Something new to compete with BioLite.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
So do I. But I also like checking out new gadgets and ideas :)

PS. You know what the worst thing about wheel chair is? People talking behind your back and pushing you around...

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
The idea is really good but the actual amount of converted energy you'll get is practically pointless. Same as with all these bioLite things. What I said before 50,000mah power bank and my 240g cookset. Job done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
What I want is a bit of metal on the end of a wire you can throw into an open fire and has a USB charging port on tother end.
With base camp fires running for hours sometimes it must be possible to harness some of the lost energy.

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
Problem is with both of these ideas you need a heat sink to relief the plate from over loading hence why it's attached to a container of water.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
What I want is a bit of metal on the end of a wire you can throw into an open fire and has a USB charging port on tother end.
With base camp fires running for hours sometimes it must be possible to harness some of the lost energy.

http://www.flamestower.com/

Skeptical about all these small devices, and still requires water for to create the temperature difference.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
When I go to the woods I turn off all my electrical stuff - I go to the woods to get away from all that stuff!
On exped it could be useful I guess but I found that 4-6 AA batteries for torches and camera plus two mobile phone batteries charged before going would last me about a month.
For longer periods or higher demand on batteries I have used a solar panel for recharging ... but that let me down when I most needed it!

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
Don't know if it still works because the last time it was chugging away I was about 11 but I should imagine it would go first time. I'm going to try it now lol.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
The technology behind the bio-lite stove and similiar devices like this has been around for some time but in the last five years manufacturing advances have significantly brought down the price of Peltier Modules. FYI they also come in wide range of output voltages so you're not limited to charging USB kit but 12v is posibble as well and like batteries can be stacked in series or parrallel configurations to provide the desired voltage or current required.

IMPORTANT: when connecting a peltier device to sensative electronics such as cell-phone or other USB charged device you will need to wire in a five volt, one amp fixed voltage regulator, these only cost £2 or so and will stop any expensive kit going bang.

Peltier bare bones demo...
[video=youtube_share;SvBeCCjb9ds]http://youtu.be/SvBeCCjb9ds[/video]

Other devices that may be of interest are Stirling engines and the less well known about Nitinol wire that can use heat to turn a dynamo.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE