Source of fabric.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Hi guys, I need some help before my head explodes from googling. Any idea where I can get a good supply of ripstop fabric? You know the decent stuff used for parachutes and hammocks. All I can find is fake ripstop on ebay and kite shops with horrendous prices.

I have few projects to build but I'm stuck on that....

Much appriciate any advice.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire

Ha beat me to those. Have ordered from both and sad to say that the stuff that they carry makes the UK stockists look rather meagre by comparison.

Point North's supply is rather variable, sometimes they have good stuff, and often not.

Sorry, don't know about down in the UK. I have seen it in the US at:
http://www.makeyourgear.com/insulation/down/850-fill-goose-down-3-ounces/
another really good source for fabric and hammock hardware.

I am making an underquilt using the Climashield Apex stuff sold by all three of those sources. It really is warmer than the typical synthetic insulation found in the mid range bags, like Snugpak. Good luck!

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I bought some climashield apex from extreme textile and it's good stuff. Due to it's nature it doesn't need to be quilted in either.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Back to my question. After many missed orders from ebay and trying a ton of online shops I'm absolutely stuck for ripstop. Fo some reason everything is waterproofed and nonbreathable...

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
I have been through ebay, First one is too narrow, one colour and endo of a roll, the other one is as I said before PU coated ripstop totaly unbreathable...

Meadows

Mar 15, 2015
Sheffield
What are you making @Big monster ? How wide and what weight of fabric do you need? I've just done a ton of looking in to ripstop for hammocks, so might be able to point you in the right direction.

Last edited:

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Exactly what I'm after, fabric for hammocks. So need 150cm-160cm wide, anything between 60gsm to 100gsm. As long as it's breathable.

Meadows

Mar 15, 2015
Sheffield
Item number eBay.
182434914202 Blue 4oz. Ripstop.
I made an 11'6" hammock out of the full width that weighs about 450g. The same seller has other colours. If you want lighter than that you might need to be patient as 150cm+ fabrics are not as common.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE