Spiritual trees

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
My Whippet Lily has recently suffered a stroke and I fear she hasn't long left. She's been falling over and walking in circles, crashing into things around the house, and is very anxious. The vet can't do much for her except he has given us some 'Happy pills' to give her to calm her down and make life a little easier.
My question for the spiritual folks out there is ;- When her time comes which I don't exactly know, but may not be far away. I want to have her cremated and then I want to bury her ashes somewhere suitable and plant a tree over her ashes. I know a few trees and uses but not many spiritual type connections. Can anyone recommend which type of tree would be a good one to plant over my dogs ashes when her time comes. I beleive Ash has some type of mythical staus or meaning in Norse culture but don't know any details. Any advice appreciated - Cheers :)

PS. Can anyone recommend or had experience with a reliable cremation service for pets. I don't want a mass cremation and get back a mixture of ashes from other animals. She's not gone yet, but I want to be prepared. Cheers again.

CamperPete

Oct 2, 2006
Blackpool, Lancs
It's not an easy time when it's time for one of our pets to go, been there many times. Our last dog I had cremated with the other dogs from the vets so as (in my eyes) he could be with others of his kind which he loved to do so much..... ok so I'm a sad git :(

Anyway, It's your decision how you want to rest it peace, a tree sounds like a good idea (wish I'd thought of it).

Have a look at the Celtic Tree Calendar (http://www.joellessacredgrove.com/Celtic/tree.html), you may find one that's fits your needs.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Sorry to hear that Falling Rain.

May I ask why you are considering cremation, rather than burying Lily and then planting a tree above her?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Its an awful thing for you both to be going through.
Im sure what ever you decide will be for the best.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Hi Nick, really sorry to hear your news. :(

When the time comes, I think planting a tree in her name is a really nice idea and one that will provide you will a lasting memory too.

One for the suggestion box would be a yew tree. There is a fair bit of information regarding their "spirital" relationship here: http://www.cvni.org/stories/yew/yew.html

Regarding your comment regarding Ash trees and norse mythology, "The world ash tree" or "Yggdrasil" (yes i had to double check the spelling on that one) is now thought to have been a yew tree I believe. I'm sure someone with a more understanding and knowledge of it all can confirm or deny that though

ATB

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Sorry about your news, I hope her passing is peaceful.

To the Norse the nine Worlds were bound together by the branches of Lærad, a great Ash tree.

Ask (Ash tree), was also the first male human formed by Odin from the trunk of an ash tree found on the shore according to the eddic poem Vosulspa.

Incidentally the first woman was Embla which is is probably derived from Elm.

(This country could use a few more Elms in my opinion.)

I hope that helps.

Nice idea by the way, our dog is at least 12 so I guess we'll have to start thinking about the future too.

bushman762

Forager
May 19, 2005
N.Ireland
My thoughts are with you...
When it came time to have our dog (a lovely Dobermann) put to sleep, I went out and dug her grave before hand, cause I knew what sort of state I'd be in. Then when we returned from the vets we led her to rest, I fancied an Oak to mark her grave, just because I felt it would be around for longer than most! and a pile of stones that I add too when ever I pass that way!

It has been 10 years now I'm sure, and she still is, one of the greatest!

Just inpassing the thing that really annoyed me was the fact that our vet who had all my business got five dogs their jabs and wormers etc over the years and she still charged me to have my best pal put down! I still remember that! It hurt, I'm quite sure that the expense of the injection could have been covered in other ways.

Try putting your hand on Lily, hold it still, closing your eyes and imagine petting her without moving your hand! I think you'll find she will enjoy...you're reaching in at a more spiritual level.

Best Regards,

:)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My Tom cat got feline aids, and the vet insisted that he was put down since he was known to be *promiscuous*. I wept as though I'd lost my best friend. We buried him in the garden where he liked to soak up the sun on his black fur under an old briar rose; and it felt right.

Later in the year I watched a magpie furtively hiding something in the soil above where Tom sleeps; it hopped away, all chuffed and prideful with itself, croaked as much to say, "Hidden, mine, you can't have it!", and then it flew away.

In Spring I realised that two leaves were budding out of a stalk, and then the true leaves showed an Oak.
I went to pull it out (my garden is surrounded by trees, if I left the seedlings I wouldn't be able to get out the doors in a year), but stayed my hand to think where I could move it to. It sprouted vigorously, but that Autumn it was caught by HWMBLT's pruners when he tidied up the roses and I thought, "Ah well, that's it bye then." but come Spring, up it shot again.
It's between the pond and my neighbour's fence, it can't stay there, cramped and confined and yet everytime I try to move it something happens to halt my progress.

It *has* to come out this Winter, but I'm going to turn the stem into my digging stick, and I'll see if I can get enough of a rootball to transfer it to outside along the burn path. One branch is just the right shape for a firebow, one is twisted with honeysuckle, I may make a spindle, some lace bobbins and hair pins with some of the finer pieces.

I'm truly sorry your friend is near her time, it doesn't matter how well you feel you are prepared for the end, it still hurts. Plant something that matters, that will potentially, in time, give something you can use with memory, maybe something that will eventually let you prune off a good walking stick or the like.

Tom walked with me down the burn, sat beside me in the garden and while I made innumerable things, ran away with my new spun wool, played with my hair, curled up on top of me and slept like a furry hot water bottle, he was my big soft pet, even if to the rest of the world he was a fiend from hell intent on spending quality time with every Tabby in the village :rolleyes: , but I loved him and I still miss him.

With hindsight cremation is a good thing, all the bits free to go to make somethings else that live, but the roses above him are beautiful too :)

I hope you find the *right* tree.

kindest regards,
Toddy

monkey_pork

Forager
May 19, 2005
Devonshire
I'm in a similar position now, as my queen has a tumour in her face, and probably no more than a few weeks before she makes that great journey. She'll be cremated too, but her ashes will be returned and mixed with mine one day, when she and my tom cat come to call for me as I too, eventually make that journey.

Your vet will know of a decent pet cremation service nearby, and a decent service should be able to offer individual cremations too.

I'll be using a service based near Kingsbridge in South Devon, as it's only down the road from me, but it's maybe a bit far from where you are.

As to trees, Ash, Oak, or one of the thorns would be my choice, in that order.

Peace to you and your dog as she goes on ahead.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Not looking for sympathy but I have an old dog with just a few days to go as well so I can sympathise. He is a 16 year old lab cross springer spaniel and has been a devoted friend. My plan is to bury him in the garden he knows so well and plant a rowan tree. In Scotland there is a long established belief that rowan fends off evil spirits so it seems appropriate. :(

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
It's a hard time,my sympathy.

My Labrador is buried in her favourite sunny spot in front of a magnolia bush.We had the vet visit to put her down;cost a fortune but I wanted her to be in her own surroundings.

My four and a half year old flatcoat has had a toe removed because of a tumour and he now has a large lymph node swollen on the same leg.We don't know how long we'll have him.

I feel for you and appreciate what you are going through.

On topic,the Rowan tree is supposed to be the home of the spirits of the dead,so it might be appropriate for Lily.

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
This is possibly one of the hardest post’s I have ever made and have and one over which I have got quit emotional (big hard welder/ backcountry man!).I have had dogs and other animals all my life and have never regretted one second. I will not go into every dog ( I am a dog man) but they have all been my family, and not just friends. I could not even try to explain how much they have made my life better (and still are). Indeed looking at previous post’s I don’t think I need to. Most but not all of my dogs have lived to an average age of about 18, not bad for a dog.
They are ALL still with me every day just like every other member of my family who have passed from this world. I pay tribute to them along with my other ancestor’s and pay them just as much respect as any other. My friend I think any tree would be ok, ash would be nice from a heathen point , but any tree would be ok ( has lily a favourite ?).I really do think the big thing here is that it is some thing suitable for you and lily.
Chris

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Marts said:
Sorry to hear that Falling Rain.

May I ask why you are considering cremation, rather than burying Lily and then planting a tree above her?

Thanks for all your all your advice and kind words everyone. And my thoughts are with the others with pets with failing health.
I thought about having her cremated because I'm not actually sure about where I'm going to place her ashes yet. I don't want to place them in my garden as it's very unlikely I'm going to be staying there for much longer and I can hardly knock on the door and ask to visit my Lily's tree. I'm hoping to move back down to Devon and planning on staying there for possibly the rest of my life so when the time comes I will have her cremated and then I won't have to rush into a decision about were she's going to go. (with buriel I'd have to get it done quickly for obvious reasons) I know Exmouth well but would need to identify a good site so I can visit her when I wish, and watch the growth of the tree. Harder than it sounds because what I also don't want to happen is the forestry people or other, cutting it down to make way for a path, houses, etc, etc so it will have to be a very, very careful choice. I could place her in Shotover country park in Oxford which was her favourite place but then I won't be able to visit so often if I'm living down in Devon. At the moment I just can't decide what is best and It's very important to me that I make the right choice and have no regrets later.
Thanks also for all your advice on trees. I will read everything and give it some careful thought. Much appreciated everyone.
As I say, she's not gone yet, and I hope she'll go on for a good while longer. The vet said yesterday that a blood test was fine and no signs of anything bad. She could have another stroke at anytime but she may well go on for another year. It's just so distressing to see her like she is, falling over and looking over at me as if to say to say 'can you help me up' and walking into furniture because she's veering to the right all the time.
She was a great hunter and has been literally everywhere with me, and made me laugh a million times. If dogs wern't allowed (campsites etc) I didn't go. She's never been in a kennel in her life, and if we went on holiday, Lily and Mahya (other whippet and daughter of Lily) Came with us or we didn't go. It's as simple as that. As some other dog owners have said, and I know understand, it's making me well up just writing this..... Anyway positive thinking and all that. I'm not after sympathy either, I'd like to just make that clear. But I value all your advice, and it's good to talk to others who have been through similar.
Thanks again for all the advice.

monkey_pork

Forager
May 19, 2005
Devonshire
falling rain said:
I'm hoping to move back down to Devon and planning on staying there for possibly the rest of my life [...] Harder than it sounds because what I also don't want to happen is the forestry people or other, cutting it down to make way for a path, houses, etc, etc so it will have to be a very, very careful choice.

Maybe try organisations like:
Woodland Trust
The National Trust
or more specifically when you get back to Devon, Torbay Coast and Countryside Trust or Moor Trees might be worth a call to see if they can accomodate you. Both are ok'ish travel from Exmouth if that's where you do settle.

If it's a Devon internment, then Ash or Oak seem even more appropriate.

Reactions: Toddy

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Thanks for the links MP much appreciated.
Yes t'will be Exmouth as that's were I'm from originally and love it down there. I'm thinking Woodbury Common maybe a good idea. I'll have to investigate further.

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
Gosh this is the hardest thread I've ever read. We've only had two dogs pass away in my life and they were both very hard to deal with. I've been welling up just remembering what it was like. I don't have any tree suggestions I just wonted to add my words of support, its so hard when you see them suffering and you cant do anything to help. Just make the most of the time you have left and what ever decision you make make it with love.

I hope it all goes well, and my thoughts are with you and all the other people who's pets are suffering as well.

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
Again my sympathies go out to all coping with the loss of a loved one is difficult , i think you have to go with your own feelings , what is right for one is not for another . My own choice was to put our two dogs under the lawn when there time came . feeling it was the garden was a place they loved and knew , I know one day however we will have to leave them behind when we move . My wife however has our cats ashes in a casket under a sundial in the garden so that when we move they can come with us . With regards to a tree was not a yew tree the gardian of the spirit world . Ilan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE