Sub-£100 2 person tent recommendations please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
I have decided to give up on the purist fancy of tarp and bivvy bag and go for a tent the next time I am out. I expect this has been covered before but I can't find it in recent posts so anyway, I am looking for recommendations for a suitable tent, say 2 berth so enough room for me to spread out but take someone else some times too, fairly small/light pack, porch useful for boots, and a reasonable price. The Vango Tempest on Go Outdoors has good reviews; any others out there worth considering? The Vango Banshee is another one but the reviews are less positive, especially for taller people and it has no porch.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I got a Vango Halo 300 ( 3 person ) for under a ton, and the Halo 200 ( 2 person ) is available too. Not the lightest ( or the heaviest either ) tent around, but robust, almost freestanding and simple to erect.

Cheers, Michael.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
vango tornado 200 about £99 if you shop about

vango-typhoon-200-pine.jpg

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
Thanks all. It seems my initial idea of a Vango is not bad then as a choice of make. Coleman also have a range of small, cheapish tents too - are they any good generally as a brand?
Shewie - it is not likely to see extreme conditions but could get a soaking now and again.
ged - yes, I think I will hang on to my tarp. It's a nice big 3x3m DD so with a tent to get out of the weather and hopefully get reasonable sleep plus a tarp to get out of the tent but still stay dry and at least stand up if it is chucking it down, I agree that it should indeed be the best of both worlds. I will probably just flog off my army bivvy bag as that is the faff I have had enough of. Cheers all.

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
For me (6'1ish), Vango Banshee 200 is a 1+kit - the 300 would be right for two. Lower profile for stealth camping than the Tornado, but I do like the look of that MD.

Apr 27, 2010
somerset uk
i changed to a colman cobra this year, fairly happy with it (& i can be picky) head room a bit low although this helps keep warmth down, nice and light quick to put up ether fly first or not, one thing i didnt notice before buying is although iner has zip door ether side the fly dose not this gives access to the other vestable and in honesty probably helps keep water out when sticking it to the wind, very happy with the limpet like quality s in dartmoor winds. unsure, but seams to condensate on fly material, might be me.
regards
tony

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
Just been up to Go Outdoors in Basingstoke and (as usual whenever I want something specific) they had little on display and even less in stock. They just had a Banshee 300 set up and one 200 and some 300's in stock but all in red; I want green. No Tempest 200, which I really wanted to compare it with.
Impressed by the low pack size and weight of the Banshee 200 I more or less decided to go for that and order online. Guess what? The add to basket icon is dimmed; so much for that idea. Maybe fate is telling me just to order the Banshee 300. It is nice and roomy (I will probably be on my own in it most of the time) but the pack is that much bigger.
Decisions, decisions...

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
Hmm. Interesting. The Coleman Cobra 2 has very good reviews elsewhwere too. It also has extra length compared to the Vangos, is only 2kg and can be had for around £50. The HH is not as high as the Vangos (3000 vs 5000 / groundsheet same though) bit nobody says it leaks and with a Scot recommending it, I guess it must be pretty weather proof!
You might just have saved me a few quid there fella; many thanks. I'll be looking closely at that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE