stove boil times

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 7, 2010
East kent
TO all you ikea/hobo/wood gas stove users
Could you give me some boil times from lighting the stove to rolling boil
with half Lt water.with fuel gathered on same day
So i can compare the efficiency of my stove
in the field conditions.

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
I can get a 3min boil time with a wood gas stove for 250ml of water

In the field with a hobo stove my boil times are around 8mins for 500ml of water

In the the field with an MSR Pocket Rocket I get a boil time of between 1-2mins with 500ml of water

Hope this helps!

What are your own boil times like?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I can get a 3min boil time with a wood gas stove for 250ml of water

In the field with a hobo stove my boil times are around 8mins for 500ml of water

In the the field with an MSR Pocket Rocket I get a boil time of between 1-2mins with 500ml of water

Hope this helps!

What are your own boil times like?

3 minutes for 1000mls with an ETA pot and Nova stove but with wood fires does it matter all that much as you are using fuel thats around you and not carrying liquid fuel?

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
3 minutes for 1000mls with an ETA pot and Nova stove but with wood fires does it matter all that much as you are using fuel thats around you and not carrying liquid fuel?

Sorry Rik I don't quite get your question haha...do you mean does it matter what boil times you get because wood differ from place to place and could effect your boil times?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Sorry mate, I do boil time tests on proper stoves because I'm a sad git and have lot of them.

With wood stoves though so long as you have a supply to hand is the boil time that important is what I meant? its not like your carrying extra paraffin.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
It just so happens that I timed a boil today with my new Kelly Kettle (Thanks Lurch)...

Filled with two and three quarter pints of cold tap water I put one strikeable fire lighter in (2x2x7cm of compressed sawdust impregnated with paraffin wax) and lit it. With the top on I dropped in dry oak leaves one at a time – lighting to a rolling boil in 8 minutes 2 seconds!

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
In my opinion you cant say an exact rolling boil time - only rough!
There are a lot biological factors to consider:

• different wood (dry, wet, type, etc.)
  • temp. of the water (when start)
  • wind factor (wind direction, windpower, etc.)
  • different billy cans (diff. metalls, sizes, Airflow between can and cooker, etc.)
  • and so on......

roughly I would say, that my cooker will need between 6 and 10min. from start to rolling boil. (Ikea Hobo stove).
With my gascooker (Primus) I have a rolling boil in approx. 5 to 8min.
The trangia also have approx 5 to 8min. for 500ml of water.
With my Esbit cooker and the fuel tablets I have times between 8 and 15min.

But one thing I´d like to say:
In the bush (anywhere outdoors) I dont have any hurry - as you can see above: there are only a few minutes different from one cooking system to the other - and yes I have tose few minutes spare in every situation.

As Ray Mears said in one of his videos:
Things are cooked when they are done!

The whole life is controlled by hurry and time - and when I´m out in the bush I dont have this "panic" that everything should be finished as fast as possible!
Enjoy your stay, your calmness, the quiet and the fact, that 500ml of water didnt have to boil up in seconds......

cheers
Mike

I think boil time is really an indication used by the light weight guys for effeciency of fuel use also they stop at boil and insulate to cook on so saveing fuel cos you have to carry it etc
but its a fixation we seem to have picked up and really dosnt compare easily across different types etc and with teh massive variability on a wood type burner in fuel its fairly impossible
i try and get it set up so it burns clean and pretty much smoke free when running then its effecient for its situation

that said i still want to try boil times :eek::rolleyes: on my Hobo for its various fuel options ie Gas, Penny stove Meths, Trangia Meths, Hexi block, wood.

just yhe Geek in me I guess as I hate Hexi and never carry meths :rolleyes: plus Gas is always quick:D
plus i cook on mine not just brew and reheat etc so life after boil point is important really dont fancy doing Pizza on Hexi :eek:

ATB

Duncan

Mar 7, 2010
East kent
Excellent response
only needed a comparison to see if my stove was worth carrying the weight and it seems
it is
boil time 7 / 9 min from lighting in cold condition ( very happy )
Time for full english and a cuppa

andy r

Tenderfoot
Apr 13, 2010
Torquay
I've always stuck with Jetboils for brewing up, but they do become inefficient when the gas canister gets low, the best I've had is 3 mins 20 seconds for a litre, but as mentioned earlier whats the rush !! Which is why a mate of mine swears by the £10 garden center specials

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
14.5 mins for 22 pints in this baby

Boiler.jpg

and I wasn't even trying! :naughty:

ATB

Tom

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Long boil times mean you have a longer tea break. I'm all for them!

My Bushbuddy usually gets me a pint of tea in 10 minutes - even in the snow. My white box stove can do it quicker - 6 minutes-ish.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE