some of my kit for sweden

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
I was out with the family today so i thought i would give my hudson bay knife a quick test to see if its up to a trip to the artic.I had to give it a good sharpening when it arrived at my houes.Anyway it was pretty good. It felt good to use and made short work of every task i throw at it. It stayed sharp, and going off its performance today i will take it on my trip. It will need a lanyard to help hold it when wearing mits.rafe george and hannah 035.jpgrafe george and hannah 036.jpgrafe george and hannah 039.jpgrafe george and hannah 046.jpgrafe george and hannah 045.jpg

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
I was out with the family today so i thought i would give my hudson bay knife a quick test to see if its up to a trip to the artic.I had to give it a good sharpening when it arrived at my houes.Anyway it was pretty good. It felt good to use and made short work of every task i throw at it. It stayed sharp, and going off its performance today i will take it on my trip. It will need a lanyard to help hold it when wearing mits.View attachment 27952View attachment 27953View attachment 27954View attachment 27955View attachment 27956

Did you find it rubbed on your finger at all, I had to round the edges off to stop it digging in.

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
It was OK mate but it had a nice finish on the handle so maybe yours had a bit of a bad finish maybe some one rushed it wear it was made it happens sometimes.You have a very nice knife now sorry knives lol

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
This is by MAD DAVE showing some of the kit we made for the last trip :) ... .[video=youtube;Rcb6ZG0px4w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpag e&v=Rcb6ZG0px4w[/video]

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
Great video! Wish I was there, bet you're having a great time! :)
thanks Cameron It was good fun but a bit warm only got down to minus 10 at night but it was well worth the trip,next time we will hope to get down to minuse 15 to minuse 40 ish that way it will be dry cold and the way we like it :) ...Finland was very nice and it was easy to get from the airport to the forest just a walk away so no messing just bushcraft :) ...and the forest.The trip cost about 400 as we took meat to save money,MEAT cost a lot in scandanavia so we took a lot are shopping bill was 35 for four of us,last time in swedden we spent about 200 on food for two of us as we bought meat ther it was very expensive,:(

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
thanks Cameron It was good fun but a bit warm only got down to minus 10 at night but it was well worth the trip,next time we will hope to get down to minuse 15 to minuse 40 ish that way it will be dry cold and the way we like it :) ...Finland was very nice and it was easy to get from the airport to the forest just a walk away so no messing just bushcraft :) ...and the forest.The trip cost about 400 as we took meat to save money,MEAT cost a lot in scandanavia so we took a lot are shopping bill was 35 for four of us,last time in swedden we spent about 200 on food for two of us as we bought meat ther it was very expensive,:(

Good stuff! That's useful info about the meat as me and my dad are going to Sweden this year, it will be summer and well be canoeing so well take plenty of food, I can't wait! :)

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
This is an old thread i know but i want to keep it going as theres lots of things to add as the years go on. This trip in 2015 is in kittila again but this time theres about 8 of us going. Anyway heres the badge design we have had made for this trip, it is takein from the coat of arms in kittila. Its a wolvarin with red claws saying sub zero crew kitila 2015. We have blue badges as well but i like the white best.my bushcraft 795.jpgI wanted a bag for hand luggage and for longhunter trip camps, so this is what i came up with. Its cowhide and it has a sami style fastener made from reindeer and red deer anteler joining together with a simple pull string inside at the top. I think it will do well in the cold and will shed snow, but not so good in the rain, i will see how it goes. I thought it would be good for carring my down jacket, my axe and food on day trips,and at night as a pillow as it is warm and soft :) ... my bushcraft 791.jpgmy bushcraft 793.jpg

Attachments

• my bushcraft 796.jpg
    my bushcraft 796.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 22
  • my bushcraft 797.jpg
    my bushcraft 797.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
This is my new watch strap i have made for the cold. I am sick of my watch straps breaking so i looked at army type watch straps from WW1 and WW2. I like the way they stop any pulling on the watch pins, and they keep the metal back of the watch from touching your skin. Also in WW2 they came up with a cover that helps protect the face. I like old kit so i used the same tan leather as they used on the sam brown belt, and brass stud fasteners. I used sheep skin to help keep out the cold and to protect the watch from knocks. I am going have a go at makeing a compass strap that will go over my snow smock so if it goes well i will post up some photos :) ...my bushcraft 800.jpgmy bushcraft 807.jpgmy bushcraft 808.jpg

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
Thanks crowman:) ... I was chating with welcy about taking short range radios to the arctic. We thought they will come in handy with communications and for exta safety. The cold will just kill the battries,so we disgust making some type of covers to help keep them warm, with the help of hand warmers put inside the case. As you know i like old kit so i went for a tradtionall aproach and used old leather off cuts i had to make the case, the strap was inspired by seeing a nice bold rik wyland has made. I used an old 58 webbing strap and leftover leather from my watchstrap project to make use of all my lether off cuts. Anyway this is what i came up withmy bushcraft 816.jpgmy bushcraft 817.jpgmy bushcraft 818.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE