storage for matches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lee_shanahan

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2007
South Wales
I just curious to know if there any websites that sell match container to store my matches and prevent them getting wet when out doing a spot of bushcraft. I tried making some out shoutgun cartridges that i found in a feild, but when i tried to get the metal caps off i accidently burt them, so now i'm looking for an alterative way of storing my matches.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
35mm film pots, as cheap as chips, work perfectly and if I breaks you won't need a loan to replace. You could of course use any small container with a good fitting lid that you can pack a few matches into that suits your expectations. If you are relying entirely on matches, spread them out throughout your gear - packets, pack etc just in case one lot gets wet/lost etc.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Lee_shanahan

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2007
South Wales
great idea, i found shotgun cartridges hard to come across but i got a few film cartridges hanging round. i tend to just have enough matches on me incase of an emergancy or if i loose my firesteel. i read that if you dip the matches in molten wax, when its dried it will create a waterproof seal over the match so for extra measures i have coated my matches.

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
I must admit I am not a great fan of matches and find that in most circumstances a simple BIC lighter is more reliable.

The reason I say this is that a few years ago, I went through the process of coating some "strike anywhere" type matches with candle wax and then storing them in a 35mm film container...I did several such containers and had the them squirreled away in my bergan & webbing ect..

About 18 months later, when I actually came to need to use these matches, none worked...despite the wax coating, they all behaved just like they were damp ie the head came off/disintergrated as they were struck...

I've no idea why this happened, but ever since I have used other means of lighting fires..

Brocktor

Banned
Jul 25, 2006
uk
i tried making shotgun shell match box, but the metal cap did not fit tightly. i guess it would only be waterproof if i sealed it and that doesnt suit me.

so now i just use bags

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Hi Lee
you might find this thread interesting

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=19294

Chas
Lee_shanahan said:
I just curious to know if there any websites that sell match container to store my matches and prevent them getting wet when out doing a spot of bushcraft. I tried making some out shoutgun cartridges that i found in a feild, but when i tried to get the metal caps off i accidently burt them, so now i'm looking for an alterative way of storing my matches.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I have found that the wax tends to stick to the chemical end of the match and pull it off when you strike it.
Matches seem to have been the preferred firlighting method of outdoorsmen for a long time - lighting a fire with one match seems to be a very important skill.

Lee_shanahan

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2007
South Wales
I decided to coat my matches the other day in wax and when i tried to light them i found it very diffucult to ignite. so i might just stick to my good old zippo, and have some matches on me just incase.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Lee_shanahan said:
I decided to coat my matches the other day in wax and when i tried to light them i found it very diffucult to ignite. so i might just stick to my good old zippo, and have some matches on me just incase.

Try clear nail varnish...don't ask me how I know this. :eek:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Lee_shanahan said:

I've found shellac to be very effective.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Hoodoo said:
I've found shellac to be very effective.

V similar to nail varnish. I guessing that anything that dries hard and water proof would be useful but, do you shellac/varnish the whole match, or just the head? If the match body becomes wet, does that ruin the head too?

Sounds an odd questions to ask but I've always managed to keep my matches dry, whatever way I've treated them.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Mikey P said:
V similar to nail varnish. I guessing that anything that dries hard and water proof would be useful but, do you shellac/varnish the whole match, or just the head? If the match body becomes wet, does that ruin the head too?

Sounds an odd questions to ask but I've always managed to keep my matches dry, whatever way I've treated them.

Mikey,

I would think it best practice to coat the whole match as wood wicks water and eventually over time moisture will seep up and ruin the match head.

Matt.

Tipi

Jun 14, 2006
Wondering Wizard, UK
i just poke my matches in to some vaseline, makes them water proof and u dont have to scrape it off like wax or nail varnish. i have had grat successes with shot gun shells, the trick is to find a macching pair then they fit together really snug.
sorry to annoy any one who has had any problems with them!
tp

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
I also got a container made of 2 identical shotgun shells. Works great. I don't bother waterproofing them, though I guess if I'd do some serious wilderness traveling I would... Always carry a lighter, firesteel and matches. I put reserve matches in film cans in my backpack. I'm interested in getting a good zippo or other kind of lighter, because I can use it as oillamp and as firestarter..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE