Snugpak rocketpak (My experiences...some are good)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
(FYI, today i use a short back OG PLCE bergen)

[FONT=Arial Narrow, sans-serif]My comment BCUK 22-06-2006 [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Narrow, sans-serif] basically I swapped my DPM PLCE long back Bergen for the Snugpak in a bargain deal I thought was great.

problems I have came up with:
[/FONT]

1. [FONT=Arial Narrow, sans-serif]No shoulder tensioners the ones that go from your shoulder to the top of the sack which are on 99% of all rucksacks (I had to add my own) otherwise the bag sits too low on the back.[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=Arial Narrow, sans-serif]Side compression straps, you have to thread them in and out of the side pouch or leave them dangling, then when you want to take off the side pouch you have a 5 min struggle.( I added some Fastex clips).[/FONT]
  3. [FONT=Arial Narrow, sans-serif]Top pocket does not have attachments ie a place to carry a roll mat, (I had to add some buckles).[/FONT]
  4. [FONT=Arial Narrow, sans-serif]The waist belt gets loose after a short walk (nearly always).(I'm considering sewing again :(  )[/FONT]
  5. [FONT=Arial Narrow, sans-serif]The water proof covers, though well designed for some reason fasten with 2 plastic clips that sit in the middle of the back, why?[/FONT]
  6. [FONT=Arial Narrow, sans-serif]The snow collar is very basic, and is fraying, (I've really not used it much) :(
    [/FONT]
  7. [FONT=Arial Narrow, sans-serif]The side pockets though well designed the badly judged stitching on mine prevented the use of the waist belt of the yoke!(I had to cut the stitching off).[/FONT]
  8. [FONT=Arial Narrow, sans-serif]The elastic back cord always gets caught on stuff and occasionally ping's me! :eek: (not good in close woodland/paths) a nice feature idea but I don't use it apart from sometimes carrying my roll mat which it isn't big enough for!:confused: [/FONT]
  9. [FONT=Arial Narrow, sans-serif]I find the sack (with side pockets)too small especially in winter, a situation my original PLCE Bergen would have laughed at! :( [/FONT]
  10. [FONT=Arial Narrow, sans-serif]I am always aware the fabric is not as tough as I want it to be! (again the laughing PLCE!) [/FONT]
  11. [FONT=Arial Narrow, sans-serif]I want something as diverse as this bag with better quality features, and tougher fabric. basically a military quality rucksack that can be used as a patrol(day), sack and a full on winter (sack).

I know I have sung the rockets praises before but I've had time to get used to it now and it ain't that great! IMHO :(
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Narrow, sans-serif]Snugpak rocketpak my personal modifications. 16-02-2005 [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Narrow, sans-serif]
this was all done in about 3 hours hand sewing, anyone can do it,

Many people agree that the Snugpak rocketpak is a nice bag with a few flaws:

1. Back too short causing the weight to sit high in unnatural position.
2. Not enough capacity.
3. Shoulder straps not adjustable (not even present)!
4. Nowhere to attach things to lid.

I have modified my pack with just a few straps and clips that have improved the comfort and usefulness of the sack tenfold!

1st modification:
To add adjustment to top of sack/shoulders to move the weight closer to the body a feature found on 90% of rucksacks that for an unknown reason has been negated on the Snugpak rocketpak.
I have simply stitched two 18” webbing straps to the shoulder straps (the reason for this length will become clear later) at the front of the shoulder, and these thread through two simple rucksack buckles fixed to the back of the loose material just below the top pocket on the side of the buckle is a simple “D” ring.
When the strap runs through the buckle you can adjust how close/high the Snugpak rocketpak sits to your shoulders as on any other rucksack.

2nd modification:
To add 2 further “D” rings to the opposite side (front) of the top pocket, 6” apart 1” above the zip. Now you can carry a sleeping mat or something else on the lid of your Snugpak rocketpak.

3rd Modification:
Fit Fastex clips to the side compression straps, this allows you quick access to the side pouches (or jet packs), and allows you to attach them without having to thread the straps though buckles, not so bad but imagine doing it in the dark or wind!

4th modification:
This is the most complicated modification, I found I always wanted just that extra few litres that the Snugpak rocketpak, does not allow, especially during winter months.

I have taken an Olive Green PLCE Bergen side pouch (mine is an old medical pouch but a standard one will work), I have added four male Fastex clips to the sides of my Snugpak rocketpak lid, so the PLCE Bergen side pouch will clip to the top of the Snugpak rocketpak, to stop it slipping forwards and backwards I have added 2 adjustable Fastex clips front and back of the lid with an amount of adjustment to allow different bulk in the top pocket.
And finally I have added 2 rucksack buckles to the side (facing the back of my head), so the long straps from the shoulder straps (I mentioned in 1st modification) reach and this adds to the stability and allows heavier loads to be carried in the PLCE Bergen side pouch. The strap I sewed the buckles on with I left as an open loop which acts as a hand carrying loop, not strong enough to carry the whole Bergen but useful when sorting gear. I have already used mine to carry Bushcraft kit on a walk.

5th modification:
The last modification is only a little one but allows for more variation, all I have done is add 2 male clips to the top rear outside lip of the main compartment, this allows any “single” side pouch (or jet pack) to hang at the rear of the Snugpak rocketpak, the main part of the hanging pouch can be contained in the elastic straps or a simple utility strap can hold it in place.
Main uses I can see for this could be something to carry very light items such as a small sleeping mat, lightweight waterproofs, it’s important heavy things are not carried this way because A) it’s not strong enough, and B) the weight could pull the whole rucksack back unbalancing you and causing back problems.

conclusion.
As a finished item, I have used PLCE utility straps and PLCE side pouch straps, which are almost identical to the straps used on the Snugpak rocketpak, and nothing looks out of place.
The whole system is easier to pack, and use as a normal rucksack and even sits better on my back (a good 6” taller) due to the adjustable shoulder straps.

The PLCE Bergen side pouch, uses the same clips and again is very similar in colour and can be zipped to the main rucksack.

the only problem you will find is that the waterproof cover will not fit over the extra side pouch but you could carry it until the rain subsides.

be aware my suggestions may effect the warranty of the rucksack!

all that is needed is:
1 olive green PLCE side pouch(PLCE medical pouches open sideways so work well as a top pocket)
2 PLCE utility straps (the softer the better).
2 PLCE side pouch straps (the ones with 3 Male clips, again the softer the better).
2 extra 1" buckles (similar to the PlCE utility straps).
4 1" "D" rings.
4 1" Fastex clips (like the ones that close the main compartment).
1 strong needle
very strong thread.

I hope that I will get some pictures to show details soon.

be aware my suggestions may effect the warranty of the rucksack!
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Narrow, sans-serif]11-06-2004, [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Narrow, sans-serif]OK I've made some adjustments to my Snugpak rocket, first:

make use of straps(on shoulder straps) that run from chest height to the pack top.
on each I have managed to attach a buckle, and have sewn a 1" piece of webbing to the top outside of the pack adding a "D" ring to the sewn part. this now means I have a way of adjusting the top 6"of the pack and can now pull it closer as you can on most modern packs.

the "D" rings are on the front and back of the top pocket which now can serve as attachment for the "missing" top straps.

I have added 2 Fastex male clips to the middle top of the front of the back they correspond with an extra "rocket" pack when attached the front of the pack looks similar to the popular US ALICE pack just bigger.

I am considering making some straps so my spare "rocket" could also sit on top of the pack but still figuring it out. this would in turn push the height of the sack up rather than back.
I shall endeavour to post a picture.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Snugpak rocketpak[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Observations after modification[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Since my modifications the whole sack feels very different, it sits much closer to the back, higher, and tighter, far easier to adjust and less tiring to use.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I can now run with the bag and even when it is loaded as the weight has been moved up and forward towards the centre of balance.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]It is possible to attach standard belt type pouches to the compression straps (PLCE pouches fit easily), which is convenient, but “pouch-bounce” is bad. It could be elevated with some sort of tie down strap or permanent clip on the pouch but possibly more hassle than it is worth[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]The medic bag conversion works well as long as it is not too heavy, probably best left for shelter gear or clothing rather than food or water.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]If the medic bag is too heavy (an example being 2 water bottles) the medic pouch will move violently if a jog or run is attempted and may damage the clips, unless the main sack is full and holding it’s weight.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Having the roll matt under the bungee straps is very convenient and unnoticeable when carried. Only downside not able to use the waterproof cover, if both are needed there are two options either: carry a Thermarest instead or use the roll matt to line the main sack it is just possible but it dramatically reduces the overall volume of main sack).[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]After using it on the first BCUK East Anglia meet-up, I found it a good size, fine for weekend Bushcraft or camping if anything too big. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Caution is needed when packing large amounts (it could balloon out like an ALICE pack at the bottom) though for me this is a very good thing, as it forces good organization.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]A positive and a negative is overall size, 70[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ﺎ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]total size, PLCE Bergen’s are 120[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ﺎ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]which is getting on for twice the size. Originally regretting selling my PLCE Bergen for something this small and discovering the problems I now find it a very useful sack a little on the small side but something I can get used to.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Adding the top medic bag pocket adds another 10[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ﺎ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]making the overall size 80[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ﺎ[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif], which is a big sack! There is now also provision for a further 10[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ﺎ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]side pocket on the rear of the back! And there is always the option of using belt pouches too.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]To put it into perspective, during my most arduous training, of three days camping/hiking in the Lake District, I used my PLCE Bergen with the side pockets empty (I could have carried less!) and that 80[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ﺎ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif](ish) was fine. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I think the most annoyance is always going to be mistaking the compression straps with the lid straps and that’s only ever going to be a problem when attaching the side pouches which might only be once a weekend! Not much of a problem![/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Being the size it is, it's far more useful as both a full-on Bergen and a day sack it would also pass as a climbing sack with ice axe loops and mesh pockets to carry walking poles/tent poles.[/FONT]

ugh...

Last edited:

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I have a Snugpak Sleeka 35 that I would trade you for a 2008 or newer Range Rover. Seriously, thank you for the info on the Rocket Pack. I was myself, very dissappointed with the Sleeka 35. It cost me almost as much as a Karrimor SF35 and the Snugpak is crap compared to the Karrimor. I now have a Sabre 35 and the Snugpak is in the garage somewhere, waste of good money!

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
i've had the snugpak bergen, and though potentially more comfortable, just too short in the back for me, didn't like the snow collar not having gromets for the cord, and no shoulder tensioners, also, heavy weight seemed to bulge the bottom a bit. the compression straps were also poorly thought out. i sold it in the end, but could have stuck with it if only longer in the back. sad really, as it seemed to be ok,

already had the sleeka 35, but that too had odd side pockets, but my main issue with that was the hip fins were really padded but came no where near the hips so might as well have been a belly strap only, and the shoulder straps were extremly hard. now back to just the snugpak elite sleeka. think i'll stick with that, thats perfect!

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Oh.
I have the Sleeka 35, which is my main pack, and I absolutely love it. I have no qualms with it whatsoever. I would without hesitation buy one again and recommend it to others.
I also have a Rocketpak. And I love that too. I have experienced none of the problems others have mentioned above. Mind you, I would add that I rarely trek long distances with it (no more than a few miles), and don't use it that often (because I don't often use the larger of my packs).
I sometimes wish the two side pockets were slightly smaller, or partitioned, because they are both quite big and tend to swallow things. But I'm not that bothered. I like the fact that it sits high on the back (I'm 175cm tall - neither short nor tall) and the lack of straps on top also don't affect me because I don't like things strapped to the outside of a pack and I use a folding mat that goes inside anyway. I also don't like waist belts, so I cut them off - so any shortcomings with them clearly don't affect me. I also never take the side pockets off so the compression straps don't affect me. As for not enough capacity - well, whoever thought a 70L pack WOULD carry as much as a 120L one!?
Like I say, I love the Rocketpak. But I confess that I've never been in the armed services so have never had to walk far with a pack and, for my needs and the way I use it, the Rocketpak is spot on. If I was to buy a new large pack I would buy a MOLLE pack, but that's only because I like the way they open out - straight into the heart of the pack rather than diving in from the top; and also because of their modular nature and how you can build them to suit your own tastes. Although those MOLLE packs work out considerably more expensive...

Reactions: Laurence Milton

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
you dont spend money on an item to do lots of changes surely?regards dave

never intended to, it just had so many areas that needed looking at, I couldn't return it as it was a kit swap/barter at the local surplus shop (no money or receipts).

I guess what I am saying in all of this is, it is a personal preference thing, but really check what is out there before you buy.
also try as many sorts as you can, and get lots of opinions good and bad.

Many I'm sure are fine with the Snugpak Rocketpak, but it just had far too many downsides for me, and some of the features were strange (like the straps fitting outside the pouches) and no shoulder tensioner.
for me (sadly) the PLCE Bergen and US Army Alice pack do the job better...technically they shouldn't!

I should just say that the surplus shop I sold it to (a few years back) still has it hanging up!

Last edited:

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I believe that the way a pack fits makes one like or dislike the thing. When I was in the US Army, I had to haul a large ALICE with frame everywhere. Carried it for many, many miles. That particular pack is way too small, fit wise, for my body. I am just too tall for it. So, it pinches some nerves in my back that make my legs feel as if they are asleep while I am walking. Not a comfortable feeling when you have no choice but to keep walking. Other than that, I liked the ALICE pack with all the pockets and the large main compartment.

Much the same for me and the Snugpak Sleeka 35. The waist belt is way too high on me and the shape of the shoulder straps does not fit my shoulders and torso either, making the pack hang oddly on my back. Not too uncomfortable for short trips, a few miles or so. I like the rest of the design, it is simple and functional. I would prefer to have a hydration pocket inside but since I don't absolutely NEED a hydration pocket... and the pack fits so poorly, I just prefer to not use the pack.

In the USA, the Sleeka costs about $100 and mailing off to the UK for Karrimor Sabre 35 works out to be about $110. The Sabre has a hydration pocket, the side pockets are a better design (to me) and there are some long side pockets behind the obvious ones. Also the straps fit as they should, the padded back is better and overall the construction seems much improved compared to the Sleeka. The waist strap is still a bit high but since the strap is minimal, it can simply be left unused. I wand mine around backwards and put it through the 2 ice axe loops and fasten it out of my way and leave it that way. The Sabre carries more comfortably and due to the pocket arrangement, it is more convenient to pack up.

Most of my hikes are in desert country and I pack at least 3 liters of water, perhaps even 4L. I use a 3L Camelbak bladder most often. I end up with over 20 pounds because of the water. I carry 20-25 pounds comfortably in my Sabre 35, it was much less comfortable in the Sleeka. I do think it is because of how my body fits the suspension and how the back padding is done.

Cheers!

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Im glad Ive seen this thread pop up as Im thinking of swapping my SP bergen for a rocketpack. The bergen is just too big for me, great pack but theres just miles too much room for what I use. RAPPLEBY do you have any pictures of your modifications and/or what the pack looks like on?

Nov 25, 2012
Swindon
Hi Rappleby,
did you ever get round to finding those pics. Just got a Rocketpak, and the thing hangs off my shoulders a bit too much, so I'm thinking just about all the mods you made sound about right. Or do you know of any where else I could get the inspiration from? Can't seem to find anything at the moment.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE