Stupid question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adamm

Feb 27, 2005
Burderop, Wilts
I've just bought a Lapp Puukko from kellam.co.uk. It doesn't produce much of a spark with my Magfire fero rod. The top part of the blade is still black so do I need to clean it up to get a spark?

Adamm said:
I've just bought a Lapp Puukko from kellam.co.uk. It doesn't produce much of a spark with my Magfire fero rod. The top part of the blade is still black so do I need to clean it up to get a spark?
It's not do much cleaning it up, as making sure it's nice and flat with good sharp angles on the corners. Doing this will have the effect of cleaning it as well and then you should get good sparks.

Assuming it's a carbon steel blade anyway. Stainless will still give sparks, but some are better than others and I'm not sure what the steel on the Puuko is.

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
Yes, also try touching the spine of the knife up on a stone or sharpener. Also try getting a spark by holding the knife with the blade upwards so you are using the other edge of the angle (easier to do than describe)

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Only time I've seen really good sparks from one of these knives was when a very old Swedish guy did it....and he used the blade edge rather than the spine...maybe try that, if it doesn't work on the edge then the spine's not going to either ;)

Bam. :D

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
I have a similar problem. I filed the spine and followed all the usual suggestions and the volume of sparks is very poor. I wondered if it was my technique but although the quantity of sparks can vary depending which knife I use, the Pukko is consistently poor. Otherwise it's a cracking little knife and the firesteel problem is easily overcome by carrying a broken piece of hacksaw blade. Now that DOES produce a huge shower of sparks......

Adamm

Feb 27, 2005
Burderop, Wilts
I've cleaned up the grind to a full scandi but I've put a small bevel on it as I'm worried about the extreme angle.... or am I wrong?

Thanks for the help with the firesteel thing. My old Opinel gives a spectacular shower of sparks.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Adamm said:

"Stupid Question".

No genuine question is stupid. :p

It's the only way we learn what we want to know.
Other folks don't know what we don't know,so we we have to ask. :)

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Adamm said:

Is it laminated or differentially tempered?

Sometimes, the backs of blades are a bit soft. The cure can vary.

Differential temper, I have only overcome by using the sharp edge, or the back at the very tip.

Laminated, I have found that filing off the back, near the hilt, at 45 degrees to the blade flat can expose the hard central edge steel, giving better sparks.

HTH,

Jim.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE