survivorman?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Okay, I'm going to clear up a few things here.

Firstly, Survivorman is NOT American. His name is Les Straud, and he lives in Ontario, Canada. He is sponsored mostly by the Mountain Equipment Co-op

He originally started a folk musician, but from what I've read, wasn't able to get a record contract. He had always had an interest in the outdoors and ended up taking any and every course that was available to him on bush survival.

He met his wife, and the two of them lived for almost a year out in a remote location somwhere in the Canadian backwoods, and they lived basically as primative man/woman. He filmed this entire expedition and it was screened for an audience in (I believe) a Canadian outdoor film festival. The Outdoor Live Channel (OLN) picked up on it, and with the MEC offered to sponsor him in a tv show. There are 9 episodes, the 10th is a behind the scenes.

I'm glad that someone finally mentioned "Survivorman" because for a while I've been contemplating whether or not to write a post about him, because I have a feeling he's sort of a Canadian version of Ray Mears.

Anyway, the show IS real. When I first started watching it, I was pretty sure that it was faked for effect. But I did some research on it, and needless to say, I was very impressed.

OLN basically picks a location and simulates basic survival disasters, such as a mountaineer who loses his way, a plane crash, etc etc.. For the plane episode, they had a company airdrop a wrecked Cessna 172 and made him put his arm in a sling to simulate a disaster.

They drop him in there with only the clothes on his back, no food or water and says "See you in a week." Oh, did I mention that he lugs around about fifty pounds of camera gear and batteries, too? There IS a tv crew that follows him around for the first few hours of the first day, and as well there is a base-camp looking out for him.

He carries a sat phone with him, but is not allowed any communication with the base-camp unless he breaks a leg or something. I read that he figured out that it only gets reception about 50% of the time, so if things took a turn for the worse, he'd be out of luck.

The funny thing with it is how real it is. I admit, I was skeptical at first, but a little internet surfing changed my opinion. He usually just has whatever clothes he's wearing at the time (appropiately done up with MEC Logo's) a Leatherman multi-tool, and maybe a couple pieces of chewing gum. And that's it.

So it means that if he wants to do a shot of himself walking around a lake, he has to go set up the camera, walk to the other side, take the shot, and then go have another look at the camera. If he screws up the shot, well, then he has to do it again.

I think the genius of "Survivorman" is how Les is able to improvise with whatever is available. And he makes mistakes, too. Some are silly mistakes, but others are useful things to remember. I think the mistakes are inevitable, there are some episodes where he doesn't eat a thing the entire 7 days except for maybe a grub or two. But in the end, it shows you that we CAN survive with little or no equipment as long as we improvise.

Yeah. So that's that.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
good post addyb!

I havent seen the program so I cant comment on it, but that was the first post which actually gave detailed information of what the show is about and how it is done.

I shall watch it when i get back

fa11en ange1

Forager
Jun 20, 2005
Dover, Kent
www.fragraceandgame.com
Personally I enjoy survivor man, it is great edutainment. The improvisation with the available resources is truely superb and has so far taught me a few things. It also nice to see that even someone far more skilled than I still makes errors. For instance with the plane crash in the snow he had to give in using just one arm as the situation became far more dangerous than anticipated. Equally he gave up in the canyons a day early due to the water shortage. This, for me, shows that even when you know everything will end OK ti can still be incredibly difficult to maintain the right attitude.

Goose said:
the danger of disease from rats etc come up a few times then he drank straight from a puddle that had mouse/rat tracks around it without sterilising! Not exactly best practice

True enough but if you were in a real survival situation and that was you only source of water, and you had no way of steralising what would you do? Is it not better to take the water and gamble with catching something? Afterall you can always get medical attention once rescued where as if you die of dehydration that's the end.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I might take risks in a survival situation, but he wasn't!
He drank from a small puddle there was very little water there, and what there was stood a fair chance of being diseased, little gain for a lot of risk.
There seemed to be a fair amount of resources around, he had plenty of firewoood and had no problems making a shelter but he left the water he found to go back to his cave. I know the importance of shelter but in his situation water was his priority(or seemed so to me) and he decided it was too far to travel to again!
I know everybody has there own take on things and there we would all have our own way of doing things, this is just my opinion of what I saw and the questions it raised to me

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
No, I completely agree. Les does make silly mistakes. In all fairness, I give him the benefit of the doubt in the situations he is presented.

When someone is alone in a bad situation, and he/she hasn't eaten a thing for days on end, a person sometimes can't think as clearly as they would if they were properly nourished. So simple mistakes are made, and sometimes they can be costly.

The good thing is that I've learned a few things from watching "Survivorman."

Edutainment at it's best!

Adam

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
Goose said:
I might take risks in a survival situation, but he wasn't!
He drank from a small puddle there was very little water there, and what there was stood a fair chance of being diseased, little gain for a lot of risk.
There seemed to be a fair amount of resources around, he had plenty of firewood and had no problems making a shelter but he left the water he found to go back to his cave. I know the importance of shelter but in his situation water was his priority(or seemed so to me) and he decided it was too far to travel to again!
I know everybody has there own take on things and there we would all have our own way of doing things, this is just my opinion of what I saw and the questions it raised to me

When Les drank from that puddle he had had hardly anything to drink for some days and had not found that larger puddle. He drank form it because he knew he was quite badly dehydrated, at that time that was the only water he knew about so he had little chose other than drink it as he had no way of knowing when he would get his next drink. He knew if he did not get water on board he would slowly deteriorate and become a real survivor.

Thats one point about this program that you are missing, Les is not a survivor but the situation he puts himself in is very close to being one. Anything could go wrong and he is in big trouble as he is already using his energy reserves. The only thing he has to rely on is a sat phone and if you have ever had the pleasure of using one you will know that it is not as simple as just picking up the phone.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE