Snow and best cars for coping (non-4x4s and cheap)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I was driving home in the snow in the Lakes on saturday and was watching people have difficulties. Some were slipping from side to side and wheel spinning on relatively easy slopes but others weren't. You could see big heavy cars and light or puny cars doing well and having difficulty.

That got me thinking what are the good points to have on an ordinary, inexpensive car that gets it through the snow. Assuming no winter tyres and no 4x4 just the same car that you'd have in the summer, what is it that makes some cars ok in snow?? What would be a good car to have year round that would be most likely to cope with the odd snow in winter. Bear in mind winter has only really been bad for a lot of people this winter and the previous two.

My theory is that it has to be a diesel due to the low revs and higher torque that they usually have. I also think that the extra engine weight I believe they have could help too. Then avoiding low profile and wide tyres too perhaps but not too narrow. A small car with thin tyres was really struggling in Ambleside. Also on the road south from Windermere the cars abandoned on the hill were mostly sporty cars with low profile tyres.

Any other characteristics that would stand a car in good stead in winter?

BTW my car is a lowly astra T diesel estate from late 2002. It was mightily impressive but I was not confident though. At the risk of blowing my own trumpet I reckon my driving was good too. I handled the clutch well and steering (skidded a lot and the front was moving a bit at times even at 30mph max speed everyone was doing). I suppose drivers make a big difference too. Higher gear and lower revs and all that. Plus good car control all add to getting home or paying out for expensive B&Bs (who probably would cash in too).

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
It's not the cars it's the drivers. Snow chains help a lot, where I live in France the police will wheel-clamp your car if you haven't got them.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
not being silly enough to drive in conditions that a normal road car on normal tyres can handle safely is the biggest mod i would make to most people, those auto socks seen to do the trick for most cars\vans, if your on snow not ice, airing down your tyres will help traction BUT if you have no means to pump them back up you will have dangerous handling at anything over 5 mph, think of it as a means of getting unstuck,

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
When at work I have access to a softroader 4x4, various Ford Transit Connects and the odd Ford Focus and Fiesta. Far and away the best in snow is the Fiesta though. I have a memory of coping admirably in an old Citroen 2CV. Just remember that a Front Wheel Drive is nearly as good as a 4x4 in these circumstances.

Chains or Socks help but the main thing is the driver. Nothing with too low a ground clearance mind as it will dig in the body in even a moderate drift.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The 245 35 19 sport tyres on my motor are next to useless in the snow, any slight hill and I'm stopping without momentum. 220bhp and a big fat turbo to the front wheels doesn't help either.

I'm seriously considering a 4x4 for sake of a week of snow once a year.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I was in Germany a week of so ago, sub zero conditions a lot of the time, lots of snow about both wet slushy and dry and crispy, there didnt seem to be huge problems but then again everyone runs on proper winter tyres and actually drove to the conditions..... mostly

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
1993 Renault Clio with the cheapest tires going and I've always been fine. It's more than 50% the driver IMO.

If I total that, I've always got an inherited Rover Metro waiting in my garage. Total babe magnet that one. Bet it's a beast in heavy snow too!

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
I was in Ystradfellte last week and watched the odd Landie just about make it up a very snowy/icy hill. Twice I saw a snallisg van nip up them with no problems and on the last day I saw it was Welsh water.
It didn't look like a 4WD but unless the driver had mastered the art of levitation, it was a damn fine 4WD sonething or other.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Ive just sold an Audi A6 and that was pants in the snow but if you want a good reliable car that handles the snow
Volkswagen passat 2.0 tdo 4motion. Had this car last year and copes with almost everything.

Jaan

Forager
Apr 22, 2011
Tallinn, Estonia
There have been two topics about winter driving.

I live in Estonia where the winters are pretty harsh and the government is too poor to clean up most roads properly. Winter tyres are mandatory and so is a winter driving exam.

The first topic is here, with my post: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82157&page=2&p=994820&highlight=#post994820
And the second topic with my post on tyres: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76989&p=935040&highlight=#post935040

Hope they help!

Short version: 1. It's the driver, 2. It's the tyres, 3. It's 4wd

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Knowing when not to go out is the key. I have a fast lowered BMW with coilovers & wide tyres. Fantastic on normal roads & goes through roundabouts like it is on rails but is useless on even 1mm of ice/snow. I simply try not to drive it when there is snow or ice around. If I have to go out I stick to the main roads & try to check with someone at the destination to see what the roads are like there before I leave. Am going to get a pair of snow socks as a backup and have thick rubber mats that have got me home several times now. This is why I am convincing myself that I need a Jeep Wrangler in my life...

forestwalker

2wd or 4wd, if you cant put the power to the road it wont help at all. I was always suspect of winter tyres but having seen them in action im a convert, that said the ones i have seen in the UK dont seem to be the same as the ones over there!

Winter tyres come in many different models, made for different climates. Here I have Nordman, which is Nokians budget brand. made for the north, so they are soft and grippy even at -30 C. Plenty of depth in pattern, sips and metal studs (which you can't have in the UK?). But in warm weather they would be way to soft and wear out fast.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria

Don't knock the Panda!! There was a survey about 15 years or so ago in the Telegraph or sunday times motoring section for the car with the greatest mileage still in use in UK. IIRC there were quite a few FIAT Pandas up there in the high mileage list. Including a 4x4 version. One person who had one lived in the countryside but couldn't afford a much needed 4x4 but could the panda version. They'd never been stuck in since getting it and even cut across fields when necessary in it. Seems they are just about the only Italian car to be reliable. At least the older versions back then. Reckon Italian cars are better now though.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Vans and small transit type bed truck all seemed to handle the snow as well as the normal 4x4s I noticed. There were quite a few more modded 4x4s out I noticed. I am not talking about the sort you actually might see off road but the real bling type 4x4s and 4x4 pickups with big tyres and lifted suspension but blacked out windows and all black and chrome. I never see a truly bling offroader in the Lakes apart from some animal type Mitsubishi pickups or equivalent from time to time. Last sunday I saw some really nice 4x4s. Things like double cab pickup landy (didn't know they made anything like them) with tinted windows, tyres you'd see on those arctic or nordic trucks made by that Icelandic company (well the smaller tyres they do not the truly huge ones). They were driving around for fun I reckon. I was stuck in a jam and saw the same fancy 4x4 go past on the wrong side of the road, come back then drive back again. Some decent offroaders were with that rescue group that has regions and in harsh winters and other difficult situations support emergency services to get to trapped people due to snow or floods. Can't remember the name but I reckon some were out to help people. Others where hooning around for fun I think. Liked the fancy 4x4s. Perhaps one day (after big lottery win).....

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Knowing when not to go out is the key. I have a fast lowered BMW with coilovers & wide tyres. Fantastic on normal roads & goes through roundabouts like it is on rails but is useless on even 1mm of ice/snow. I simply try not to drive it when there is snow or ice around. If I have to go out I stick to the main roads & try to check with someone at the destination to see what the roads are like there before I leave. Am going to get a pair of snow socks as a backup and have thick rubber mats that have got me home several times now. This is why I am convincing myself that I need a Jeep Wrangler in my life...

This is true of all peoples lives, 4.0 is the only way to go!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I drive a Volvo S60 and with winter mode on, the auto box is a dream on bad roads. For the few days a year we have snow in London I am not going to invest in a spare set of wheels with winter tyres on because the regular ones seem to cope well. The hayabusa is another story completely however.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE