Survival usage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
With lots of talk about the various survival kits that people carry, I was wondering, have any of you had to fall back on your survival kit to ... um, ... er... survive?

What did you find most useful in your kit? what did you find least useful? What one item would you add to your kit as a result of what you learned in the survival situation?

Thanks

Julia

Mack13

Jul 15, 2013
Wiltshire
I have never had to use mine but will let you know how it fares when the zombie invasion happens....

It will happen.. I know it..

*shifts eyes left and right.. looks over shoulder and puts tin foil hat back on*

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Ive used mine numerous times, apart from the normal repair uses the ones that stick out are

One of the girls in sales, several button had burst of her blouse so unfortunately she used the sewing kit to repair that.

While cycling, an oap collapsed and fell on pavement just in front of me in the rain, i had kit so poncho and mylar blanket etc while waiting for ambulance, although i think company may have helped the most.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Though I wouldn't call it a survival situation per say, I have used a sportsman blanket as a sole covering for sleeping. It was in early dec. out hunting when one of the party spilled gasoline my sleeping bag, most of the food and other equipment. I was not hot but was comfortable through the night. In the evening use it as a cowl/cape to capture some campfire heat, then wrapped myself for the rest of the night.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
I was once on a stag do and on the second day we decided out of nowhere to climb the old man in the lakes, it was a lovely warm sunny day and pretty much everyone set off with just a bottle of water in there pocket, a third of the way in the weather soon changed and the clouds came in, luckily I had my rucksack the extra clothing and enough sausage rolls for everyone!
survival dosnt have to mean 50 days stranded on an island, survival kit or just kit for most of us is just about making life easier and safer in sticky unforeseen situations

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Cash from the £100 I carry for emergencies has come in handy a few times over the years.

I've done this for years and can confirm this has been the most useful bit of kit I've ever carried :)

I also have a sewing kit in my truck and another in my travel bag wash kit...have had cause to use them both from time to time. I find everybody is terribly impressed when I whip out the needle and thread to make repairs, one notable incident was a group ski trip where my brother-in-law's holdall caught on a luggage trolly and spilled his load (so to speak) all over the airport floor. Had him rough sewn up and the bags checked in no time, it even survived the flight and baggage handlers and made it safely back to the uk :)

Actual dinky little Baccy tin survival kits??? Not for me really.....I have several and the little boy in me loves playing with them but for anything serious I rely on what I always have with me and that's my knowledge, witts, sence of humour and ingenuity :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE