Spoons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
H

Heathen

Seeing as carving spoons seem to be a right of passage i had a go at it and was amazed to find that i could carve a pretty good spoon first time (and its useable). Since then i've carved 5 others and am currently carving a Welsh Love Spoon and as soon as im able to i will post all the pics on here. By the way no matter how many people say that pine is easy to carve its a lie lol.

H

Heathen

Hi Jon r, as soon as im able i will post a pic of the love spoon, when i first started carving it i thought it looked a bit naff (the eternal knot didnt look right and the heart was off centre), but after adding some 3d to it, it looks really good. Im going to give it to my wife's cousin as a wedding present i hope he and his wife like it.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Hi Jon r, as soon as im able i will post a pic of the love spoon, when i first started carving it i thought it looked a bit naff (the eternal knot didnt look right and the heart was off centre), but after adding some 3d to it, it looks really good. Im going to give it to my wife's cousin as a wedding present i hope he and his wife like it.

Wow! thats a great idea giving it as a wedding present! From the sounds of things im sure they will love it!

You mentioning love spoons inspired me to look it up propperly on the internet. I found a fantastic website that tels you how to carve a love spoon from start to finish including chains, balland cage etc..

you may have seen it already but heres what ive been looking at:

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...ages?q=welsh+love+spoon&gbv=2&svnum=100&hl=en

Amazing stuff! Go through the different pages to see the full tutorial.

I may try one of these myself although i only have a Frosts Mora! What tools did you use to make your love spoon?

Many thanks!

Jon

H

Heathen

Mornin' Jon,
Beleive it or not i hav'nt got any of those fancy carving knives (or a crook knife).
All i used was my trusty lock knife (sharpened the hell out of, so plenty of cuts) and a small skill knife (the type model makers use) to whittle away the bowl.
and 4 different grades of sand paper (starting with 80 grit and finishing with 1000 grit).

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Nice one! I have a couple of smaller blades on a couple of farmers knives that my grandad gave me. Maybe they would work well for doing this kind of thing.

What knid of wood do you use for carving a love spoon and do you use green wood or seasoned?

Many thanks

Jon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE