'sling blade' slashers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They are okay for hacking back thick stuff in a relatively small area. The handles aren't very ergonomic and its hard work. Doing a large area would get you blisters quick time. I'd rather use a scythe with a ditch blade if you can lay hands on one. Or better yet a bladed brush cutter on a proper harness :)

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I'm already thinking that a gardening sickle would be more useful.

I have an allotment with lots of long grass, wire fences. No petrol-powered strimmer (and IME, strimmers and wire fences don't get along).

I've cut the grass back with shears before, but it is a very long slow job. Might be better with a stick to hook with and a sickle like this:

31nnNIaq9AL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You have to kneel down to cut close to the ground with that

I was thinking more scythe than sickle

Mary mowing 2.jpg

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I would get in there with a spade then cover the area with something to stop it growing back. What ever you use to cut it down, turn your back for second and it will have grown back.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Good implied advice to have a stick in the other hand. Too easy to put hand in the way of the sickle blade if you haven't got that stick to manipulate the grass etc.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ahhh

I think dwardo has the best idea then

If you chat up a tree surgeon he will probably give you all the woodchip you can use. Makes a great path and supresses weeds.

I'm just doing the paths round the greenhouse with it

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Ahhh

I think dwardo has the best idea then

If you chat up a tree surgeon he will probably give you all the woodchip you can use. Makes a great path and supresses weeds.

I'm just doing the paths round the greenhouse with it

Just did the same my self red, screen and woodchip. Saves a whole lot of weeding.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Around here? I think any tree surgeons here sell the woodchip - it costs a fortune.

I did try slashing the grass/nettles back with a draw hoe - just bent the handle.

macem

May 20, 2009
south wales
I use a Martindale grass slasher on the allotment, Red is right the handle will give you blisters I've sanded the handle down a bit and it's alot better. I also use a Rolson billhook for the smaller area's, i don't mind using them i need the exercise. :)

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have seen them in use on the allotments, keeping the grass down on the edge of a path, close to the fence. A conventional blade is too long and gets in the way doing that. It's a case of the right tool for the right job. Good in a tight corner.

Basha72

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2006
Torbay
To be honest the sickle is a great tool to use, and maintained it will last for years and is quiter on the ears, with practice you'll stop hitting the fence ! Like most edge tools its only any good being very sharp otherwise you'll just knock the grass and weeds over ! And do make sure you have a stick in the other hand about a meter in length and thick enough that ou won't cut through it in one swing, but if you do cut through it hopefully that will be a close enough call to realise a thicker stick is needed and without the stick that could have been your leg ! The stick also helps you keep a decent position while cutting

Dave

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
To be honest the sickle is a great tool to use, and maintained it will last for years and is quiter on the ears, with practice you'll stop hitting the fence ! Like most edge tools its only any good being very sharp otherwise you'll just knock the grass and weeds over ! And do make sure you have a stick in the other hand about a meter in length and thick enough that ou won't cut through it in one swing, but if you do cut through it hopefully that will be a close enough call to realise a thicker stick is needed and without the stick that could have been your leg ! The stick also helps you keep a decent position while cutting

Dave

There are sickles and then there are sickles though, it depends upon the angle of the blade to the handle. There are those that I would call more of a "hand scythe" than a true sickle in the way that you swing them, and they will tangle with fences. At the moment the grass is so wet you just can't cut it with anything, all you do is beat it down. Dunno 'bout strimmers and mowers but I cleared the back path to my allotment from the waist high grass, cow parsley and gawd knows what by driving my 4WD over it.

I once nearly cut my thumb off sharpening a sickle of the traditional kind. Ouch!

You do not want to hear about my brothers "grim reaper" scythe though. He has one hanging from his ceiling, like a sword of Damocles, and the comfy "guest" chair is directly beneath it.

Sile86

Jun 21, 2011
Treviso (Italia)
I use the schyte to cut the grass in my vineyard. Not an easy job. You have to learn how to use the instrument and to do less work you have to cut the grass at dawn. The dew makes the blade slide better. I use shyte because I like using old instruments but if you want to do less work you can use the brush cutter.

Basha72

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2006
Torbay
There are sickles and then there are sickles though, it depends upon the angle of the blade to the handle. There are those that I would call more of a "hand scythe" than a true sickle in the way that you swing them, and they will tangle with fences. At the moment the grass is so wet you just can't cut it with anything, all you do is beat it down. Dunno 'bout strimmers and mowers but I cleared the back path to my allotment from the waist high grass, cow parsley and gawd knows what by driving my 4WD over it.

I once nearly cut my thumb off sharpening a sickle of the traditional kind. Ouch!

You do not want to hear about my brothers "grim reaper" scythe though. He has one hanging from his ceiling, like a sword of Damocles, and the comfy "guest" chair is directly beneath it.

I have both, it's all about judging distance and like I say practice we had to use all sorts of hand tools when I first start forestry before they let us loose on the machinery lol

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
I've just got a Sheffield Slasher for the same task on my newly acquired allotment.

I appreciate and acknowledge that there are probably better tools + solutions, but I'm on a budget.

The handle and the fixings are not well finished - I've sanded the handle which has helped, but one of the rivets is proud and will cause problems. I'm going to try a paracord wrap and if that doesn't work perhaps get some thick leather and epoxy it on. I'm also thinking to make a canvas sheath for it and attach a paracord sling for easy carrying.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK

What sort do you reckon works ok?

I can get hold of a 'traditional' sickle cheaply and easily, this sort:

Vintage-Grain-Sickle-1049828.jpg

But the grass slasher type is a bit harder to find (apart from tin-foil modern versions):
images

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
What sort do you reckon works ok?

I can get hold of a 'traditional' sickle cheaply and easily, this sort:

Vintage-Grain-Sickle-1049828.jpg

But the grass slasher type is a bit harder to find (apart from tin-foil modern versions):
images

I have used both in my time, at the moment what I have is the grass slasher type (as shown in the bottom picture). Both of them require too much bending for comfort but the bottom one seems to cause less strain.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE