Spray-on Waterproofing and then Ironing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Danny1962

Nov 12, 2014
Maidstone, Kent
A few weeks ago I washed a poly/cotton jacket and then treated it with a spray-on waterproofing agent (from an aerosol can which I'd got from Aldi).

Yesterday I was doing my ironing, and decided to tidy the pocket flaps of this jacket as the edges were turning up. So I ironed them flat. The spray-on stuff I used has a flammable solvent but that would have evaporated long ago, so I had no concerns from a H&S perspective.

Today, in light drizzle, I wore the jacket.

I noticed that the fabric I'd ironed was repelling the water differently from the fabric I hadn't ironed. The water droplets were "beading" on the pocket flaps but seemed to be soaking into the rest of the fabric where I'd sprayed but not ironed. This suggests to me that the treatment I'd given the fabric is enhanced by being ironed.

Has anyone else come across this phenomenon? Assuming this wasn't just my imagination, why did it work the way it did?

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Yeah, some waterproof treatments benefit from ironing or tumble drying, don't ask me why/how as I've not got a scoobies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE