Sussex Bushcraft group meet for JULY: 27th TO 29th

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
oh i see, the 1st meet i can get to in ages and all of a sudden you cant come over:lmao:

:mad: Not a good time Spike! I've NEVER stopped (or asked) her from doing anything. Now it seems I'm inconsiderate and the devil. Oh, and it's my fault that I didn't remind her that the meet is the last weekend of EVERY month. :deadhorse:

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
:mad: Not a good time Spike! I've NEVER stopped (or asked) her from doing anything. Now it seems I'm inconsiderate and the devil. Oh, and it's my fault that I didn't remind her that the meet is the last weekend of EVERY month. :deadhorse:

Man, im glad im a single chappie these days :), come up for brew at the very least though if you can, be good to catch up, got your fiver here as well for my part of the chute purchase.

TimD

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2011
Coulsdon
Appologies for the last notice but we are going to have to drop out of this weekend.

Last minute Olympics DR event for the weekend :-(

Tim D

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Just got back from the Help for Heroes walk, but, im all packed now and apart from chucking the food in the cool bag in the morning am ready to go - see you all tomorrow

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Well I am back early from the Sussex meet, was only going for a one nighter anyway as I am suffering from fatigue, but what a Friday night to remember, Parachute was put up as rain was mentioned to be coming our way, and rain it did, light at first then the heavens opened up, now most of us had our wet weather gear safely stowed in our respected tents/ bashers, so we sat it out for a few minutes and got soaked as the chute was pitched too low and water was pouring in, the fire was just about put out , choking fumes were building up, for me anyway as I have asthma, so a bit of a damp squib, now as I am a bit forgetful I have a list of kit to take, on the list is a sleeping bag and spare cloathes, I remember picking them up and when I got home they were sitting in my garage where I left them, another reason for not staying another night with friends.
Now I have a confession to make, last meet up I took along a fire grill so as we could all cook over it and make tea, the reason I took it was I knew the people who usually bring one along would not be at the meet first day, so this time I left it behind on purpose just to see who would make something up like a pot hanger or who would just sit there.
Good old RockMonkey hears the news no fire grill knocks one up in no time, now I know he like me took along plenty of burners and hobo stove to cook on but he enjoyed making it, mind you the swing gate type Petert made at one meet could never be beaten in my books.
So guys thanks for attempting a bit of bushcraft with me this weekend, collecting firewood and Reco for bringing some along, also the people who usually make a few meets worth going to who were not present, you guys know who you are, I salute you all.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Back from a pleasant but damp weekend - can someone PM me neumo's number, please?

Paul Kirtley turned up to say "Hello" as Jack and Rico had been on some of his courses (and Rico was going away for a week with him!).

Heavens opened this morning too, just as I was packing up so tarp still soaking but hanging in garage to dry now. Managed to get the 'chute down when it was fairly dry (coped better with the rain as we'd pitched at a higher angle and the tar from the smoke probably helped seal it a bit too). Not very well attended, this meet, but welcome to GoingNative who came for the first time :)

Off to work this evening... booo..... :(

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Sorry I had to run off first thing but I woke up feeling really rough for some reason. I had a great sleep until 5am ish when I woke up feeling Ill & could not settle in my hammock.

Big, Big Thanks to Bill for helping me get packed up so I could make my way home. I slept for about 10 hours when I got back, so must have picked up a bug or something. Hopefully the bill got paid & Jack has kindly offered to look after my stuff until the next meet.

Had a great time until then & was nicely de stressed after a busy week at work. Will book up the next meets tomorrow.

Dave

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Bill has PM'd saying that the Bill is paid & the next meet is booked which is great. Am still feeling tired so am off to bed. Shame I missed Paul K but there is always another time.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Bill has PM'd saying that the Bill is paid & the next meet is booked which is great. Am still feeling tired so am off to bed. Shame I missed Paul K but there is always another time.

lets hope it's booked for a pitch where people can actually set up a tent or two this time, did we book D13 as agreed earlier in this thread or is it back at N1 again?

veryWildbill

Nomad
Aug 15, 2010
west sussex
August meet is booked for 17th-19th and we are on D13. See you all next month. I've not been on this pitch before but I'm sure it will be fine.

What can possibly go wrong?

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Don't worry Dave, Paul will try and pop along to another one. Good meet packed with interesting twists. Big thanks to Bill for stepping in and sorting the fees and booking. I'll take a look at a temp rope till we sort what we want. Fingers crossed for some dry weather this week and I'll try and get the chute dried. Thanks to everyone for helping get it up and down, (and up and down again).

Lessons learnt

1. Utility rope braid is stronger than its core
2. The chute isn't waterproof
3. 7 men standing as close to the fire as possible doesn't make it stop raining
4. Maybe we should consider a medical and emergency contact list, just in case
5. It is possible to get soaked 5 times in one day and not develope webbed feet

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I seem to remember you were going to cook a group meal Amanda, thank goodness for dry rations.
Did you have a better offer for the weekend, if not you missed getting soaked to the skin and choking fumes from the fire when the place got flooded. :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE