Special shoes!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rain man

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2006
London
Hi, need a bit of help please. Me and my friend like to practice bushcraft in scary terrain! We are keen rock climbers (no ropes just bouldering and bit of free climbing) and so have found a few places full of forested hill sides with cliffs, caves and rivers etc. This is our playground :) but our footwear has become an issue. Travelling around in that environment with rocks, steep slopes, loose leaves etc we have found a stiff pair of B-1 trecking boots (as comfy as they are) provide a bit too much support and be a bit cumbersome, especially when it comes to climbing!
I'm currently enjoying the Born Survivor series by Bear Grylls and have noticed that he can't stop climbing everything in sight either :lmao: but his footwear (I point to the last Moab desert epoisode in partuclar) seems perfect. They look like they have Vibram soles (my fave) but thats all I can see. He called them climbing shoes but all my searches find are actual climbing shoes, the proper slipper kind which we dont usually take. I have found "Approach shoes" but not sure if they are what I'm after. Sorry for the lengthy intro let me simplify my questions:
1. What are the shoes Bear uses in that desert episode?
2. What experiences does anyone have of approach shoes?
3. Can anyone recommend anything which may fit the bill?
Your Wisdom is eagerly awaited. :notworthy

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Some of the climbing boot companys like 5.10 and boreal do lightweight approach shoes that i think you are refering to. Have a pair of boreal ones from a good few years ago, very small amount of coverage around the ankle to stop rocks cracking onto the bone and a superb vibram sole. Not sure whats available at the moment though, saw some nice Raickle(?) one's the otherday up in snow and rock on sale, would be ideal. One thing worth remembering with this kind of boot is that theres not much shock absorbancy(spelling :confused: ) in them, but very good for feel compared to salomans and the like for rock hopping and scrambling.
Hope this helps but not much call for them in this country hence never seeing a pair of 5.10 ones and buying the only boreal ones i've seen :rant:

This sort of thing? http://www.fiveten.com/ Check out the guide tennie :sulkoff:

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
Approach shoes are essentially beefier trainers with more of a hiking-boot type sole. You can get ones that are more like trainers or trail-running shoes (like Saucony Grid Approach), ones that are more like low-top hiking boots (like Salomon Exit Lo), and ones that are more like climbing shoes (like Garmont Sticky Weekend). Some of them are great, some of them are more fashion than function.

None of them are the most appropriate thing for technical climbing at your limit - they are best used for climbing at grades below your limit where you don't feel the need for dedicated climbing shoes ("stickies" my mate used to call them, its a name as good as any). Some people feel the need to wear stickies for any outing on rock, some people can happily climb well into E-grades in an old pair of trainers - it depends on strength, experience and acceptance of risk.

If you want a shoe that is good to climb in and good to walk in, I would look at the 5.10 range (Cragmaster or Guide models, if they're still current). Other stuff is available. Be aware that sticky rubber feels a bit funny to walk in and it can wear quickly - you're going to be paying £50+ for these shoes, remember.

Pay attention to the fit when you buy them. Climbing shoes work best when they're snug, but walking in snug shoes hurts after a while. It's all a trade-off.

Climbing footwear is generally bad for your feet. Make friends with a chiropody student......

Climb on, dude

Rat

cccc

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2007
North Hampshire
Rain man said:
I'm currently enjoying the Born Survivor series by Bear Grylls and have noticed that he can't stop climbing everything in sight either :lmao: but his footwear (I point to the last Moab desert epoisode in partuclar) seems perfect. They look like they have Vibram soles (my fave) but thats all I can see.

I think the ones he had in the rainforest were the Merrels Chameleon, not sure I would call them a climbing shoe, not overly good for feeling the rock, but I like mine for around town etc :)

Seem to have different fits for different versions of the shoes, my gortex ones were a lot less snug than the red ones ( I look like spiderman in them ) I have now.

c

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Approach shoes are good for general scuffing about. Scarpa, Merrell and 5.10 all offer really good ones. For more rocky episodes, I'd recommend 5.10: their Stealth rubber is superb and they have thought very carefully about the crossover between rock boot and trainer. For more general (muddy, woody, loose, wet, etc.) terrain, Merrell are very good and come in a seemingly endless variety. The choice is both difficult and yours - pick the ones that are most comfortable.

Nathan Sturgess

Forager
Mar 11, 2006
Various due to work
The shoes he wear look like merrel chameleon wrap. I would also recomend Montrail Highlander shoe, they are a crossover between a fell running shoe and hiking shoe. I would say just go to your local outdoors shop and try on different approach shoes.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Not sure about some of the shoes mentioned here but i had some North Face approach shoes that i used for work.
They weren't great with the respect that they wore out very quickly when worn every day, but the soles were very sticky and would be good for climbing (vibram soles too)

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
Approach shoes sound like your best bet for lightweight suitable for a bit of scrambling. The 5.10 ones have stealth rubber too, so super sticky.

Otherwise it may be worth looking at some big wall boots. they are usually more of a stiff boot, but have smooth soles where you will be using them for edging and smearing, so adding that extra bit of friction when you need it.

I used to have a pair of hanwags built for that purpose and used them daily when leading groups on coastal traverses etc. absolutely perfect for the job if you can find them.

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Wear and tear on this type of footwear mainly comes about due to the tread pattern/rubber compound. Have used north face approach shoes and found them comfy enough, but the very soft rubber and clunky tread around the heal and ball wore very quickly, where as the 5.10 approach shoes use the stealth rubber which is actually quite a hard compound compared to normal trainer rubber but doesn't have any real tread so better suited to rock hoppin etc but not the best traypsin around the peak district in early spring etc....
Oh yes and the climbing style shoes are excellent for driving in, ordered a pair into the shop for a bloke to use in his Ferrari because he had size 12 feet and normal trainers wouldn't fit under the dash and they give EXCELLENT feel :240:

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
cccc said:
I think the ones he had in the rainforest were the Merrels Chameleon, not sure I would call them a climbing shoe, not overly good for feeling the rock, but I like mine for around town etc :)

Seem to have different fits for different versions of the shoes, my gortex ones were a lot less snug than the red ones ( I look like spiderman in them ) I have now.

c
I use the merrell chameleon shoes.....They are superb, the most comfortable shoes I have ever had. Not sure if they are good for your bouldering, but they do grip well and have a vibram sole. They suit my narrow fit feet, but obviously everyones feet is different....

Rain man

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2006
London
Wow! Thank you all for your knowledge, I have a mamoth task ahead of me in my quest for the ultimate shoe! :confused: .... just add that quest to my growing list of quests..... :D

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
If buying merrells online buy a size above your usual as they tend to be a bit too snug IMO, better still try a pair on in the high street then find the best price online.

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
Why not just wear regular walking boots/shoes of your choice and carry a pair of climbing shoes with you?
If you're just bouldering and soloing routes then it would just be an addition of shoes and a chalk bag to your pack, which isn't exactly a burden. :confused:

Rain man

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2006
London
Yes I did on occasion take my climbing shoes, but to be honest nowadays our "rock climbing" is more like 'mountain man free running/walking'. When we move around in environments like that it would be a pain to have to keep stopping to change footwear to climb some rocks. Valid point anyway tho.

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
Rain man said:
Wow! Thank you all for your knowledge, I have a mamoth task ahead of me in my quest for the ultimate shoe! :confused: .... just add that quest to my growing list of quests..... :D

5.10 is the way to go

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE