Spoons are bending after carving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
I carve a spoon to perfection. Straight as i can get it, but sometimes when it dries it goes bent. If i decide to Oil it in the oven it makes the bend more severe! Why would this be?

The spoons are sycamore, maybe sycamore has this problem?

I dont get it. Please help!:puppy_dog :)

deformed.jpg

bent1.jpg

Many thanks

Jon

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Have to say, I love the wood bending.. Trees are not straight so in my mind, some things made from wood should not be perfect symmetry.....Hmmm is that me saying I cannot carve a symmetrical object, I wonder....
You could try roughing out the item to be carved, then let it dry fully before carving it straight and true, or heat the wood and bend back into the shape you want it...

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
are you splitting your billet of wood to start with? or just setting away from the round?

if you split the wood with an axe or froe, most of the natural tendency to split and twist is dissipated.

I've carved literally hundreds of spoons from all sorts of timber and many of them have twisted regardless! but splitting the billet first seems to limit this.

if, when you split the wood, it has a natural twist to the grain, then your like to get a bit of twisting as the spoon dries out anyway.

kind regards

R.B.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
It's probably because the bit of wood you used had some "pent up" stresses still in it, due to it's original position in the tree.

Let's say an horizontal branch: the stresses on the top of the branch are different from the stresses on the bottom of the branch: tension on the top, compression on the bottom of it

I cut a 4ft plank on the bandsaw the other day and by the time I got near the end of the cut I could stick my finger in the gap at the start of the cut:eek:

Or the tree's spirit decided to play tricks on you.;)

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
the smaller spoon was for my own use so it doesnt matter too much. However the long stiring spoon was to be sold as part of a set for £40 so it needed to right! I just carved another one though and that was fine.

When making a spoon i just get a straight batten of wood with as few knotts in as possible and split it down the middle with my axe. If there are any bends in the grain i just carve the wood straight, when the wood dries i guess it wants to go back again.

Thanks for the advice!

Jon

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
Perhaps I'm completely wrong, but would it work to straighten it like it is done with bent wooden arrow shafts (considering it seems a round handle) ?

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
The bending of the wood is through tangential shrinkage. In all honesty, I'd say don't worry about it. Straight symetrical spoons are boring. If I want a straight symetrical spoon, I'll go to IKEA and pick one up for tuppence that was made on a nice scandinavian mass production machine. If you want to produce consistently straight wooden spoons, then you are going to have to work dry seasoned wood with agressive tools as the wood will have done all the shrinking and twisting it needed to during the drying. The down side will be how tough and hard it has become in the process. Just remember that when you carve a spoon from green wood, it isn't twisting or bending, it's developing character.

Eric

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
If there are any bends in the grain i just carve the wood straight,

Therein lies the problem I think. When green wood dries it has a tendency to warp along the grain. If you've crossed the grain then it will curve accordingly.

Woodturners seem to address this problem by rough cutting and then microwaving - effectively kiln drying on steriods I guess, before finishing.

May 14, 2006
Consett County Durham
I'd just say that Uri Geller popped by and was thinking about getting into BushCraft:D

I can't see anything wrong with naturally dried, handcrafted spoons that have gone a bit runciple. . .adds character.

Kev

Stan Pinn

Sep 16, 2006
Swindon
Your problem is a common one throughout the wood industry. The problem comes from the way the wood grows. As wood grows it creates growth rings which are like elastic. When you cut the wood its like letting a elastic band release from being pulled. The apossing pressures are released and the wood relaxes causing it to twist. The way to get round this is to allow the wood to dry and twist before you carve. Leaving a piece of wood for 6 months in a warm dry place may sound extreme but the results will be much better. Try making some cuts of wood ready to carve allowing for the twist before you carve. Then put it in the airing cuboard for 6 months then start your spoon.
Stan

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Your problem is a common one throughout the wood industry. The problem comes from the way the wood grows. As wood grows it creates growth rings which are like elastic. When you cut the wood its like letting a elastic band release from being pulled. The apossing pressures are released and the wood relaxes causing it to twist. The way to get round this is to allow the wood to dry and twist before you carve. Leaving a piece of wood for 6 months in a warm dry place may sound extreme but the results will be much better. Try making some cuts of wood ready to carve allowing for the twist before you carve. Then put it in the airing cuboard for 6 months then start your spoon.
Stan

That's OK for making decorative spoons, but no good for bushcraft spoons which should be worked green, ideally in the woods, or if not, before the wood dries out.

Eric

Stan Pinn

Sep 16, 2006
Swindon
i think i'll work with green wood still rather thank waiting 6 months! im patient but not that patient!:)

Well your question was how to stop them from bending, its fine to have a spoon that you made in the woods but if you want one to keep and show off your skills then the six months will give the best results. Due to the nature of wood it will always twist when wet.
Stan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE