Summer camps?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Just having a preactive think about what I'd like to do next summer (I'm a student, by the way). Was having a little look at Camp America, but what I got wondering if there was anything similar, but a bit more 'scouty', that you guys knew of? A camp that I could go over, help out with, and *hopefully* come out broadly cash neutral. Ideally in America or Canada.

Cheers,

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Just a bump and a further appeal for information. I have emailed scouts organisations around the world, but not sure if I will get any response.

Any ideas much appreciated,

Thanks

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Grampus does a lot of exchange programme for students (and other folks, eg. craftspeople) witha focus on practical skills.
It's European based, but I know of friends who've gone to Slovakia, Finland, Mongolia.....

The home page I can find seems to suggest N.E. based but I have a friend who organises Grampus exchanges for Scots :confused: I know of 15 year olds, and 50 year olds who have participated.
Anyway might be worth a look;

some links
http://www.grampusheritage.co.uk/DESIRE MAIN.htm
http://www.grampusheritage.co.uk/current projects.htm
http://www.grampusheritage.co.uk/TICATEC Main.htm
http://www.grampus.co.uk/

best of luck with it all,
cheers,
Toddy

Just having a preactive think about what I'd like to do next summer (I'm a student, by the way). Was having a little look at Camp America, but what I got wondering if there was anything similar, but a bit more 'scouty', that you guys knew of? A camp that I could go over, help out with, and *hopefully* come out broadly cash neutral. Ideally in America or Canada.

Cheers,

yes I did this, cant type now as i'm off out but I'll post asap.

Bodge

Hi Biddlesby,
I had the same thoughts as you are having now when I was 21 (1991).
I saved up from my wages and decided to travel for a bit.
I ended up going down the camp america route as they payed for the flight and all my board and lodgings plus gave you some pocket money.

I had always had a Scouting background so opted to apply for scouting camps.
I got positioned at a girl scout camp in pennsylvania as a maintenance man.

There was 200+ kids and about 40 staff all of which were female except my boss (the caretaker) and another lad from Hungary.

I found this experience to be second to none. I spent 10 weeks there and travelled for another 4 weeks afterwards. I made new friends and learnt new things especially about myself. Although I took a position as a maintenance man there are dozens of positions to go for, each camp does different stuff.

You will need some money before you go as the pay is crap but they pay for flight tickets and acommodation etc. you wont need money to live just for travelling.

I would definatley recommend this kind of experience to anyone young and single.

You just have to get the ball rolling and make some enquiries.:)

Bodge

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Hi Biddlesby

Have you looked at Raleigh International? Formerly Operation Raleigh, Raleigh International is a organisation for 17-24 year olds broadly based on environmental, youth development and third world assistance projects.
The basic format is a twelve week expedition usually to a third world country (though I think there are some US trips). The twelve weeks are broken in to three week phases where you may do anything from environmental work to building a village hall to mountaineering or kyacking.
I had a great trip to Chile in 94, you have to raise £3000 but most participants see thier trips as life changing experiences, I certainly got a huge amount from the expedition and look back on it with fond memories. www.raleigh.org.uk
Ta Ed

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Thanks everybody! I will follow up all these leads....except I certainly don't have £3000 to spare! But it does sound awesome.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE