Some advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Looking for some advice. I am taking the family to Bude next week and plan on trying to harvest some fresh sea fish for tea on a night.

I have fishing gear and experience but it is majorly in coarse angling and not sea fishing.

I am after some advice on spinning rigs from the rocks and ideally an input from those who have experience in doing this type of fishing.

TIA

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
The beaches round here are quite flat so not a huge depth of water to fish in from the beach with light gear. I tend to prefer a thin and heavy lure to cast with, so 28g slim metal lure rather than a 10g Mepps for example.

I don't know Bude that well but you should spot people mackereling if you fancy having a go. Perfect for the BBQ. Next week the tides are very high (rough guide here, don't forget to select the right day and add an hour: http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/coast_and_sea/tide_tables/10/544#tide-details ), should be ideal for mackerel at high tide and I tend to go in the morning as there's less people about.

You can use the obvious set of feathers but I had reasonable success with an 8' spinning rod, light line (8lb) and either a 18g or 28g silvery metal lure.

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
I'm getting nagged by the youngest to go fishing with him soon, we usually go to Crackington or Widemouth but the breakwater at Bude is often a good spot so I'm told. Light spinning gear 9ft or 10ft rod or a fly rod is all I ever really use.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
I was planning on just spinning from the rocks for Mackerel and seeing if we can harvest anything for tea. My step son wants to be a chef so it would be a good education for him to catch the food, kill it and prepare it properly for us to eat back in camp.

Thanks for the input

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE