, some are free standing tent like shelters and others are like a bivvi bag made from canvas.

Swags can be pretty good, great for a comfortable nights sleep and protection from the weather.

This is the up side of using one, the downside is that they tend to be pretty bulky and heavy, great for fixed camps and vehicle based camping trips but not much good if you plan to walk anywhere.

As I have said there are a few different types of swag, the free standing type, the “Hammock” type (i.e. you need a couple of trees or similar to hold them up) and there is the Bivvi bag kind.

My own swag is of the “hammock” type and is very comfortable to sleep in but impossible to carry any distance as it weighs in at about 9 kg with out any sleeping kit in it, it has an annex that is made out of the fold over roofing canvas, with walls at each end that have windows that can be rolled up when needed, bug mesh through out and a small length of canvas the length of the swag to use as a floor when you take your boots off.

http://www.campout.com.au/swags.html
if you look at the bugout one here it is similar to this but solid end walls.

If you want one to carry look into a biker swag, they are designed to carry strapped to your bike and although not too light they can be carried under the lid of a pack as a small bed roll but these ones are not known for the level of comfort they offer and are pretty basic in design.

It all comes down to what you want from them and how you are travelling & how much you want to spend on one…

Here is another location you might like to look at…
http://www.theswagstore.com.au/commerce.asp?CatId=351

Cheers

Karl

(I have no connection with the above websites, just used as examples)

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Alex,

The traditional swag is made up of a sheet of light canvas, two wool blankets and an old belt to hold it closed when rolled up & some rope to carry it over your shoulder, it is nothing more than a Bedroll as used in North America, the main difference is that they had some form of mattres in them (not very thick) and all their worldly goods rolled up in the middle.

To make one all you need is a Hootchie, Poncho or tarp, a roll mat and a couple of blankets, lay the hootchie / tarp down place the foll mat on one side, fold your blankets length ways and put on top of the mat so that they open in opposite directions, one overlaps the other, fold the hootchie around the mat & blankets to form a large flat parcel and then roll it up, put an old belt around it and tie some rope to make a carry strap (like a tump line) and there you have it a genuine "modern" swag...
To sleep in it just roll it out and fold the end your feet are at under to form an envelope it is that basic...

A Swggie would keep his limited food in a tucker bag and carried his water in a billy can and a tin / enamel cup tied to his tucker bag strap, a folding stockmans knife and a box of matches in his pocket, a broard brim hat on his head and some light weight cotton clothes on his back, nothing fancy, as you have to remember that a swagman is basically a homeless person who travels from property to property looking for work & living beneath the stars...

Cheers,

Karl

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
Must say ive been using one I got from THE AUSSIE SHOP IM know way connected to this outlet but must say the product is brill I bought one back in spring at the Birmingham out door show Im a big chap around 16 stonish and I found it roomy its quite heavy I keep my sleeping bag and full size pillow inside and just unroll when ready to use

Nov 12, 2007
Canada
Templar, thanks, I may give it a go on making my own. Much good info. I wonder though, how did those swagmen deal with mozzies? Here in Canada, at certain times of the year they're formidable!
Jared thanks for the link...pretty nice kit!
Cheers
Alex

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Hi Alex

After reading your question I rang my mum, her father was a drover / stockman out in the bush for years (he was born in 1892 and yes my mum is a lot older than most expect considering I'm only 32), she told me her dad used to burn cow pats as a sort of smudge fire to keep the mozzies down, also he smoked some very smoky tobacco specifically for them too, they rolled their sleeves down and some times would put the tarp over their head from the bed roll, other methods used was smearing mud or clay on the skin or the most fool proof method he used was to drink a lot of Rum and never noticed them... :beerchug:

From my own experience out in the Bush in oz, a lot of the mozzie problem comes down to camp location, camp more than 300m from still water, always try to find a place that has a fairly constant breeze, use a smoky fire by burning cow, horse or kangaroo chips, and green eucalypt leaves over a slow fire or bed of coals to smudge the little vampyres away...

To improve your non attractiveness to mozzies, take Vit B tablets & Garlic caps 3 times per day, fresh garlic will work too, you will need to dose up for a week before you go field (I did this all the time when I was teaching at the Jungle warfare school in stead of using chemical repellents)or if you can handle it eat Vegemite coz it is loaded with Vit B & Mozzies are repelled by high concentrations of Vit B, don’t wear dark coloured clothing, and avoid scented soaps and deodorants and last but not least use a mozzie net if all the above is too much...

Hope this helps,

Karl

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE