Stewart Marsh knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
In Shooting Sports this month is an article about this knife maker.
The Bushcraft is very similar to another well known hand made knife ;) in design and construction (01 tool steel) but better (according to the retailer) :) and a lot cheaper.
They do three styles of knife from this maker, but the bushcraft would be of most interest I would think.
The retailer (very helpfull when I emailed him) tells me that Stewart is suffering from illness atm so slightly longer lead times are expected for the near future but hopes production will pick up in due course.

I especially like the Ivory Micarta handle...

See what you think http://www.highseats.co.uk/handmade_knives.htm

Cheers

Mark

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
There have been a couple of threads about his knives on here and over on BB.... general concensus seems to be that they are good knives.
I believe he is a member here ;)

:)
Ed

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
It would be interesting to do a back to back comparison with a Woodlore I think.
Anyone have a Marsh Bushcraft they can loan me for the test - or maybe longer if I like it.... :D

Cheers

Mark

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
One went for quite a lot on ebay recently. There are a few people on BB with one if you put up a wanted post.

A

Andrzej

I've got one on order. Hopefully I'll get it for my trip in August to give it a good test. If not then the Mora I've been practicing with will have to do

leon-1

I was looking at the one that moduser has this weekend just gone, there were a couple of things that he didn't like about it, so he got in touch with Stuart Marsh and he has said that he will change it for him.

I cant see the WS knife being modified if you got in touch with them.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Am I right in thinking the WS one is machine made and hand finished though?
Would this one not compare with the AW Woodlore instead?

Cheers

Mark

leon-1

Yep, but I didn't want to make the comparison :D

It is a good solid knife and I would think about buying one of them before I thought of one of AW's.

The fact that he is also willing to make modifications to it once he has sold it is an added bonus IMO.
The sheath is good quality as well.

I don't use one all the time, so it would be better to ask moduser how he likes it and what the quality of the steel is like along with edge retention and the like, but my initial impression of it was very good :cool:

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
:eek: Ah I see, tack full as ever. Perhaps I ought to backpedal a bit :eek:
Still, wonder if moduser's going to the meet... :confused:

Cheers

Mark

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Hi guys,

I am hoping to attend the meet. It does clash with an archery shoot I'm already booked into but the more I think about it, well there are shoots on most weekends and only so many meets.

Re the SM knife my only complaint was that on my knife the point of the blade is very short and thick, more so than in the pictures on the distributors website. This makes it awkward to for doing fine work when cutting slots and holes in a piece of work.

Other than that I'm happy with it. Comfortable in the hand, nice piece of steel that is thick enough that I have no concerns when batoning etc and it holds an edge very well and also has a good waterformed sheath. I don't think I could justify the cost for a AW (not being a knife fetishist - I have other fetishes but that's a different story and a different forum :D ) however I'm happy with the price/quality of the blade.

jwmagee

Oct 10, 2004
Hayling Island
I've purchased one of Stewarts bushcraft knives, I think it's superb, very well made and Stewart is very helpful in offering various materials and advice etc. I would highly recommend this knife, particularily at the price.

John

riddleofsteel

Tenderfoot
Jun 29, 2005
above ground
I have it on pretty good authority that Stewart may be offering his knives by direct sales only before long (E-bay). Look for prices to go up then. If you want one get it soon. I have one on the way now and will be reporting on it later.

Cheers

riddleofsteel

Tenderfoot
Jun 29, 2005
above ground
I got a Stewart Marsh Bushcrafter in the post today. Excellent service I must say. It was shipped from High Seats in the UK last Monday, today it arrives in North Carolina, USA. Still amazes me how quick mail service is considering the distance.
The cream colored ivory Micarta handle is stunning. Several folks I showed it to had to look twice to tell is wasn't real ivory! Excellent grain and shaping, the handle welds to your hand in ANY posistion.
You can tell it is not a production knife. Little mistakes here and there but nothing that will stand out after a couple of trips to the bush and a few sharpenings. Several small dents in the tang portion of the bar stock drew my attention.
The grind is a little off center to the bar stock and the transistion between the ground and unground portion of the knife is rough/hurried.
This is a very ROUBUST knife. Holding it the word tool comes to mind. It is built like a tank the spine of the blade is thick almost all the way to the tip. I have no doubt it will stand the test of bushcrafting in the Southeast US.
I tried shaving with it when I pulled it out of the sheath. Only one portion of the blade would pop hair. This will no doubt change on the flatbed hone. However, when applied to paper it engaged the paper edge and sliced cleanly, without drag, the full length of the blade. It seemed to be just sharp enough to cut wood but not thin edged enough to dull fast at heavy work.
When I got it home I made a few eazy fuzz sticks from limbs in the yard. Then I drilled a hole in a piece of willow and carved a hearth board in just a few minutes. Not much of a test so far but it was superbly comfortable and easy to control. I have to say I am not sold on the zero grind. Most of my knives are convex.
We shall see. My Bark River Northstar and Fallkniven A1 better look out, it may be on the way to becoming my favorite woods bumming knife.

Cheers

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Just thought I'd give everyone an update on my SM.

Just a quick recap, I love the knife but I personally wanted a more defined point.

I posted the knife back to Stewart on Saturday and recieved it back today.

The point has been reground and looks exactly what I wanted. Nicely formed but without being too pointed (thus not a possible point of weakness).

Not only that but the blade has been sharpened and the handle and sheath oiled.

Fantastic service. Linda who is responsible for the admin e-mailed me at every stage confirming delivery, work status and posting back to me.

Owning this knife just gets better and better :D :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE