Source of fabric.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Thank you for that Meadows. I have some of that fabric among other. I have been testing various options as I need a steady supply. After twoo weeks of emailing and calling all over the europe there are 4 options: ordering from USA (ripstop by the roll) which is not cost effective, catching bits and bobs on the ebay and various online shops, ordering from german on line shops (not cost effective and they dont have a constant supply), switching to taffeta polyester.
From my test of over 10 different fabrics: siliconised ripstop nylon is best for weight/strengt ratio but unobtainable, any type of nylon heavier than 50gsm is PU coated and nonbreathable, polycotton in weights over 4oz is strong enough and nice to work with, but too bulky and doesn't react well with moisture. Polyester is the closest thing to ideal hammock fabric, light, strong and moisture retardant, what DD is using.

I will tell you a little secret. I'm launching my little cottage company for making hammocks and other stuff, that's why I need a reliable supply. Thank you all for all your input and advice, I have learned a lot even from talking to above companies and experimenting with different options.
I'm hoping to have a little display during the Mooot so you can have a look how I'm doing :)

Meadows

Mar 15, 2015
Sheffield
If you are wanting a regular supply you should be talking to manufacturers try Alibaba to see if they would do custom weights.

All the best in your venture.

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
Cortman textiles and Henderson textiles are the suppliers to the trade in the UK. Give them both a ring and tell them what you're after.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I made my own hammock from skirt lining material. It's a synthetic polyester, commonly sold in fabric shops, very cheap. The width is perfect for hammocks.
Have you tried ordinary fabric shops? See what they have, try out the fabrics, then go to the suppliers.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
That's exactly where I am now. Been through dozen of local shops and the best thing I could find was above mentioned polyester. Unfortunatelly they retail what they can find so there is a half of a bale here and there. Enough for prototyping and to start production, but I need a good source for the future when I start ordering by the roll.
Cortman and Henderson look loke they have what I need so I'll call them today.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Cortman textiles and Henderson textiles are the suppliers to the trade in the UK. Give them both a ring and tell them what you're after.

That solved my biggest problem and I have been sewing my fingers off.

One last question, any idea where I can get some insulation used for sleeping bags? Anything hollow fiber ish. At the moment I'm gutting budget sleeping bags but it's not very cost effective...

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Regarding insulation, my home made quilt with two layers of 4oz Climashield Apex, which looks like it has only about 1.5" loft, is warmer than my duvet, which I use year round and appears to have 2.5 to 3" loft. I know that makes no sense according to general wisdom that loft is king, not what it is made of, but I have been too hot under that little quilt, and comfortable under the big one on a number of nights, so I am going with my experience rather than the text book answer here.

Either way, I would think that you would want an insulation that placed warmth for weight and compressibility ahead of fire retardance and long term wear resistance. Hope you get what you need, but I would be wary of anything which isn't specifically meant for sleeping bags and similar lest you wind up with really heavy and bulky quilts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE