Stove advice please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Has anyone tried a pot or frying pan with the Jetboil burners?

If it only boils water i can live with that most the time, but it'd be nice to be able to throw in a pan and cook something else, like beans.

I've not used the Jetboil frying pan but I have used a simple ally one with the pot support, no problem there. I have a feeling they'll probably tell you you should have used a different pot (i.e one without the exchanger) for your beans.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
http://www.primus.eu/templates/pages/3_cols_white_middle.aspx?SectionId=5888

http://www.primus.eu/templates/pages/3_cols_white_middle.aspx?SectionId=5888

one of them 2 would be my choice mate

the eta express will boil faster than the jetboil youtube ftw

also has a frying pan built in its small yes but to cock a egg or a bit of bacon works well

the pack light is a great stove to cook in and boil water very fast is just wider rather than tall

comes with a nice wind shield also and as the gas canister is external to the stove you can keep it warm easier in colder temps

Sounds great, unfortunately the links just take me to the primus main web page.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120713429...WAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648#ht_997wt_952

http://www.southwestsurvivalequipme...ing/stoves/web-tex-warrior-compact-stove.html

i have just got both and very good combo, just needs a wind shield when windy....:)

also with the right pot stand you can use a meths burner, i used some wire cooling wrack to make one and it works fine with my home made meths open burner...

the price is ok and the pan can be used on a fire gas burner meths, anything really, just make sure it does not boil dry being ally it could melt (the pot that is, i think the fins are steel)...and it all fits inside the pot, and room for brew kit too....;)

hope this helps.

chris.

They both look like fantastic VFM thanks Chris.

If you look on jetboils website it states that they offer a 1 year warranty. Returns are either directly to jet boil in the US. Or via a distributor in the country you bought from.

Say your in Greece but you bought the stove via the net from a Uk store. Then the UK distributor is Burton Mc call. I'd be speaking with them.

A lot of warranty type issue are often dealt with by the local distributor. I deal with the NZ distributor of leatherman a lot as mine keep falling to bits I don't deal with leatherman directly.

I'd see how far you get with the local distributor.

Good to know thanks.
I sent Jetboil a stern reply with a few options so i'll see what they say first, if not the seller has to be worth a **** thanks.

Sorry to hear how this turned out for you Mark. You took so much care in selecting the jetboil it seems unfair to be in this situation. I really hope they come through fr you to fix it. I dont think beans is low in moisture either. Given the short timescale since purchase I would deal with the shop rather than jetboil. It would be normal for the shop to rectify any issues up to a period of three months from purchase. If the instructions state no low moisture food, my interpretation is you have not used it outside stated parameters. Speak to the retailer first.

Good Luck

Aye it is annoying as i do try and research something before buying.
Crap thing is i did read the reports of the heat exchangers melting and thought to myself it was just a bad workman blaming his tools :rolleyes:

As i said above i'll see what Jetboil come back with as a reply first, if not it's got to be worth a shot though thanks.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with the maker, hope you get it sorted.

I can't help with question number 1 but my answer to your question 2 would be something like the Optimus Nova or Primus Omnifuel and maybe a pot with a heat exchanger if you want to speed up boil times. They'll never be as fast as the Jetboil but if you always live life as fast as that I think you might be on the wrong forum. :)

The Optimus can run with a very low power output even without a windshield. The Nova can't burn gas but the Omnifuel can. The new model of the Nova had some quality issues associated with moving manufacturing to China, I don't know if that's all been resolved. I have the old Nova (the wife has one too) and it's about the best all-rounder for me. I like the old Optimus Hiker, my 111B has a rather more powerful burner than the Nova but it can still be turned down fairly low. Apart from the weight and bulk of the Hiker-style stove-in-a-box with a hinged lid, the main problem is that if the lid doesn't fold flat (it doesn't on my 111B) then a big pan like a frying pan won't fit centrally over the burner. If I'm not going to fry something and if space and weight aren't problems I'll usually take the 111B in preference to the Nova. But it's not often I only take one stove anywhere. :)

There are a few Chinese-made stoves similar to the Primus and Optimus (but a lot cheaper) and they've had a few good reviews but I've very little personal experience. One I watched in use recently seemed to put out quite a bit more heat than the Nova, enough to destroy the non-stick coating on my frying pan in a matter of minutes. :(

Thanks Ged.
Really kicking myself as i was VERY close to buying the Primus kit instead of the Jetboil and now i've had 4 recommendations of the kit today.
The Jetboil just seemed to all pack together better, it's looking the Primus kit is a better option now though.

I've not used the Jetboil frying pan but I have used a simple ally one with the pot support, no problem there. I have a feeling they'll probably tell you you should have used a different pot (i.e one without the exchanger) for your beans.

Thanks Shewie, so with the Jetboil burner and a ally frying pan you were able to maintain a simmer?

Fantastic advice guys, thanks again.

I'll see if Jetboil do the right thing first, i did give them a few options.
It's not ideal but if they do me right i'll just keep the Jetboil 100% for boiling water.

I still have the Vargo Triad meths burner, so push come to shove i will just take that out with one of my mugs.
Gotta say though after having the Jetboil for a few weeks i REALLY like the no fuss of the gas canister.

Not only is it easier than faffing about priming the meths burner and getting it bloom, it's also a LOT safer as for 7 months of the year here the ground is tinder dry, a bad day and bad choice of cooking spot together with the smallest meths spill could take a whole area down.

I used to have a Coleman stove and found that a bit of a nightmare priming and getting started.
It's no problem at night when you've struck camp, but if you want to just stop mid hike and slap on a quick brew i found i just didn't bother with both the meths burner and Coleman as i just couldn't be bothered in setting it all up and priming it, quick brew stops became the norm with the Jetboil though.

Plus i don't have to pay for my gas canisters, so if i can find a gas canister stove that will easily simmer that'd be perfect.

Right now the Primus kit is looking good, but i've had 2 recommendations on that ebay pot Chris linked to now, so for the price i might try that with the Jetboil burner first.

As per usual though, great advice guys thank you.

Cheers
Mark

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thanks Shewie, so with the Jetboil burner and a ally frying pan you were able to maintain a simmer?

Fantastic advice guys, thanks again.

I'll see if Jetboil do the right thing first, i did give them a few options.
It's not ideal but if they do me right i'll just keep the Jetboil 100% for boiling water.

I still have the Vargo Triad meths burner, so push come to shove i will just take that out with one of my mugs.
Gotta say though after having the Jetboil for a few weeks i REALLY like the no fuss of the gas canister.

Not only is it easier than faffing about priming the meths burner and getting it bloom, it's also a LOT safer as for 7 months of the year here the ground is tinder dry, a bad day and bad choice of cooking spot together with the smallest meths spill could take a whole area down.

I used to have a Coleman stove and found that a bit of a nightmare priming and getting started.
It's no problem at night when you've struck camp, but if you want to just stop mid hike and slap on a quick brew i found i just didn't bother with both the meths burner and Coleman as i just couldn't be bothered in setting it all up and priming it, quick brew stops became the norm with the Jetboil though.

Plus i don't have to pay for my gas canisters, so if i can find a gas canister stove that will easily simmer that'd be perfect.

Right now the Primus kit is looking good, but i've had 2 recommendations on that ebay pot Chris linked to now, so for the price i might try that with the Jetboil burner first.

As per usual though, great advice guys thank you.

Cheers
Mark

I used an MSR Blacklite frying pan on mine and it was fine on a lower heat.

I suspect the fins didn't like the heat in the bottom of the pot with the beans in, the ti mug and the actual stove head will chug away all day before they melt.

Hopefully JB will give you a new pot and you can carry on, saving the JB pot for boiling water and carry the pot support and another pan for simmering. You could get something just slightly bigger than the JB package and slot it over the top.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE