Solar thermal heater

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
Has anyone on here experimented with one?
Have been watching some videos, and would find one hand for washing up, hands etc throughout the day.

Have thought about using a 10l water tank if that would work somehow?

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Any container dark in colour and holds water will heat up and give you warm to hot water.

I set up a load of old radiators, painted black on a farm roof once for passive hot / warm water, just connected together with hose pipe, mains water in and hot water down and out.

Reactions: Decacraft

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Any container dark in colour and holds water will heat up and give you warm to hot water.

I set up a load of old radiators, painted black on a farm roof once for passive hot / warm water, just connected together with hose pipe, mains water in and hot water down and out.
How well did it work?

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Simple solar heaters are used all over the Med for water heating, works. In mid summer works also higher up north but tends to require concentrators the farther up one goes.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Really, actually the amount of energy received at higher latitudes at summer solstice is greater IF clear and sunny but it never is. Also as the nights are cooler more insulation is required to counter heat loss, both convective and radiation.

Fairly simple physics.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Really, actually the amount of energy received at higher latitudes at summer solstice is greater IF clear and sunny but it never is. Also as the nights are cooler more insulation is required to counter heat loss, both convective and radiation.

Fairly simple physics.

Amazing.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
How well did it work?
Near enough boiling at the height of summer, to 20 degrees in winter, so hit and miss :)

It worked for our needs, which was mainly washing hands on the farm, the temperature lowered as the mains water was drawn through. In hot sunny weather, we filled buckets up and allowed it to cool.

Rust / discolouration was the main issue, when water was standing, but when used continuously it was fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Decacraft

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Near enough boiling at the height of summer, to 20 degrees in winter, so hit and miss :)

It worked for our needs, which was mainly washing hands on the farm, the temperature lowered as the mains water was drawn through. In hot sunny weather, we filled buckets up and allowed it to cool.

Rust / discolouration was the main issue, when water was standing, but when used continuously it was fine.

Solar thermal tends to get knocked because it can't provide Hot water throughout the year for free.

My view is that I'd rather have half of something for free if it benefits me and or the planet.

Half of the energy spent heating is 50% improvement/ better than no energy saved.

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
Exactly my thoughts, it's for the farm, so if I can wash my hands with something that requires no fire or attention during the day, and maybe a quick shower and dishes.

In the summer it means I don't have to have a fire on the go, in the winter I usually have a fire going in the cabin so half time free would be great

Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE