Suggestions on camping stove?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bumblebee

Nomad
May 27, 2005
Here and there
"Meths" is just etanol and a vomiting agent to stop people drinking it. Some countries mixes in a bit of metanol as well (Sweden comes in mind).

Surgical alcohol is just pure etanol so it will work just fine as you have discovered.

Mix your meths with 5% water, this will help against sooting (probably a swinglish word...)

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Sorry Tommy, just had a quick read and missed your post. But they are good cheap sets and if going for a trangia I would definitely go for the swedish mess set.
:D Stainless steel eventually! :D

flibb

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2005
Kent
oo0102_primus.jpg

I have a primus ombufuel stove, burns everything including diesel, petrol, coleman fuel and also takes gas canisters (the ones with the screw connector). Cost around £100, is haeavier than other stoves, but is very solid and coems wit h a small tool kit to keep it clean.

In the past I did find blowtorch gas to be cheaper than the stuff sold in camping shops, cannister is long and thin, hasa screw connector and a butane/propane liquid inside. Probably wouldnt be suitable for extremly cold weather as the mix wouldnt be the same as camping grade, but for UK its fine.

Omega

Jul 11, 2004
UK
Thank you, guys,

I missed sale of meths in Lidl, well, nevermind. Any suggestions where I could buy them cheap on the net? Should I buy it separately or with all the utensils? And I looked at Swedish army meths - they look quite compact and neat. I think the cheapest price on the web for Swedish army meths is here http://www.militarymart.co.uk/shop/index.php?cat_id=43&catname='Mess%20Kit' Do you think it has enough utensils for camping for 2 people (2-3 days) or 3 people (1 day maximum)?
Yes, I reminded - I was suggested never buy hexy stoves. Are they really slow burners in comparison with meths stoves?

Regards,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE