Some advice for a newbie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nigelbam

Apr 16, 2012
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I live on the North East Coast close to Newcastle and wonder if anyone could recommend some nearby-ish places where I could get a good days walking in and maybe an overnight camp. Somewhere far from the madding crowd where I can pretend I know what I'm doing would be ideal :)

I don't have a lot of experience but can use a compass and am not averse to buying maps - at 45 I don't mind walking but putting in too many hills might cause irreparable damage to the old ticker!

I was thinking Kielder, but that seems a bit obvious so was wondering if there was anywhere else. I've got a car and a bike and guess the furthest I could travel is around 1.5 hours which is probably around 50/60 miles.

Thanks!

Nige

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
not good for walking, but very good to practice camp craft and fire skills etc etc is Brockwell woods, its on the south side of Newcastle and well worth an over night trip.

use the search engine here and you will find many threads about the place with pictures of the area...

regards.

chris.

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
try the cheviots mate there are a few places to wild camp there if u like windy nights.lol.but if you get stuck for ideas just have a look at some old threds as lannyman said earlier or try pm ing a few of the lads from the north east who im sure will give you some good ideas. just an idea ,if you like sea fishing why not walk up the coast to find some good spots to camp and fish the beach overnight ?

cheers andrew.

Last edited:

nigelbam

Apr 16, 2012
United Kingdom
Thanks for all the ideas, will check out brockwell as well as the Cheviots. Also thinking about maybe walking the wall in the summer sometime too ...

Nige.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE