Spyderco BCUK Bushcrafter REDUCED

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
im sure its a very capable knife, but TBH it just doesnt do it for me, its reduced for a reason, its damaged goods. id far rather get an Enzo trapper for that kind of money, but then again thats me.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
It might not be the HT it could just as easily be a flaw in the steel.
As a side note, it's the most comfortable knife to hold that I've ever seen (and I've seen and used many, many knives from many proficient makers)
It should be remembered that these knives are seconds only because the scales cracked, and that the blades were produced to the normal high standards of the Spyderco factory.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
that hole could prove a weakpoint.

The lightening hole in the tang is certainly not in the best place. The spydie hole though, won't affect anything, just in case folks were thinking about THAT hole.

No idea why the guy was batonning the handle side of the knife though, and through that particular lump of wood. I certainly wouldn't even with a mora or tatting around blade. That's just asking for trouble, and I've seen far worse broken knives on here and BB by people trying to baton the handle.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
Let me guess, it's the handle right? :D

the handle shape overall is comfortable, my problem is the fact that the knife is a damaged product, i wouldnt buy a broken knife, even if it is repairable. its expensive for what it is, mass turned out bit of O1 with a couple of poorly stabilised scales and a distasteful sheath. any day id rather stick with my enzo trapper, its a comparable product at a similar price and to me its a better option, tried and tested.

The spyderco seems to be the new Guchi bit of kit, what with all the hype put out over it its no wonder its selling, your not in the club unless you have a spyderco eh.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The spyderco seems to be the new Guchi bit of kit, what with all the hype put out over it its no wonder its selling, your not in the club unless you have a spyderco eh.

Odd thing to say. I think most people on here are beyond that. You've attacked the knife from the day it was released, and now you are starting on the buyers. Are you developing an inverted snobbery? It's a bit of kit that the folks on here are fully capable of turning into a top bit of kit at a bargain price. It's not broken, except that one in the link :lmao: There are many knives I'm not keen on, I don't keep on banging on about it though, in fact, what doesn't work for me is usually the lack of skill I have in adapting to that shape or design, not the knifes fault. Many people can take a design and work wonders with it. Stick to whats good for you, but don't continually attack the design that doesn't, or mock the people that it does work for.

Last edited:

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
Odd thing to say. I think most people on here are beyond that. You've attacked the knife from the day it was released, and now you are starting on the buyers. Are you developing an inverted snobbery? It's a bit of kit that the folks on here are fully capable of turning into a top bit of kit at a bargain price. It's not broken, except that one in the link :lmao: There are many knives I'm not keen on, I don't keep on banging on about it though, in fact, what doesn't work for me is usually the lack of skill I have in adapting to that shape or design, not the knifes fault. Many people can take a design and work wonders with it. Stick to whats good for you, but don't continually attack the design that doesn't, or mock the people that it does work for.

sorry if it came across that way, no im not mocking the buyers, its theyre choice entirely.
its just not for me and personaly think its a bit of a craze at the moment, but thats my opinion. if it works for you then i cant argue with that, sorry if i came across a bit uptight, not my intention.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
sorry if it came across that way, no im not mocking the buyers, its theyre choice entirely.
its just not for me and personaly think its a bit of a craze at the moment, but thats my opinion. if it works for you then i cant argue with that, sorry if i came across a bit uptight, not my intention.

It's not a craze, you're mistaking an interest in a bargain that will only be for a limited time for 'the latest thing or must have item'. The knife is not perfect for me either, but it is a very nice knife regardless and I was very impressed by it recently as it exceeded expectations. The scales are an easy fix. the only reason you have these influx of posts on the knife at the mo, is just because people want to get it before it sells out, which will be soon. On top of that, it is the only thing close to a BCUK knife we have ever had, and we love this forum and want to have a cool item of kit associated with it.

Remember we all do different things and can have differing abilities with tools, be they the same or different. You'd have a fit if I gave you my knife in my sig below to work with, but I can do everything with it, and do it well. I don't expect anyone else to be able to like or work with it as it was designed for me. I can't use a Mora well, does'nt work for me, but as we see on this and other forums, it works for 99.9% of the rest. same goes for the F1, Helle, Woodlore, Spyderco, Khukri etc...

Last edited:

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I've been waiting to lay my hands on this knife ever since I saw a prototype at the first ever moot I went to, and that was five or six years ago.
It's been a long time coming, and I'm happy with what I have.
As to the breaking, show me a commercial maker who hasn't had a blade failure.
Have a trawl through Blade Forums and you'll find plenty of them, from many prominent makers.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
the handle shape overall is comfortable...

i can tell that i wouldnt find the handle confortable by the pics...

Make your mind up Josh. Your posts are reading like you are just looking for reasons to have a go at this knife.

As many people have said, it's a great design, it's extremely comfortable, one of the best I've ever handled. With regard to the steel, well it's just carbon steel. Heat it up, check with a magnet and dunk in oil. That's all anybody does. It's not rocket science. Carbon steel is the easiest to heat treat, no special equipment required, it's forgiving and hard to get wrong, hence it being used by most beginners. The skeleton handle will technically reduce strength, but it's all relative. It's still 4mm thick tool steel, it aint balsa wood. You should still be able to stand on it and do all the things you would ever want to do with a knife. Yes, the scales are damaged, we all know that. That's why they are cheap. But the damage varies and in most cases, it seems a little superglue to fill the superficial cracks and it's good to go. Worst case, put a new handle on it. No big deal. The sheath isnt pretty, but it's solid and functional. It's going to hold the knife safely and securely, it does what it says on the tin.

It's a shame that there have been problems with this knife, it's a fantastic design. But on the other hand, the cracked handle issue does mean that a lot of people have managed to get their hands on a serviceable knife for cheap. If you are aware of the issues and are happy with that, what's the problem?

Last edited:

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
:lmao:

it's a rare day that i agree with everything martyn puts in a post! goodjob

and to be a little nit picky, if anything martyn's understated part of the case. you'd have to take a lot, loads more steel out of the handle to have any really significant reduction in strength.

cheers, and.

Last edited:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I usually stay out of this sort of conversation, especially when i’m involved in it at a core level, it being a bcuk/spyderco knife.

The way i see it is the same as i see most things; some people will love it and some will hate it, some will want to like it and some will want to hate it, for some it will be because it’s to do with bushcraft uk and some spyderco, other price etc etc, there’s loads of reasons for all the emotions that seem to go along with knives.

The bottom line though is that some of the handles have shrunk, it’s irrelevant if they should or should not have shrunk, in that situation what’s relevant is what the manufacturer does about it and nearly everyone seems very happy with Spyderco for their efforts to do what’s right, again, people will always find fault if they want to, but in the light of day few people have found fault with the manufacturer and their customer service and I take my hat of f to them for that.

Many people find the handle very comfortable, the weight good and the handling excellent and some don’t, so what, we all know that there’s no knife that fits all. Some people don’t see a small crack as an issue, I personally would not but i’m comfortable working with wood and maybe that makes it easier for me to accept. There’s also the fact that in our climate we’re going to get a lot less issue than where Spyderco are situated in a very dry part of the US compared to here, some of the cracks will close up naturally.

It is a knife that can be used and used well and hard and it will not disappoint as no one is being hoodwinked in any way, people know what they’re getting. As has been said, it’s strong, robust, capable, comfortable and for many a great price. The fact it’s got a skeletonised handle, and a hole in the blade do not effect it’s functionality when it comes to working with it, if anything it will be les fatiguing due to the weight advantage over comparable knives, but again, that’s an opinion. Sometimes knives break, I’ve broken a quite a few knives over the years, mostly my own fault for being daft but they still broke, I’ve sent a leatherman back for repair, and backpacks, and clothing, and cars and, and and it goes on. Just yesterday members were talking about a maker that took a knife back to replace the shrunken scales on his knife and that was deemed as a quality service, or should we be pointing out that the scales shrank and that’s the most significant issue, a faulty knife needed repairing? Again, all down to perspective and how you want to see the situation, how it fits in with what we want to get defensive about or not worry about.

The bcuk/Spyderco knife is a good knife, the hole isn’t a weakness, the steel is good, the design is good, for many the scales are good, the customer service is good, the price is good (especially at the moment) and there’s lots of very happy people, for which i’m glad. We’ll do even better next time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE