Summer wild camp near Llyn Caseg Fraith

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
My son & his best friend (both 10 yrs old) have been badgering me to take them wild camping, ever since I told them of my time in both cadets (ATC) and TA (5th Bn Royal Anglians). Well having tried camping in the back garden, letting them sleep under a tarp on our annual 'normal' camping trip, they were adamant only the real deal would do!
So, I proposed a trip to Llyn Caseg Fraith, near Trefan, in May this year. We set off early on a Saturday morning and headed to Betws Y Coed and arrived just in time to catch the end of the Lions Australia game. After a quick mooch around the outdoors shops for some last minute shiny things, we set off to Capel Curig and found somewhere to park next to the Joe Brown climbing shop. Once loaded with all our gear, we set off up the path and on to the ridge that would lead us to Trefan, we started in sunshine but as is typical the weather changed and we entered cloud, making navigation trickier. After a couple of hours walking and climbing through varied terrain we eventually started to descend towards the lake, but due to the cloud we couldn't see it until the clouds briefly parted and a stunning vista appeared before us. There was Llyn Caseg Fraith and behind it rising majestically was Trefan! Just as quickly though the clouds closed up and we headed down to the lake to look for a suitable spot to camp. For anyone who doesn't know the area, let's just say it's boggy and leave it at that! The kids explored the plateau whilst my friend and I set up the tents etc on a little bit of raised ground in the shelter of a little knoll. After eating tea, the weather started to deteriorate with rain and a wind that was increasing in ferocity. I was debating about bailing out and descending to lower ground, but the wind steadied and remained hard with gusts up to approx. 45~50 mph and I decided it was better to remain and batten down the hatches rather than trying to navigate in the dark and negotiate steep terrain. After a rough but exciting night we awoke to some stunning views and had breakfast before packing up camp. Shortly before heading down to the Ogwen valley the weather, once again closed in and with the wind at our backs we headed down along the flanks of Trefan. As we descended groups of people passed us on there way up with quizzical looks, as if to say where the heck have you come from this early. We just smiled and carried on down, walking back up the valley to Capel Currig and an early brunch in the café before the long drive back to Warwickshire.
So what did I learn? Well kids have far more stamina than we give them credit for. Lightweight tents and bivies are tougher than I thought (Alpkit Delta's, whilst not perfect are amazingly tough). In future I'll take dehydrated food (less weight and pack size). My son needs to get older and bigger (so he can carry more and share the work) lol.
I'll try to add some pictures of the trip!
1003850_555904331114950_1098719264_n.jpg

19904_555909021114481_149996271_n.jpg

1009760_555907861114597_1016783919_n.jpg
1016070_555941867777863_1261521018_n.jpg
1016828_555910184447698_1098552863_n.jpg
1043890_555907047781345_2119459151_n.jpg
19915_555907357781314_525420443_n.jpg

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Looks like everyone had fun , stormy nights spent in a tent or just outdoors are never forgotten, it just makes it more fun

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
Thanks it certainly was, we were planning to do more this year, but an ankle injury put paid to that, limiting us to an overnighter at Rough Close. More planned for next year, currently thinking of the Howgills, or the Yorkshire 3 peaks, or the Brecon Beacons / Elan valley. Either way definitely getting out more. Planning on getting a Trailstar to as the Alpkit Delta is good for one with kit, but not 2 and I just love the Trailstar.
For anyone interested the kit list was as follows
Karimore foxhole hooped Bivy (my old army one)
Alpkit Delta, plus alpkit ali Y stakes
Alpkit dirtbag
Thermarest Base camp (too big) now have a mountain equipment one
Primus Himalayer multi fuel stove, sporks, vango cook set (too heavy)
drinksafe systems inline filter (excellent)
water bottles 0.75l x 2
look what we found food, various flavours (very tasty but not enough and too bulky / heavy)
Lightwave 60l rucksack for me, North Face Meteor 20 for my son
Various Montane clothing
And lastly Alpkit skyehigh sleeping bags

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That was a great write up thanks. It's so good to see kids being encouraged to go out and fill up on memories and experiences. They're often written off as just wanting to stay in and play games. But some good support will see them right.

Not an area I really know so nice too see and the pics look like your having fun despite the weather.

Great stuff,
GB.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE