Sussex Bushcraft group meet for SEPTEMBER: 28th to the 30th

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
What a pity - I would have had one of those off you! Couldn't go to my local boot fair as daughter was asleep and we missed it

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
I have the blue card in my wallet Jack stating what meds I take and must have if in trouble.
You can ask at your pharmacist about carrying a blue card for emergencies, no charge for them.

Thanks Hugo, I'll do that and keep it to hand. Also good to know that you've got one.

My first aid training is a bit dated and was skewed towards being a lifeguard. Mind you, the last meet I was at drowning was a distinct possibility!

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Hugo, I've NEVER seen you use a billy for water but seen you use one of the kettles umpteen times ;)

I'm up for a GB one. A 5 ltr is a good size and can just be left on the boil. It doesn't have full all of the time.

I'm sick of filling up my 2 person kettle, putting it on to boil and then finding that a short time later other people have taken the water and not bothered to fill it again!

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I'm sick of filling up my 2 person kettle, putting it on to boil and then finding that a short time later other people have taken the water and not bothered to fill it again!

Thats the problem isnt it?, the same thing happened on more than one occasion with my big kettle, i would fill it up, put it on to boil then when i went to use it, find it was empty and nobody had bothered to go fill it up again, despite there being full or nearly full water containers nearby, usually yours, Simons or mine, one occassion, the thing nearly boiled dry, as nobody had filled it up after using it, but had conveniently left it over the fire, if it had got knackered it would of course then been "my kettle" and "I" would have been left with the bill to replace it.

Last edited:

F7144

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2011
Kent
Jack

Neil and myself hold current first aid qualifications, and when I'm there my first aid kit is very comprehensive. You are right though, the group should be aware of any known medical condition/needs. Hope to be out soon.

Luke

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Cool guys, I was just concerned for when first aiders aren't always there and additional info on people's medical history could mean the right treatment quicker than having to wait on results. Hugo's blue card thing is something I will do and let you guys know about incase I have an attack. Like a donor card, it's no use if people don't know you've got one. I think it's worth carrying every day, so will go into my wallet.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
My big kettle is made by Zebra of billy can fame by the way, it that helps in the search for another.

It will be used this very weekend in fact at a locally organised dads 'n' lads camping weekend (though I do understand Hugo's point about lugging loads of gear around!)

I'm doing a first aid qualification tomorrow & next Wednesday too, to bring my rusty skills up-to-date.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
I'm at work so can see ebay, but Zebra Kettle is pulling up ebay results when typed into Google. No Google shopping results though.

On the FAK kit front I haven't noticed anyone carrying one (though they might well be carrying one in a pocket or non-descript pouch) and I thought that having a FAK in proximity to your sharps was a "Cardinal Rule".

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
On the kettle front. Ours melted the plastic handle & whistler. When I've modded that I'll continue bringing it along, but I'm also up for a GB if the buy is for Stainless.

I get the idea that a bigger kettle also has a downside, surely that needs topped up with the same regularity as a small one? Otherwise there will be a big re-fill and it will take ages to boil. Swings and Roundabouts though.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
On the FAK kit front I haven't noticed anyone carrying one (though they might well be carrying one in a pocket or non-descript pouch) and I thought that having a FAK in proximity to your sharps was a "Cardinal Rule".

Just on that point, my standard practice is to have on me a 'cuts kit' at all times (ie pocket sized aloksak with plasters, steri-strips, wipes etc), with a more comprehensive kit in the side pocket of my pack. I think (hope!) that's what most folks do!

Simon H

Nomad
Feb 20, 2008
The Ashdown Forest
I'm a qualified first aider too, normally with a small kit in my pocket/on my belt at meets and a bigger one in my pack.

A group buy on a kettle would be good, I'd be happy to put in, maybe we should have a group training session on keeping them full too....

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
I'd be really up for attending a first aid course, I did one when I was a Coast Guard but that was a couple of years ago now and didn't really deal with cuts more falls, drowning and maiming by motorboat!

hellobayo

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2012
Redhill
I've just finished a 3 part paediatric emergency first aid course today, too. Looks like there will be plenty of ppl with first aid skills.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Hugo, I've NEVER seen you use a billy for water but seen you use one of the kettles umpteen times ;)

I'm up for a GB one. A 5 ltr is a good size and can just be left on the boil. It doesn't have full all of the time.

Only just noticed this post Widu mate. I love you too you nice chap you, you can use my billy can any time you want, just top it up if it is low, billy cans are like wine glasses, they can be half full or half empty, I prefer the half full ones.
Looking forward to the meet, hope I remember to take a sleeping bag this time.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hope you guys have had a great weekend, any idea what dates are the next months meets I was speaking to Paul and Tony this last few days and we would like to pop down and see you guys again, may be stay an extra night as well if it can be arranged...

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I'm working Satur-day, so hope to be there for Sat night. I'm not messing around this time so will use one of my hooped bivis I think.

1 Hugo - on his ownsome
2 Simon H - possibly
3 Loenja yup, i can finally make another one
4 Kep - possibly
5 Phil - Newbie
6 Colin - Newbie Mk2
7 Peter_t
8 Rich83 (aka Rich) - Super Noob
9 widu13 (Sat night)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE