Some fantastic Pre BushMoot Courses (2012)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Pre and Post BushMoot courses

We've had a number of requests for these course so we’re doing the same as last year with some courses going on before and some after the main Moot days. If you're interested in any of these then book your places on the Ticket site here...

Traditional Basket Making skills

This is a great opportunity to spend the day learning transferrable skills and making something very substantial and useful.

Book your place here

Cost: £35 for the day + Approx £5 for materials
Date: Friday 3rd Aug and Wed 8th Aug
Minimum numbers: 5
Maximum numbers: 8
Note: Two people can work on a single project sharing the learning and the labour (only one basket though).

Here's an example of the fantastic baskets you'll be able to make while you master new skills and gain some great hands on experience.

Irish Creel
This is a very strong basket traditionally used in Ireland to gather peat, seaweed. Back creels were used to carry loads to market. The construction uses weaves unique to Ireland which are also used in lobster pots and coracles. It is a very useful basket to make for the outdoors. It will take a full day to complete. Bring knife, secateurs if you have them Max 8 people
irishcreel.jpg

Potato Skib
Traditional Irish basket made to sieve cooked potatoes and as a tray to eat from. It is a very strong basket made from barked willow, often hung on the wall in the kitchen until needed. Bring knife, secateurs if you have them 8 people max, Long day.
potatoskib.jpg

3 day Leather working

Book your place here

Cost: £120 + materials based on what you choose to make.
Date: Wed 2nd Aug - Friday 4th Aug
Maximum numbers: 10

Those that attended this course last year have nothing but praise for it, so don’t miss your opportunity for small group instruction at a great price.

First Aid Course
NGB certified - This is a recognised qualification

Book your place here

Date: Thursday 2nd - Friday 3rd August
Maximum Numbers: 10
Cost: £80

More info posted up very soon...

Course Run by Wayne Jones of Forest Knights School

Last edited:

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
If any of last years leatherwork attendees want to do it again, I'd be more than happy to let you crack on with an advanced leatherwork option. There's only so much you can absorb in 3 days, and I only scratched the surface last year. So here's an opportunity to take what you learned last year and move it on to a whole new level.

Of course, leatherwork virgins will be taken through the process from the beginning and will have moocho fun (I guarantee it).

springer5

Mar 9, 2010
Carmarthen, Wales
Looks like the Scots have set up their own "corner" in the woods (see location map), and there'll be some interesting courses covering the making of Irish weaving techniques. Well done to those parties.

So come on you English and Welsh folk, what cultural, traditional ideas can anyone come up with.

How about how to carve that special Welsh Lovespoon around the camp fire, or making your own English longbow. I'm sure there are other things too. We shouldn't let the Scots and Irish do all the hard work!

It would be great to see all the nations involved offering something specific to themselves; "trading cultures", a great way to make new friends on all sides. A real multi-national event :)

Looks like a fabulous location btw. Missed the last one but I'm tempted to try and make it to this one.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Okey sign me up for that leatherworking course Eric, that sounds sublime!!
Already send a PM to Tony about the payments, and will send you a PM about possible projects, so you wont have to drag 7 whole cows along with you ^^
Yours sincerely Ruud

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Do the above prices include the camping days? If so what is it if you have paid for the full duration camping? Slightly confused!

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
If you stay the Moot including the camping days on each side of the moot, including the full member days it would total out on 155 pounds if I am not mistaken.
The courses on the side cost a bit extra, also keep in mind a bit of extra cash, for possible material costs during courses.
Yours sincerely Ruud
Did I get that right Tony?

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Can you put Lorraine and I down for the 8th basket making course please.
We'll share the learning and basket

Is the first aid expedition or first aid based outdoors?
Does that make sense?

Mark

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
The first aid course will be suitable for those wanting to do their ML etc . At least 16 hours contact time.

Topics covered will include.

CPR
Fractures and Wilderness Fractures.
Soft tissue injuries. Sprains and dislocations.
Bleeding.
Trauma management
Environmental injuries
AMS
Rescue and evacuation
Lightning Injuries
Burns
Shock
Crush Injuries
Suspension Syndrome.
Drowning

Etc Etc

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
There are still a few places left on the first aid course. it will be starting promptly at 10am. Those attending will come away with a huge wealth of knowledge gained through lots of practical demonstrations and casualty simulations.

Could those attending bring a orange survival bivvy bag an old builders plastic tarp and some gaffa tape. if you cant fix it with gaffer tape then your not a real bushcrafter. Also a personal FAK might be nice.

This is a very hands on course and leads to a nationally recognised certificate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE