SW Bushcraft Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
Received my Stewart Marsh Bushcraft knife this morning with a Bubinga wood handle. :)

Looks and feels great. Can't wait till the weekend, off to France for two weeks.

On initially inspection I would say £128 inc p&p is good.

If any members have any tips to aid me in looking after it, please feel free.

Will let you know how I get on.

Getting some strange looks from my work mates :eek:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Don't lend it to ANYONE!!

It will get ruined and you will be gutted. I lent a cheap knife and fork type affair issued to french troops to my troop commander earlier this year. We were about to deploy on exercise and it was the only knife I took but it was sharp. He asked to borrow it, I foolishly trusted him and found him cutting electrical wire with it :eek: If that wasn't bad enough, the reel on the back of the CVRT is about two feet away from the toolbin that has a pair of pliers in it!! Knife was ruined and I didn't have a sharpening stone with me.

Never lend your knife to ANYONE!!!

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
spamel said:

It will get ruined and you will be gutted. I lent a cheap knife and fork type affair issued to french troops to my troop commander earlier this year. We were about to deploy on exercise and it was the only knife I took but it was sharp. He asked to borrow it, I foolishly trusted him and found him cutting electrical wire with it :eek: If that wasn't bad enough, the reel on the back of the CVRT is about two feet away from the toolbin that has a pair of pliers in it!! Knife was ruined and I didn't have a sharpening stone with me.

I could not agree with the above statement more!

also keep a keen edge, I tend to sharpen a knife every day I use it

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
Thanks for the replys :)

Moduser - what type of oil do you recommend ?

Spamel - typical Rodney, highly educated but lacking in the common ;)

Scruff - thanks for the link, taking the car on the ferry

Pignut - am awating delivery of a new stone as we speak

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Phil,

For the blade I tend to just use gun oil but any light mineral oil will do fine, even 3 in 1 is OK. All your trying to do is form a micro thin barrier to prevent moisture attacking the carbon steel.

For the sheath I use normal boot polish, don't forget to buff it up else it will make a mess of your clothes, but I have been recommended saddle soap. I haven't bought any yet so can't comment.

David

Tigger

Just thought I would reccomend Tuff Glide oil available from heinnie.com
this is great if you are storing your knife for long amounts of time and great for the old Swiss Army knife,it drys to leave a waterproof micro layer on the blade and is realy cool 3in1 is also one of the best all round oils.And as :) for food The Roman`s used olive oil on swords and knives as well as their leather kit.
O.k. I`ll shut up now.
Tigger.

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
spamel said:
. . .

Me (to Scout who borrowed knife): "Can I have my knife back now?" :)

Him: "I returned it." :)

Me: "I don't think you did." :confused:

Him: "I put it on the bumper of your car." :) [40 k back up the road]

Me: :eek:

That was 23 years ago. NEVER since. :eek:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
moduser said:
Phil,

For the sheath I use normal boot polish, don't forget to buff it up else it will make a mess of your clothes, but I have been recommended saddle soap. I haven't bought any yet so can't comment.

David

Boot polish is the best, don't use saddle-soap, it will soften the leather too much and will eventually loose its shape and become loose fitting. I know a few people who have used it on pistol holsters, which were ruined beyond repair.

A

Andrzej

Just received mine in the post at work.
Looks and feels good, but isn't shaving the hairs off my arm as I'd expect. Will a good strop sort it?

ScanDgrind

Banned
Mar 18, 2004
Cornwall
I tend to carry a cloth soaked in olive oil. I keep it in one of those plastic zip lock bags, generaly stuffed in one of my pockets. As spamel mentioned you don't really want to be using anything but an edible oil on a bushcraft knife if you're going to be prepariing food with it.

The cloth also comes in handy for wiping around cooking pots, billys, frying pans etc to help stop food sticking to them when you cook. It makes cleaning them a lot easier :) .

Tony

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE