'sticky' handles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I have just finished another couple of knives and have a problem with the handles feeling sticky.

The handle is mahogony and finished with Danish Oil.

I have used danish oil before but this time I added more layers until no more would soak in and the surface is v shiny but has a sticky feel to it!? On a previous knife i had a similar thin but with some good 'buffing' it dissapeared however i have been rubbing it with a soft cloth for almost an hour now an it is still slightly tacky....

Any sugestions for removing the stickyness???

What do you use? - have you used Danish oil and encountered the same problem?

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i normaly soak in danish oil for 24 hours then lift out and wipe off the excess.. i have never had the problem your describing.. perhaps if you add a layer and allow it to dry then add another layer it wont be soaked up due to the first layer having made an impermiable(sp) layer.. do you think that could be the case?

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I think TT is right.

With boiled linseed oil the instructions say to "remove excess oil" or the next lot won't sink in "and you will be left with a sticky surface."

Rubbing up with very fine steel wool between soaks is recommended.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
cheers guys, it was pretty soaked in between each coat i think - perhaps i'll try a lihght sanding and then a wipe over and buff off!

not sure if its the same for danish oil, but when you use varnish/shellac/sanding seal etc the following happens. As the surface is covered in a fine layer of dust particles from sanding it and the general workshop atmosphere, when the sealant is applied, they go from lying down to standing up, causing a rough tacky feel. This be removed with a light sand with naffest piece of sand paper you can find so as not to scratch it, then some more coats.

woodwalker

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
for info - a good sanding then a quick wipe over with more oil which was then wiped off while still wet and polished wityh a soft cloth seemed to do the trick!

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Yes, Danish oil smells a bit. I had the same sticky situation with my old Opinel's but I got over it by giving them a light sanding with a 3m Scotchbrite pad. I don't use Opinel's anymore though, but there was a time when I was literally in love with them. I've heard that the New York Museum of Modern Art has an Opinel "au carbon" displayed under the 100 Most Beautiful Objects in the World section. (The Astronaut pen is in there too, I think.)

Adam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE