Spider ID please. Strange looking beast. Harvestman calling..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
I'm a fan of spiders, even if the bigger ones give you a bit of a scare in the bathroom at night! They eat things I don't like, which makes them OK in my book. What I didn't like was having to turn the bathroom light on when I was abroad and wait for the roaches to leg it before I went in. Least favourite insect.

Elgatoloco

Tenderfoot
Apr 6, 2010
Glasgow, UK
On a sidenote it's good to have a cat, they're quite good in hunting those creepy suckers, so you don't have to throw them outside....and save some money on the cat's food...;)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
How the hang did they evolve anyway ? we've only lived in houses for a few thousand years here. They must have had some 'outdoor' living quarters.

M

Caves, hollow trees, under rocks, crevices, on cliffs, are all habitats that houses mimic. If we provide the habitat then the beasties will move in.

It baffled me for years what clothes moths ate before clothes, but of course if was animal hides from dead mammals.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well they can find spaces in hollow trees, under rocks, plant pots, crevices, etc., when I throw them outdoors now too then.
The garden and woodland and burn are rich with things growing, and hoaching with beasties. I'm blowed if I'm living with them indoors too if I can help it.

Spiders I don't mind; woodlice, beetles, earwigs, bees and wasps just get taken outside. Moths I really don't like. I know a feltmaker who gave up her entire workshop because of them :sigh:

M

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Well they can find spaces in hollow trees, under rocks, plant pots, crevices, etc., when I throw them outdoors now too then.
The garden and woodland and burn are rich with things growing, and hoaching with beasties. I'm blowed if I'm living with them indoors too if I can help it.

I'm with you on that M. It may surprise folks to know that although I love giant spiders, and have handled and kept many of the big scary spiders in my youth, even eaten tarantula's in South America. There is one species that I really run hard from, and that is the Great British House spider. It's weird. I've camped with camel spiders (yeah they are a bit freaky), squeezed into caves with whip scorpions and some other weird freaky African arachnids. But there's no way I'm going to put my feet down off the sofa and onto the carpet if I spot a house spider silhouetted against the skirting board.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I'm with you on that M. It may surprise folks to know that although I love giant spiders, and have handled and kept many of the big scary spiders in my youth, even eaten tarantula's in South America. There is one species that I really run hard from, and that is the Great British House spider. It's weird. I've camped with camel spiders (yeah they are a bit freaky), squeezed into caves with whip scorpions and some other weird freaky African arachnids. But there's no way I'm going to put my feet down off the sofa and onto the carpet if I spot a house spider silhouetted against the skirting board.

Wuss.

13254007443_f48f38d73d_b.jpg

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
On a sidenote it's good to have a cat, they're quite good in hunting those creepy suckers, so you don't have to throw them outside....and save some money on the cat's food...;)

Unless they kill the spider and drop it in your path as a present like cats tend to do.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm a housewife; if there's an insect that I can see (and believe me I look, I detest hidden dirt) then it has two options. It's dead or it's out.

They never survive the stuff my exterminator sprays in my house.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Have you seen the update on that. Dropped by on Monday.

I'm not scared of him. Just wary. Although I was unnerved that first night of the tent scrapings. If I was scared, I'd never of camped there again.

Yes! Wary. That's it! Lets go with wary.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I think it's fitting. He's a strange one for sure :lmao:

When I first started reading your posts about him I thought he was strange as well. Maybe I still do; but I'm starting to wonder if his antics are just innocent fun at your expense. Still, I wouldn't let down my guard either.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
He certainly likes to get close to the environment. But that first night was more than just innocent fun. That was plain weird. He can do whatever he likes up there, and maybe he didn't know my intentions at first. That book shows he either is a rabid Tom Brown fanboy, or is a lurker/member here, or both.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I don't think I'd survive the stuff the exterminator's use either though :sigh:

cheers,
M

Some truth in your logic. But them we also use repellants out in the woods as well. It's a matter of what's the worse choice: a)pests or b)insecticides

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE