Snow Parka / Anorak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

skaus84

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 15, 2008
Liverpool UK
How much fabric would it take to make something like that in a single layer? I have an idea for a smock for myself, but need an idea on how much material to buy.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Hi Wayland,
Hope you don't mind but I couldn't shake that idea that Southey had of that picture of you needing to look like an oil painting, so I took the liberty of having a play in photoshop 7.0 using different filter overlays and these are the results.

Well I like 'em, besides it's all a learning curve to become familier with a program.

Just to recap the first is the unfiltered photo Wayland posted in posting number 1. All the rest are just applied filters over it of various types and settings. The only thing I did was slightly erase the filter where Wayland's face was, since most are drawn to someone's eyes when you look at a picture, and those filters just obliterated any features.

Snow-Parka1.jpg

Snow-Parka2.jpg

Snow-Parka3.jpg

Snow-Parka4.jpg

Snow-Parka5.jpg

Snow-Parka6.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Hi Aaron, I don't mind at all, you can exercise your artistic tendencies any way you like. You have a big fan base here.

I've never had much joy with the filters that come packed with Photoshop, I used to really like a plug in called "Buzz Simplifier" but the company producing it went bust and I can't get the version I have to work on any of my computers now. (Vista & 7x64bit)

Snow-Parka.jpg
Original

Snow-Parka-Buzz.jpg
"Buzzed"

It produced an effect a bit like this but better defined somehow.

Snow-Parka-Buzz-Snow.jpg
Added "Snow"

Which provides a good base for mucking about. (Makes me look much more intrepid than I really am.)

Snip> Nice one Wayland, I don't know you well enough to call you Gary as yet, but that's a really nice coat you've got there.

I grew up with the name Gary but most of my real friends call me Wayland so I hope you will consider yourself free to use either.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
As said a cracking piece of work Wayland.
That should be just the thing for up at Odd Knuts Farm, and up on the tops if you venture up there.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oh Wow I mnissed seeing the new postings here, sorry for the dealy in replying. Nice overlays Wayland. I prefer your versions to mine, the snow looks more convincing somehow. Anyway nice work. I'm still learning the rope in photoshop. I mostly use it to tweak a drawing, adding speech bubbles etc, so I rarely get a chanc to play with a proper photograph, so I've added those manipulations to my learning curve.

All the best Wayland and thanks for the positive response.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Nothing too clever.

I used a "spotty" brush to make a bunch of white spots on a layer, duplicated the layer three times and rotated each layer to move the dots around a bit and reduce any apparent patterns.

To introduce movement I used the motion blur filter with a slightly different angle and length on each layer then reduced each layer visibility by a different amount to simulate the way our eye focusses on stuff.

I can still see it's a horrible fake but if I wanted to spend more time it could easily be improved. As you see it, it's about 5 minutes work I suppose.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Just finished making a Labrador Inuit cap or "Ne-suk" to go with it.

Ne-suk__1_of_1_.jpg

It's based roughly on the pattern in Jaeger's "Wildwood Wisdom"

This one is mainly Sheepskin with a Sealskin outer and trimmed with Reindeer.

That is a truly stunning hat!!! Really like that! :)

Bucketosudz

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2010
UT-USA
Inspiring Wayland, Thanks so much for sharing your projects with us. I have many similar interests as you, now I need to get to work on completing them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE